GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:02:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance & New PC  (Read 7790 times)

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zippy has no influence.
Performance & New PC
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »

I'm in school right now, and I didn't get my new PC until around a day ago, so I'm still installing some other stuff. My new specs are:

• AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 3.13GHz
 • 4GB Corsair L4 DDR2 800MHz RAM
 • SLI 2×9800GTX+ 512MB
 • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2
 • Power: 750W
 • Mobo: Asus M3N72-D nForce 750

How good will I run this mod? How much FPS will I get in a full server with weather effects while everyone is firing their guns like blind hitmen while I have max settings with 16xCSAA?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Performance & New PC
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »

That's a bit faster then my PC, and I can run at a smooth 60 FPS with max settings while recording with Fraps. Source is a 5-year-old engine, and any machine made within the last 7 years is able to run it well.

EDIT: Whee post #400
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »

I use to have a 8800GT, and it could run pretty much maxed. And a single 9800GTX is better then a 8800, so I think your set.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:47:41 pm »

Yea i have a 9800GTX+ 1GB Superclock (Pretty much the same as your SLi setup) and pretty much the same spec across the board.

I get hundreds of FPS in all source games. You dont need to worry :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:01:51 am »

Does SLI work well with Source?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:06:19 am »

depends on your resolution. SLI in general isn't that great at low resolutions. But if your running a high resolution, then SLi will have benefits.

And a high resolution is usually 1680x1050 or higher.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:00:37 am »

Also i think Source was much more related to CPU speed then GFX card, at least when it comes to shadders and stuff like this.
Only a new GFX card won't make a huge difference in your overall performance.
E.g. i got a Geforce 260GTX now and had a Radon HD2600XT before.
I cannot make out a real big difference in Source performance, only some shadders are looking somewhat different now, because i also changed from ATI to nVidea.

But since you got a kewl new quad core CPU, i think you'll be set to run everything maxed out.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:47:23 am »

But since you got a kewl new quad core CPU, i think you'll be set to run everything maxed out.
By the looks of it, Source doesn't seem to use ALL cores.  The only two Valve games I know of that uses all cores are Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:08:13 am »

Yeah but since the standard hl2 apps only use one core, that means you can assign a single core to hl2 and redirect every other app to the other 3 and setting hl2.exe to high performance will also make the computer bias to it.

I only have an 8600GT and 2 gig memory and i can run CS:S maxed out. getting 40-60 frames constant

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:26 am »

that means you can assign a single core to hl2 and redirect every other app to the other 3 and setting hl2.exe to high performance will also make the computer bias to it.
Are you talking about the 'Set Priority' feature in the Task Manager?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »

By default, the orange Box engine uses 3 cores or something like that. You can force it to run four or more by going into the game launch properties and adding -threads 4 in the box.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up