GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:58:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Func_smokevolume appears black when supposed to be white  (Read 4821 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Func_smokevolume appears black when supposed to be white
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:21:43 am »

Hey guys,

Working on siberia and I ran into a problem that I have been unable to solve. I have talked to sharpshootah and he and I are at a loss. So here is the problem:

I place brush and then texture it as trigger. I then hit contol+t and define it as a func_smokevolume.
After defining the colors as white or a bluish white (the color of snow mist), it appears grey/blackish in game after compiled.

I have created a test map that is a box and then made a new smokevolume in it with the same values and it appeared correct. So it has to be something with the real map that I am not figuring out.

I have checked for leaks in the map and I have copied and pasted the map over to a fresh map file. The problem was still there. I even tried to copy and paste the exact smokevolume entity from runway and it still appears black/greyish. I keep thinking it has to deal with a certain lighting part of my map casting shadows or something but I have yet to find anything in my light_environment or anything else that would be casting a shadow or something to make it look like that. Here is a picture below.

http://gesource.wcservers.net/ccsaint10/Images/ge_siberia_final_decsmoke0001.jpg

Don't pay attention to the snow, it has been reworked and doesn't look quite as big. But notice how the smoke clouds are black?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is probably one of the last few things left to figure out before I send it out to you guys. :)

Thanks,
Saint

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Func_smokevolume appears black when supposed to be white
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:19:39 am »

I thought about it for a bit, and the only possible cause I can think of is the origin lighting.

Check where the brush origin is (if there is one) it should be a small draggable circle/sphere within the brush. It may be that the lighting of the smokevolume is determined by the lighting at the origin... in which case try dragging the origin to an area with the appropriate lighting.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »

Well, it is made out of a trigger brush so it doesn't have the same icon like a func_breakable does. So that can't be it. Any other takers?

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:08 pm »

I remember we had this issue with runway before releasing 3. While testing it, it would change from white to black when changing resolution or certain other graphic settings :/

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »

Doc's correct, old very fun bug
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

CCsaint10

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:27:26 am »

mine isn't the same as that....it is black no matter in window mode or fullscreen. It doesn't change and is there all the time....GAH. I still don't get fog on runway even today. lol

doc, can you post those black and white pictures in that thread? I want to see how similar those are to mine.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:42:30 pm »

Hmm dont think I have them anymore. Leme dig the HDD though you never know. From what I can remember, it was similar to the fog you have in the screenshot posted in the OP.

CCsaint10

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

Thanks man. Let me know if you find it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up