GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:02:17 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aiming mode and PP7 adjustments  (Read 11723 times)

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Aiming mode and PP7 adjustments
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

I think aiming should stay as it is. If I had to stop every time I aimed I'd probably die trying every single time. The fact that this is on PC and not N64 means these sorts of things need to be changed for better gameplay... which has been said over, and over, and over. I do agree with no aim while jumping, though.

The idea of GE64 style aiming just doesn't seem like it would feel right at all. I think the current way of aiming works just fine.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 08:13:06 pm »

well, frankly I don't care either way it goes. :D Aiming is still aiming for me...and I never use the shift button hardly at all. But yeah, just for those people that didn't know, you can't move while holding R in 64..you can only lean. :D That is the only reason why it might have been reconsidered for this, but whatever. I frankly don't care. I think the PP7 being fixed might be a good suggestion though. It does lean too far to right.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:58 am »

Garry Newman (the insane genius behind Garry's Mod) made something similar to what I think you're talking about StrikerMan, in lua.

Is what you meant?

Pretty much. (Except have more of the "Feel" of how the crosshair and view moves with the mouse like PD:S, I don't like how the one in that video "Drifts" when you get closer to the screen edge until you center the crosshair again... PD:S Controls more like a normal PC FPS in that such a thing doesn't happen.)

Something like that would be awesome. If someone could pull off something like that in GES with a moving viewmodel, they would definitely get a cookie. (What exactly makes something so simple as moving a View Model, such a difficult thing to code, exactly? An explanation would be nice.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:33:21 am by StrikerMan780 »

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

I'll pose your difficulty question with a series of questions:

Do you know matrix algebra?

Can you tell how to transform the local eular angles of the root bone of the view model to match the 2D position of your mouse aimer while still maintaining 3D orthogonality?

What is a "good" feel? How can we make it customizable to different players styles while still maintaining fairness?

It's a lot more complicated then you might imagine.

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:09 am »

My vote on N64 aiming: NO. That's meant for arcade shooting games with scripted movement!

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 12:00:04 am »

By your completely fail logic, The original GE shouldn't have even had it. GE wasn't an arcade light-gun shooter with scripted movement, and it was done phenomenally well.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 07:33:14 am »

I'll pose your difficulty question with a series of questions:

Can you tell how to transform the local eular angles of the root bone of the view model to match the 2D position of your mouse aimer while still maintaining 3D orthogonality?

Somebody grab me a gun.....wtf is an eular........I don't think I even understood a general root of that sentence...THANK GOD I AM A NURSE :D *raises stethoscope in the air* :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 02:52:15 am »

Somebody grab me a gun.....wtf is an eular........I don't think I even understood a general root of that sentence...THANK GOD I AM A NURSE :D *raises stethoscope in the air* :)
Dont worry about it its one of his 3 languages he speaks  English, gibberish and rubbish its up to you to decide which it is.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 04:36:44 am »

HAHA, in lamens it means rotating the view model properly so that it still looks like the gun is pointing in the right direction when you move the aiming crosshair across the screen.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »

Ray tracing.

It's a lot more complicated then you might imagine.
You can also decide to make it sound a lot more complicated to newbie than it actualy is :P

ThePlumb3r

• Agent
  • ThePlumb3r has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »

Honestly, I think aiming is fine just as it is.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:58 am »

Hear hear.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up