GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 10:59:10 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [BUG] Sticky/jerky movement  (Read 9176 times)

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • steven_m64 has no influence.
[BUG] Sticky/jerky movement
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »

i have noticed a good bit of sticky / jerky movement and it scales depending on how high your ping is at the time (ie if your playing on a listenserver or lan you will not see this effect unless you enable fake lag)

you can see the effect by just playing in a server with less then optimal ping and running around you will tend to get stuck/have slightly jerky movement in some areas such as smaller vents or if you run close to objects in the map or walls.

This can be seen often randomly in most source games but to this degree only way its this bad is if the server and client bounding/movement boxes are not exactly the same size(or getting out of sync) i have seen this before in a mod i worked on and it was a pretty simple fix in code.

the jerkiness is caused due to client-server prediction errors so you will get that jerky movement that just drives me and some other users f'ing crazy. ;P

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: [BUG] Sticky/jerky movement
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:31:12 pm »

I (VC) know, I (VC) keep telling them (KM) and they (KM) keep ignoring me (VC) in the form of WHAAAA I (KM) dunt wanna fix it valve code is messy and theres lots of it and go away!

Which means unless you submit that simple fix, it simply won't be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:32:59 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »

its simple to fix IF you have the code to work on, if you can get me access i am sure i can fix it without too much effort.  ;D

the game should play a good bit smoother if it was fixed, a lot less distracting also.

that and no sense in having poor server owners having clients think there getting lag on their server witch most noobs think thats what it is when it happens.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:38:44 pm by steven_m64 »

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:38:34 pm »

I know this won't help much, but I noticed if you jump once or twice, it will usually stop.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:23 pm »

yes because the act of jumping changes your bounding box temporary bringing the client-server bounding boxes in sync..

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:44:46 pm »

You would need to go through the application process, and I don't think KM wants any more cooks in the kitchen.  But if you can describe the repair process, which shouldn't be too troubling...

Not only is jumping not an excuse, but it isn't even supposed to be enabled universally, though this issue is certainly a good reason for no one to turn jumping off.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:04 pm »

yeah and without jumping how can you get a good close view of the hidden growroom on archives  ;)

also impossible to get into the attic on archives via the crates with jumping disabled.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:58:27 pm »

What I would like is a special Jump Zone be added to our mapper's arsenels.  When jumping is off, it would still function if you are in the jump zone, which would wrap things like crates that are specifically intended to be mantled.  That would allow a server to disable jump and still run non-classic maps to their proper potential.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

could also have ladders that mappers place and set disabled only for use when jumping is off.

as for hints to fixing the problem its a bit hard to talk someone through fixing a problem when you have no idea how much of the base code was edited.

but some things to check are:
- code where SetCollisionBounds is used within player classes
- the GetPlayerMaxs and GetPlayerMins functions for problems.
- any changes the mod has made to gamemovement.cpp

short of that running the game through the VS debugger and placing breakpoints and seeing where things are becoming out of sync.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:43 pm »

Magic ladders make people float, and ladders are really buggy.  They irritate me more than this location desync thing because I've never taken falling damage from the desync.  I'd much rather just have a trigger and let people mantle things than have to touch a specific spot to levitate.

Thank you for your information, now to await SUPER KM's arrival.  Assuming he wasn't eaten by yeti.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:39:55 pm »

Magic ladders?

you mean the new/HL2 style ladders?

you can actually change to the old style/hl1 ladders with a very small bit of work in code fyi.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:34 am »

I went through our code and here are the results:

1. SetCollisionBounds is called ONCE in the player code, the same as in HL2MP, when the player ducks to make sure their hitboxes are correct
2. GetPlayerMax/Min is correct
3. No modifications were made to gamemovement.cpp that would warrant sticking...

Please PM/IM/Post whatever fix your mod did, it shouldn't matter what OUR code is like, because clearly this is an SDK / setup problem

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:53 am »

"because clearly this is an SDK / setup problem"

i dont know about that, from what i remember it was not introduced until after we changed a good bit of code (due to the fact we added leaning and the ability to go prone)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 04:28:58 am »

Seeing how GE:S doesn't have Leaning or Prone I do not see how we could have introduced it. I haven't changed ANY bounding box, collision box, whatever code aside from the team mate thing, but it was present BEFORE that was put into the code. This has been an issue since we started using the OB engine as far as I remember.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:38:24 am »

It was in Beta1 as well.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up