GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 09:08:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: autoexec.cfg  (Read 8095 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
autoexec.cfg
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

I saw this on the forums yesterday on a thread about hit reg's being off:-

fps_max 101
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
rate 30000
cl_interp 0.03
cl_interp_ratio 2

They said they use this in the autoexec and have not had a problem since. First off, would this make any difference and how? And secondly, is this allowed? I thought editing the files was not allowed, especially if it gives you an advantage.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
Re: autoexec.cfg
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

Those rates look pretty standard, I don't know how that would be considered cheating. On a CSS server people will sometimes bitch you out for running the stock 30/20 rates claiming that you're laggy and hard to hit.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

rate 30000 is way too low especially on the 32 player servers but they rarely allow higher than that :( many misguided server admins think 30000 is the magical awsome lag free number but its not besides that source engien takes a small percentage off whatever rate you use, 30000 is more like 25000 and 25000 is more like 20000.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:53:33 pm by keefy »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »

fps_max 101
Does nothing.  Anything "101" is a Counterstrike meme. FPS Max caps your FPS.  My 120Hz monitor setting would never tolerate this insolence.  Unless you pull crazy fps like 200 all the time, or are doing special engine things, this won't affect much.  Okay, there is a relationship between the fps figure and the mouse polling but that's beyond this discussion.

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
Correct for all Source servers since 100-tick was effectively locked-down due to creeping physics errors causing 100-tick CSS doors to jam.  If your line is shit you would want to drop these to the stock values of 20-30.

rate 30000
This setting is to throttle your connection to prevent choke by telling the server your limit.  In the old days, when I was playing on dialup, I used precisely-calculated rate values to get every bit out of that phone cord without choking.

cl_interp 0.03
cl_interp_ratio 2
This is a double-edged sword.  First, ratio effected by your in/out rates. (Those 66's we saw a bit ago).  If cl_interp is lower than what ratio calculates, ratio dominates.  If your line is choke- and spike-free, 2 should be optimal. Otherwise, make it 3.  cl_interp lets you set a figure, default is 0.100.  The higher your interp, in theory, the better your bullet reg gets and the worse your melee and bump-into-people-responsiveness gets, and vice-versa.  I might do something scientific someday, but usually I run it at 0.04ish and tweak if a server is giving me a lot of reg-fail.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:47:11 am »

Wow, thanks for the description VC, very helpful and appreciated.

djzeratul

• 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • Agent
  • djzeratul has no influence.
    • DivX.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:36 pm »

What effect does higher FPS have on hit detect? I pull 300fps pretty much all the time, would limiting it to 100 make any difference in my hit detection?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 01:07:48 am »

Since ya'll want the details:

There are two things that fps_max affects.

1) To-server update rate.  You send an update once per frame, so a low fps_max can limit your update rate.  Ever see a player moving normally then suddenly jerk around?  His FPS just tanked, his updates slowed down, and the game is in a panic that he isn't sending as fast as he promised.  Assholes used to abuse this in CSS, which is why fps_max is a locked cvar during gameplay.

2) Mouse update rate.  Source engine only checks for input once per frame.  Your mouse has its own refresh rate.  PS/2 mice default to 100Hz but can be jacked up to 1000Hz, though some would go nutty if you did.  I put my MX518s on 500Hz without any problems, 1000Hz, it was not happy.  However, USB mice are handcuffed to your USB bus, which can be overlocked, but at your own risk since EVERYTHING attached will be put into turbo mode.  Normally, it's 125Hz, period.

How this matters: on each frame, the game is going to pull all the cached mouse motion events.  On a low performance system, you get that sluggish laggy feeling.  On a high performance system, you might begin to experience jitter due to one frame getting one mouse update, and the next getting two, skipping the first of those two, making it seem to move in a twitchy way.

Fun way to see this in action:  When the screen is dark (e.g. map changes) and you have your mouse pointer visible, trace rapid cricles.  Thanks to persistence of vision and slow phosphor/LCD responsiveness, you should see a trail effect.  Depending on your display and mouse ratios, there will usually be gaps in otherwise evenly-spaced cursor pointers.

In practice, if you get your mouse on something like 500Hz, even on my display (120Hz CRT, no latency bitches) a jitter caused by the fps/mouse sync ratio would be a difference between taking every fourth and every fifth mouse update; the others are discarded as old news.  250Hz would be plenty for anyone stuck on one of those silly 60Hz and 75Hz displays.  Poor things.

Source loves to suddenly turn to shitty FPS and the hit reg problems are FAR bigger than anything a mouse refresh adjustment or FPS cap could do to you.  But, if you have a powerhouse system, you CAN sync your display and your mouse refresh and your FPS cap to get one hair's breadth closer to perfection.  If I were guaranteed the framerate you get, I would invest it by enabling VSync so I wouldn't tear anymore.

There is  for a client to run fps_max in excess of the display's ability except to waste electricity, and if you can sustain >refresh_Hz, use VSync to guarantee the timing fix and eliminate any tearing issues.  The real use for fps_max on a lower system is to simply smooth it out for the user.  If you swing between 30fps and 90fps because of a crap video card, you can lock it onto something like 40fps and just get used to playing on that without the swings between fast and slow framerates.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

djzeratul

• 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • Agent
  • djzeratul has no influence.
    • DivX.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:09:41 am »

Excellent info, VC. Makes total sense now.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:26 pm »

Since ya'll want the details:

There are two things that fps_max affects.

1) To-server update rate.  You send an update once per frame, so a low fps_max can limit your update rate.  Ever see a player moving normally then suddenly jerk around?  His FPS just tanked, his updates slowed down, and the game is in a panic that he isn't sending as fast as he promised.  Assholes used to abuse this in CSS, which is why fps_max is a locked cvar during gameplay.

This just explained why a friend who I play with flashes, warps and flickers about sometimes yet his ping is less than 20, i told hm over Teamspeak but he say my ping is lower than yours, it nevr occurred it was related to FPS sudenly dropping does have an old crappy PC.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:54:22 pm by keefy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up