GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:41:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Armoured train  (Read 9399 times)

monkeyface

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • monkeyface has no influence.
Armoured train
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:51:04 pm »

This is a model I've recently started to work on. Got the idea that I would (if I could) map ge_train. After some sketching I realized that this map would be defined by its textures and props, that's the reason that I start off with a prop like this..
The model could make use of some optimizing but I think it's off for a good start. The plan is to use a 512*512 texture and not to use more than 500 tris, if you have any objections you just have speak up. I need all the input I can get!

As reference I use snaps from the DVD and I also look at the actual D8188 train which the duck train was built on.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: Armoured train
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:56:20 pm »

While the train prop is fairly simple in geometry, it has a large surface area, and will need a detailed normal map. I would say to use a 1024 texture, it needs to look really good as this is the main attraction of the map.  I'm not sure how you are planning to do the entire train, but it seems like a 1024 map for each car would be reasonable.  Use all the geometry you need to define the major shapes, as again, this is the defining prop for the level   It needs to hold up to the quality of the rest of our maps. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:48:48 pm »

since the object is so large, and its the focal point of the level, don't skimp on the poly count, make sure to model in all the major forms, and focal areas like the star. defenatly use a 1024 map for this guy too.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

monkeyface

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • monkeyface has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:57:45 pm »

While the train prop is fairly simple in geometry, it has a large surface area, and will need a detailed normal map. I would say to use a 1024 texture, it needs to look really good as this is the main attraction of the map.  I'm not sure how you are planning to do the entire train, but it seems like a 1024 map for each car would be reasonable.  Use all the geometry you need to define the major shapes, as again, this is the defining prop for the level   It needs to hold up to the quality of the rest of our maps. 

You're right, took a look at the HL2 trains to get some inspiration and a 1024 texture is in order. There are four wagons visible from the outside, this one, one with the helicopter inside, the computer room wagon you escape from and then one you can't really see in the game. Guess that would require at least two models.. I'll try to hold up the quality but it's mostly a personal challenge!

since the object is so large, and its the focal point of the level, don't skimp on the poly count, make sure to model in all the major forms, and focal areas like the star. defenatly use a 1024 map for this guy too.

Haha, it will be interesting to see if I can make it worth it..

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:48:59 pm »

well if you keep at it and dont give up and do good with criticism from us, and any other forums your on, im sure you'll do really well.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1]   Go Up