GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 04:04:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Composer  (Read 7210 times)

TenchuX

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TenchuX has no influence.
Composer
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:15 pm »

Howdy...

Name: Chris
Career: Video Game Design in 2009 (I guess it rhymes too)

When I saw this site and found out what you were all trying to do it really gave me some happy flashbacks to when I was playing GoldenEye in late middle school.  As such I figured I could throw in an app to see if I could be apart of this awesome venture.  I've always been a huge fan of video game music.  I actually got into music as a hobby because if it back in 2003.  Since then I've been off and on when it's come to making music due to school dedication.  I'm here to inquire if you need a composer to do a song for your game.  I read in past posts that you may have the songs covered however they are fairly old so I don't know if that's still the case.  Regardless, if you need 1 song done I'd like to do it if you like what I offer.  I can't commit to anything like 3+ though if that's the current situation due to real life obligations... plus I'd rather make one really good song that I can get obsessive with than try to rush more at lesser quality.

Below is a dictionary of my terms as well as samples of my work for you to listen to.  They are arranged somewhat by genre.  Some of the "techno/trance" ones were collaborations as well, though that was from a song witting stance only.

Dictionary of what my terms mean:

Remix = Keeps a theme of the original melody while also going in different directions.  Essentially, it's an original song with the full spirit of the song it's a "Remix" of.

Remastering = Little to no note changes at all from the original, though there may be some instrument changes.  Equates to the original song with updated sounds and effects while attempting to capture or exceed the same feeling of the original as well.

Redo = Similar to Remastering however these are done from songs that are already superior and are not in need of Remastering.  More or less done for fun to see how I could replicate the song with my own programs.

Symphonic/Orchestral/Instrumental/Mix

Chrono Cross Remix - my favorite song I've done - http://remix.thasauce.net/song/RTS0040/

Donkey Kong Country - Remastering Project - http://www.myspace.com/dkcremastered

Mario Kart 64 Remastering http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/24668

Mario 64 Remastering http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/25833

Edward Scissorhands Redo - even has a choir - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/182948

Techno/Trance/Mix

Secret of Mana Remix - my favorite in this genre - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/94740

Donkey Kong Land 2 Remix - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/29871

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Remix - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/19198

F-Zero Remastering - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/22720

Samba Adagio Redo - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/74048

Anyway, I know that's a chunk of songs to hear but I figure if you should hear a broad range of sounds to help you come to a conclusion assuming you still need someone for a song.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon,

Chris
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:48:47 pm by TenchuX »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: Composer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:18 pm »

I like what i hear, however im no sound designer by anymeans so wait until Audix or Basstronix comes through

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

TenchuX

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:15 pm »

I like what i hear, however im no sound designer by anymeans so wait until Audix or Basstronix comes through

I just went to Audix's website and was rather amazed at his quality of work.  It's extremely professional, crisp and well arranged.  I'd assume he also has hardware to go with his software for additional umph.  I wonder if he uses Cubase or Logic?  I was not aware of the quality of musicians you already had... my offer still is out there however, I can see if I'm not needed.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:00:27 am »

We have two guys as professional actually. Basstronix was our primary composer and been so since 2005, now the two share the load, as goldeneye has tracks numbering in the 20's and actually this way if they both do a song people can choose their favourite etc

Between them I reckon its covered, but the leaders will be along to confirm that. I liked what i heard by the way :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:22:58 am »

Do you do sound fx at all? Weapon sounds? Have access to said studio(s)?

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:44:32 am »

Finally. Someone else with a passion for video game music.
Excellent work. Added most of those to my 2-day playlist. =D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:46:26 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

TenchuX

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:16:29 am »

Do you do sound fx at all? Weapon sounds? Have access to said studio(s)?

If your asking if I am capable of making sound effects... I do know how it's done in the "film/game industry" etc.  aka. crunch a bowl of cereal to make it sound like you're crunching some leaves while walking in the woods or banging metal against a radio tower wire to make the blaster sounds you hear in Star Wars.  However, that requires a quality microphone and matching setup.  All I have in terms of microphone recording is a cheap little thing on my desk, so nothing portable.

Real world sounds are the best way to make sound effects that aren't super futuristic... and even then the real world does pretty good at that.

Now if you're talking about digitally creating sounds, I'm sure I can make some stuff, but probably nothing you really want for this game...basically just beeping sounds, low pitch pads and the like.  Nothing that could resemble a weapon sound (AK-47 etc) for the game.

The most I've ever done in creating my own "sound effects" was recording me breathing and then changing the pitch, adding EQ work, and then some reverb to make a creepy wind sound for a Super Metroid song.

Hope that answered your question :)

P.S.

Glad you (Rodney 1.666) and the others liked it.  Video game music is vastly underrated as a viable form of music.  I have more great memories from game music than anything other type of music... but then again that's probably because I've played games all my life.  Film music would be next on my list though ;D!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:09:02 am by TenchuX »

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:16 am »

I like your remix of the chrono cross song.  Like the others have said, however, the music is almost entirely done. Basically all that happens now is a random new remix will pop up, either by me or Audix.  If the team likes it, we throw it in as a choice.  Sorry buddy.

We could always use a hand in the sound department though.

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:07:58 am »

Best of luck to you! Very cool to see you interested in remixing game soundtracks; I enjoy doing that as well. If you didn't catch them the first time through my site, you may be interested in checking out remixes from Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Chrono Trigger, Jade Empire, and Goldeneye (duh) here:

http://www.audixmusic.com/documents/remixes.html (I'll be uploading a brand new one from Banjo-Kazooie on the 31st, too)

And to answer your question, I produce everything entirely in FL Studio (bass does too). I have no hardware that I use aside from my headphones, monitors, and keyboard. :)

TenchuX

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:58 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I'm actually amazed you both were able to pump such quality sounds out of FL and without any hardware help.  Pretty much all the big remixers I used to chat with in OCR back when I was more active used Reason or Cubase.  You probably use some really good plugins/rewire, great samples and are exceptional and EQ/Stereo mastering.  I'm kind of out of the loop as far as advancements have come and only just got FL Studio 8... all but the Scissorhands song are on FL Studio 4 or 6 with old vst's etc.

Anyway, again thanks for the replies and good luck.  Sorry I can't be much help in the "weapon sound effects" category. I'll be looking forward to the game and your songs.  I'll also be looking forward to your Banjo song Audix ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:14:58 am by TenchuX »
Pages: [1]   Go Up