GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:14:17 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DuClare Chateau Remake (from Deus Ex)  (Read 29742 times)

Adrian

• Lead Artist
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam profile
DuClare Chateau Remake (from Deus Ex)
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:12:23 pm »

Greetings! I've been lurking around here long enough, so I think it's time to share some of my work. For the past week, I've been re-creating one of my favorite levels from Deus Ex, the DuClare Chateau. Not only did it have awesome music, but I loved the mysterious air to the place. It was so majestic and cool; I wanted to capture that feel and bring it to GE:S. Of course, the single player layout had a fair share of dead-ends and wasn't fit for multiplayer. I took some creative freedoms and tweaked it.

=== Phase 1, drawing the layouts ===
Spoiler for Hiden:
Exterior outline

Floor 1 outline

Floor 2 outline

I soon realized parts of the chateau are cramped, so I decided to re-work the original underground areas and build vertically, adding more playable space to the map. If you remember, the entire underground section was a massive dead-end. That won't fly in mutliplayer.

Underground outline

(Graph paper makes life so much easier)
=== Phase 2, building it from the ground up [Alpha stage] ===

I wanted to make the entire map from scratch, so I chose not to export anything. Plus, exporting from other games/engines could get messy if you're like me and don't know what you're doing. With that in mind, I kept Deus Ex open in one window while working in Hammer, constantly tweaking the scale. And let me tell you, the scale in Deus Ex is massive. Over six days, I had the entire layout with basic lighting and basic optimization, and this is where we are now.

Images are much darker in a browser than the actual game, even though I turned my brightness up in-game :(
Spoiler for Hiden:
Facade

Back exterior

Foyer 1

Foyer 2

Dining room

Kitchen

Computer room

Living room

Back room

Stairway to 2nd floor

Nicolette's hallway

Nicolette's bedroom

Balcony overlooking the foyer

Beth's hallway

Beth's bedroom

Wine cellar, path to outside entrance on right, cellar tunnel on left, kitchen entrance in center

Cellar tunnel, wine cellar on right

Cellar tunnel, stairway to upper floors on right

Early WIP of super computer room, with excavation leading to cellar (breaks in the walls are placeholders)

Stairway to outside hatch behind the chateau

And last, but certainly not least, an overview

Here's the download for the current version, alpha 6.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mx35dshvnx9dvim/Chateau+Remake%2C+Alpha+06.zip

I think it's safe to say I'm just about out of alpha, considering all the basics are done. I spent the majority of this week tuning the flow and layout, making sure it not only made sense but was easy to navigate.

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this, enjoy! I'll definitely keep this updated as I make progress. I'm aiming to have the entire project finished by the end of April, though that seems ambitious. Only time will tell ;)

*EDIT*: Added spoilers on all the pictures to make scrolling less of a hassle
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:39:09 pm by Adrian »
Official releases: Depot, Archives Classic, Library Classic

Third-party releases: Deus Ex-inspired Chateau DuClare

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: DuClare Chateau Remake (from Deus Ex)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:01 pm »

Wow. I am extremely impressed, and I am even more impressed that you used the dev textures properly to ensure height and proportions were kept accurate.

Well done!

Cannot wait to see how this evolves. Cheateu was a very cool level in Deus Ex (not my fav though).

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:59 pm »

and I am even more impressed that you used the dev textures properly to ensure height and proportions were kept accurate.

This. This map would probably have a lot of awesome potential to have a similar ambiance to Bunker ;)
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:48:02 pm »

This is something I'm definitely looking forward to. It looks great, gives me a feeling of bunker/archives mix, and overall the design of it looks stunning. Great work indeed Adrian!

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »

Looks great, I'm sure it'll have a nice atmosphere to it. Can't wait for the final release.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:13:09 pm by soupcan »

XtremeWRATH

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • XtremeWRATH has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »

Im so giddy that so many maps are being done right now, this one looks pretty good layout wise. Never played Deus Ex though so i have no idea what to expect look wise

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:36 pm »

Pure genius. Well done man.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 02:08:48 am »

I like the solid start. The foundation of a map is very important. Your slow solid base is looking very good.

Very interested in this!
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Adrian

• Lead Artist
  • Secret Agent
  • Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!Adrian is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:20:02 pm »

I appreciate all the feedback; it means a lot and gives me more reason to see this through to the end :) A few nights ago, I held the first playtest for the map, where I received some excellent advice.

=== With that said, on to the pictures! ===

Spoiler for Hiden:
A few rooms inside the house were cramped and most of the doorways were just very narrow choke points.

Living room/office, opened up

New and improved bathroom!

Since there was only one way into Nicolette's room, and two windows overlooking the front, it was easy to sit in there and camp. I fixed this by adding a new passage to her room from the bathroom through her closet.

Nicolette's room, with new closet entrance on right

The underground was essentially a maze of hallways and rooms with no height variation, so I rectified the situation by opening up the main cellar.

Cellar tunnel 1

Wine cellar, from cellar tunnel

Cellar offices/cubicles, with stairway to upper floors on right

Cellar offices/cubicles, from front entrance

Cellar tunnel, stairway to backyard hatch

I also played around with the entrances to the super computer room, and left only one excavation tunnel and added a new security/checkpoint kind of hallway.

Security hallway to super computer room

Super computer room, still heavy WIP (Excavation to wine cellar on right, security hallway on left)

I just realized now, that if I wanted to add light in front of the monitors, I only chose the green ones. The white screens seem bright enough to emit enough light, but I completely overlooked this!

This is all I have for now. My next focus is on adding some cover/more details outside, such as hedges, statues, gardens and fountains. I hope this is enough to wet your appetites until next time!

*EDIT*: Added spoilers on the pics to make scrolling a bit easier
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:38:22 pm by Adrian »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »

Looks great. Really love the use of angled brushes in the map.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »

The brushwork O_O

AWESOME!
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Lord_Crow

• I sell stamps and stamp accessories.
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Lord_Crow barely matters.Lord_Crow barely matters.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:28 am »

I so can't wait to jump in for the next playtest.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:55 am »

Woah, that is one hell of an improvement from what we have played the other night. You're on fire!

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:59:46 pm »

+1 Adrian.

Keep at it. Looks awesome so far.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Adrian

• Lead Artist
  • Secret Agent
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 04:29:15 pm »

I'll be taking a break from this over the weekend, since I'm going to Savannah to visit my school. In the mean time, I thought I'd share something, rather than nothing. My next main focus is what will be outside, and I have plenty of ideas flowing. So far I've drawn this horribly out-of-scale diagram to try and represent the basics.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Outside outline

This is what happens when you try and work on anything past 3:00 am, and you're half awake after taking some melatonin.

The idea is to have the hedges outline the terrace on which the chateau sits. I plan on opening the hedges up at strategic spots, but I really wouldn't know where to start with them just on paper. I'm also planning on adding some cute little gardens outside for the armor, or something to that effect. That's all for now!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:02:13 am by Adrian »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up