GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:21:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two bugs - ge_caves low FPS & autoexec.cfg  (Read 8581 times)

Mastix

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Mastix has no influence.
Two bugs - ge_caves low FPS & autoexec.cfg
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »

Two things I am not sure the devs are aware of:
1) autoexec.cfg doesn't automaticly execute itself unlike all the other source mods / games.
2) Extremley low FPS in ge_caves for no apperant reason, tried disabling HDR / Bloom / lowering all the effects and w/e. I have no FPS problems at all in all the Source games and mods I play even in huge detailed maps. Another two guys that were on the server with me complained about performance in ge_caves aswell.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:54:00 pm by Mastix »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
Re: Two bugs - ge_caves low FPS & autoexec.cfg
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »

add exec autoexec.cfg to either the valve.rc file or the launch parameters of goldeneye source.
Cave dose get bad FPS for some reason.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »

use valve.rc to do auto execution on server load (ONCE) and server.cfg for execution on every map change.  There is no need for autoexec.cfg anyway and I don't think its supported in the OB SDK.

Caves FPS is due to the demands of the HDR and the Particle Effects. Sorry.

Mastix

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:08 pm »

use valve.rc to do auto execution on server load (ONCE) and server.cfg for execution on every map change.  There is no need for autoexec.cfg anyway and I don't think its supported in the OB SDK.

Caves FPS is due to the demands of the HDR and the Particle Effects. Sorry.
Even when HDR is off it's not amazingly smooth.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:27 pm »

Then your computer sucks (hehe). Lower your AA.

We can't make the game for every possible configuration, you have to step up to the plate at some point and configure your settings appropriate to your system and your desired FPS.

Mastix

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »

Then your computer sucks. Lower your AA.
Omg seriously, I said that I played way heavier Maps with all the effects on and max res, the FPS here isn't normaly low, it's bumpy with FPS spikes.
My system is : Radeon HD 4870, 4 Giga of Ram, Core 2 Duo E8400

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:02:20 pm »

Omg seriously, I said that I played way heavier Maps with all the effects on and max res, the FPS here isn't normaly low, it's bumpy with FPS spikes.
I agree something is strange going on with that map, I have same CPU as you but a lesser powerful 8800GT and barely abd last night I barely got 30 FPS in soem parts of the map.
It is strange though because I tried just now in lsten server and it all ran smooth as silk, there must be soem sort of leak that causes FPS to drop over time?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:07:56 pm by keefy »

Mastix

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 05:08:59 pm »

I agree something is strange going on with that map, I have same CPU as you but a lesser powerful 8800GT and barely abd last night I barely got 30 FPS in soem parts of the map.
It is strange though because I tried just now in lsten server and it all ran smooth as silk, there must be soem sort of leak that causes FPS to drop over time?
That's exactly what I think, it seems to happen in specific areas in the map that in them the FPS is bumpy as hell.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »

It's not the particles, the framerate was terrible even before I went in and added them. I think it has to do with the normalmap + spec being applied to every texture in the main room.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:49:39 pm »

Where in caves? Can you take pictures of the areas that drop? They might need a few area portals...

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:58:21 pm »

Sharp I'm pretty sure it's the added shaders, they weren't in Beta 3 and the map ran a lot better (sort of) then. The map is already fully optimized with hint/skip and such.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

Sharp I'm pretty sure it's the added shaders, they weren't in Beta 3 and the map ran a lot better (sort of) then. The map is already fully optimized with hint/skip and such.

Right, I agree with that completely, but I want to make sure that it is not that case. It is possible that the hint in one area may not work properly. Can you check up on that with wireframe? Thx

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »

Your opinion and your specs are two different things. One without the other is a worthless feedback. Now that I have both I would agree with you. What resolution are you playing at (also a very important spec)?

I have 8800 GTS, 6 GB Ram, E6600 Core 2 Duo, and caves runs just fine for me except when there are major explosions in the main room.

How much video ram do you have. That would make a very large difference in terms of texture changes. The actual calculation of spec + normal map is trivial and any modern card can handle it with ease especially since source uses cube maps. But if you have <= 512 MB VRAM then you will have difficulty STORING the calculations at higher resolutions and will have to rely on your system RAM more which slows down your card.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:31:28 pm by killermonkey »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

He has spoken. Its true too lol, I had/have the same problem.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 08:20:43 am »

as much as no one wants to believe me, +showbudget shows a TON of dynamic lighting on caves for me, which kills me on frames. I have HAD similar problems to what he has as I have stated to KM multiple times, but lately I haven't had any issues. After i installed a non-corrupt driver, it hasn't seemed to happen yet. Either way, the stuff SSL was saying and dynamic lighting are killers for frames. Try updating you graphics driver first and then see what happens....

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 12:29:17 am »

I told KM about this moments before release... This map should have gotten more love.

Yes, dynamic lighting is spiking in showbudget. Either there are animated lights in areas, or the point_spotlights didn't have dynamic lighting disabled (enabled by default btw). There was no issues in previous releases, so I don't know whats going on here. I'll look into it once I see Loafie on if he doesn't get into fixing up the problems.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30:37 am »

Probably it's all the named lights that go with the generators.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

little 00

• Secret Agent
  • little 00 has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »

In beta 4. beta 3 ran better.
I cant hold fps in caves map or runway it drops till i get to around 10 and 20 fps then my system crashes and does a system dumps sometimes or sometimes exits the GES
system spec are
Intel core 2 quad Q8200 @2.33 Hz.
8 GB ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (Gddr3. (896MB) 3(refresh rate 75 Hz)
res works best at 800x600 or 1024x786
advance settings all on low, off except filtering is on triliner
about to get rid of windows vista

I have 1 other source game counter strike but i don't play it much
any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Let the source be with you (Goldeneye source)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

I don't get low framerates in caves unless I alt-tab out of game. When I get back in I get bad framerates in areas with generator lights. What I've noticed is that if I destroy all the generators in the map that my framerate returns to normal for the rest of the map.

It was exactly the same in 3.1
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

@little 00

This seems like its a driver issue. UNINSTALL your current drivers and restart. Windows will replace it with the default. THEN reinstall the latest version. Report back when done.

I request more specs on your system, software side. Firewalls, anti virus, etc. What are the specs on your HD (RPM, capacity, etc)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 09:34:19 pm »

You know I have to run exec autoexec manually EVERY DAMN TIME because you haven't fixed this, KM.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

little 00

• Secret Agent
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:31 am »

Older drivers work a little better but have to use higher res or the game skips like on a CD but its on an HDD and that causes over heating problems then the fps goes down and and the game will freeze or exit or crash
I have ran system restore in the past but that only helps for a week then back to the same mess again ???

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 02:08:11 am »

you must have a serious spyware/malware infection or your hard drive is about to poop itself. Suggest you upgrade to windows 7 ASAP and be CAREFUL with what you reinstall back to your system. (DO NOT DO AN UPGRADE OF WINDOWS)

little 00

• Secret Agent
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:03 am »

as little 00 would say in game um ouch
YOUCH or ouch-eee
 :-\
This tempts me to switch to Linux :)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 03:04:27 am »

I run Linux as my main.  The only thing I use windows for is Source, and I don't plug the wire in until it's firewalled.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

little 00

• Secret Agent
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 03:09:30 am »

you must have a serious spyware/malware infection or your hard drive is about to poop itself. Suggest you upgrade to windows 7 ASAP and be CAREFUL with what you reinstall back to your system. (DO NOT DO AN UPGRADE OF WINDOWS)
then 2 hours later vista goes crazy

little 00

• Secret Agent
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 03:39:23 am »

got a replacement HDD and windows 7 getting ready to test GE:S with the upgrades

7FoX

• @_7FoX --> follow me?
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • 7FoX barely matters.7FoX barely matters.
    • Ma Shutube xD
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »

beta3 perfomance FTW

little 00

• Secret Agent
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 03:41:14 am »

Is there a way to disable shadows that has always helped my system with any fps type game?

by the way widows 7 helped but this version got bad problems i have tried the older versions back to beta 1 and they were stable in Comparison video card memory is 896mb gddr3

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up