GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:24:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Add these Muzzle Flashes  (Read 15773 times)

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
Add these Muzzle Flashes
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:52:24 pm »

I've been using these Muzzle Flashes for GES for a while now, makes Gunfire in GES Look more Authentic and Action Movie/GE64 N64-like. And, best of all, doesn't remind us of playing a Half-Life 2 mod. I was thinking they could be included right in GES, so everyone can enjoy them.

Here is a Screenshot (Looks a lot Better in Motion though):

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/ef96a5e8-00b7-4270-b0db-dfcd07ca48ba/epicflash

^ for those who wanna try those out themselves, the download link is right there. Just extract the ZIP straight into SteamApps\SourceMods\GeSource\

If your Zip application supports full paths, make sure it is enabled, so it extracts in the right place.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:01:34 pm by StrikerMan780 »

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Add these Muzzle Flashes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:20:54 pm »

I would recommend making the first sprite less transparent (Don't know if its as noticeable ingame) as it currently looks more like a sprite instead of awesomeness coming out of the muzzle of the gun.

Only weapon I feel needs a new muzzleflash sprite right now is the RCP-90, which is right now really only the standard HL2 muzzleflash compared to the awesome 3-streaks of flame that it could be (Like the AR33 muzzleflash).

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:34:00 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:24:46 pm »

We intend on going to full particle effects for our muzzle flashes at some point, but we don't have very many skilled particle people...

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:05:50 pm »

I would recommend making the first sprite less transparent

It doesn't look so bad in game, the Translucency is sort of randomized, looks WAY better in Motion. Very realistic too. :D

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »

We intend on going to full particle effects for our muzzle flashes at some point, but we don't have very many skilled particle people...

Muzzleflashes aren't that hard apparently, here's one I made:

RCP-90 Muzzleflash. Is there any way to implement it, or is it built into the client.dll? (Or the encrypted weapon scripts)
Oh yeah, and the beam in the center looks funny because it took me a bazillion tries to capture the muzzleflash in action (it's less than 1/2 second), and the image I managed to get was at the end half of the effect.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:30:59 pm by The SSL »

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:58 pm »

Our Ar33 weapon is currently the only one using particle muzzle flashes atm, but I would love to extend it to the other weapons as well. The particles are emitted during the weapons animations, which are defined in the QC for them

Code: [Select]
$sequence fire "v_ar33_fire1" snap fps 30 activity ACT_VM_PRIMARYATTACK 1 {
{ event AE_CL_CREATE_PARTICLE_EFFECT 0 "muzzle_ar33_flash follow_attachment muzzle" }
{ event 6001 0 "1" }
}
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:20:16 am »

woooow, this looks fantastic !  flashes like this would be perfect
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:26 am »

I love how you guys did the AR33 flash. It looks much better than the default flashes in my opinion.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »

These flashes look good. As Sgt. Kelly said, the AR33 ones are very well made too.

Those ones seem to give the weapon a little more spank.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:31 pm »

The flash in the first image seems rather overkill...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:22 am »

I'm going to assume these don't emit light in dark areas, though, right? Like if you were to use a gun in caves would you see the muzzle flash of another player in the dark?
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:22 am »

That should be a GOOD thing!
EDIT: Forgot to mention, muzzle flashes are usually tiny and itty-bitty with small guns and around the size shown for an AR33-sized gun. Also: SILENCERS HIDE THE MUZZLE FLASH ALMOST COMPLETELY, SO NO SILENCED-GUN-MUZZLE-FLASHES-LIKE-IN-THE-MOVIES.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:20:53 pm by Maxaxle »

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WatchMyTrace has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:36:40 am »

This looks good in a action movie kind of concept but myself being somewhat of a weapons expert can tell you that these examples are hugely exaggerated. muzzle flashes are rarely seen during the daytime unless fired from a large caliber weapon (like .50 cal or above) but in dark rooms or at night they are quite visible and sometimes even blinding to the shooter.

Also i have never seen a perfect triangle/ star pattern such as The SSL's mock up (except in Die Hard 2), although the flash does come through the gaps of a flash suppressor such as that found on a AR15 the amount that is thrown forward should be much more than what comes out around the gap (kinda hard to explain sorry i dont have pictures).  Also if you were to use this star effect remember that it requires a flash suppersor witch is not ofen found on pisols and sub machine guns. In fact it should only be used for the Soviet and AR33. 

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:58:25 am »

Not nessecarily true. You could easily put that kind of supressor on a P90. Either way things like this need to be exageratted in games and movies or its just plain dull.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:12 pm »

Also i have never seen a perfect triangle/ star pattern such as The SSL's mock up (except in Die Hard 2), although the flash does come through the gaps of a flash suppressor such as that found on a AR15 the amount that is thrown forward should be much more than what comes out around the gap (kinda hard to explain sorry i dont have pictures).  Also if you were to use this star effect remember that it requires a flash suppersor witch is not ofen found on pisols and sub machine guns. In fact it should only be used for the Soviet and AR33. 

You should take a look at the muzzleflashes from GoldenEye 007, the game we're recreating. This isn't exactly a realism mod.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4782/goldeneye007usnap0007.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8201/goldeneye007usnap0009.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4531/goldeneye007usnap0015.jpg
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up