GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:37:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take courses online, for free!  (Read 6883 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Take courses online, for free!
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:09 am »

https://www.coursera.org

Next year, Im going to take a computer networking course, to keep my mind sharp and up to date.

Who's with me?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Take courses online, for free!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:50:32 am »

I'm all for personal betterment (went through a couple www.udacity.com courses)....

but you get what you pay for. You won't get any form of credit for the course nor will you get a certificate.

Kratos

• Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:09 am »

I'm all for personal betterment (went through a couple www.udacity.com courses)....

but you get what you pay for. You won't get any form of credit for the course nor will you get a certificate.

Hmm it says in the faqs

"Will I get a certificate after completing this class?

Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a certificate signed by the instructor."

source: https://www.coursera.org/course/algebra

bullshit you think?

edit: im sure like math, computer courses would be better if you registered at a physical location, rather than online. I find that you learn better when your with the teacher face to face interaction.

For programming,  online courses help? maybe/maybe not.

speaking of all this, i just fucking realized i have to register for my courses!!!!! lol
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:22:02 am by Terrowrist »

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

I think so. Not all free stuff is good.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:07 pm »

I got a certificate "signed" by the instructor of the udacity course, but it means absolutely nothing in the real world. The best it will do is be a kudos for self learning.

Kratos

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »

I got a certificate "signed" by the instructor of the udacity course, but it means absolutely nothing in the real world. The best it will do is be a kudos for self learning.

Ahh, I see.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »

https://www.coursera.org/about/terms

Scroll down to "Online courses and certification" about 1/4 the way down.

You acknowledge that the Letter of Completion, and Coursera’s Online Courses, will not stand in the place of a course taken at an accredited institution, and do not convey academic credit. You acknowledge that neither the instructors of any Online Course nor the associated Participating Institutions will be involved in any attempts to get the course recognized by any educational or accredited institution.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:20 pm »

These videos will keep your networking mind sharp: http://www.professormesser.com/n10-005/free-network-plus/

Scroll down a bit to see the sections.

Kratos

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:44:45 am »

https://www.coursera.org/about/terms

Scroll down to "Online courses and certification" about 1/4 the way down.

Thanks! Yea, good for learning for your own benefit.

These videos will keep your networking mind sharp: http://www.professormesser.com/n10-005/free-network-plus/

Scroll down a bit to see the sections.

Thanks. I will look into that as well.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

It's a real shame how much importance is placed on 'academic' studies. I see it as an inherent problem with the world-wide structuring of education.

Certification is only necessary in certain fields. It's very important for medicine or engineering and fields in which incompetency puts lives at risk, but outside of that I feel that honestly it's very easy for someone to just grind to achieve a certification and then forget most of what they learned, as they only endured it for the sake of academic certification, not to necessarily because they are interested or passionate about said field.

But this is all really an incremental problem caused by financial influence. Academic importance is promoted by private academic institutions, which are mostly for profit. That's why you have to pay to 'learn'.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 01:58:32 am »

im doing a creative online course and its really hard- up to assignment 5 at the moment and assignment 8 requires me to research marketing and what books sell and such and this is a short course -_-
Pages: [1]   Go Up