GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:29:11 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stack area intact above basement version from 4.2  (Read 12820 times)

SuperFlyMenace

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • SuperFlyMenace has no influence.
Stack area intact above basement version from 4.2
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:58:42 pm »

Messing around the other day, I turned on noclip in Basement from 4.2 and found out that the (nearly) complete stack level was up there, too! It has several props and mostly working doors. Aesthetically, I liked that version of Basement better than the redo on version 5.0 but the version from 5.0 had expanded areas that gave it better flow. I don't know if or who could do it, but it would be awesome to see the 5.0 basement textured like 4.2 and have the completed Stack on top and have a complete and completely badass "new" version of Library to play in. If I knew anything about computer programming, I'd totally do it for myself but I am not that talented. Does this interest anyone else?

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
Re: Stack area intact above basement version from 4.2
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:40 am »

I've only been playing since 5.0 so I'm unfamiliar with this.

Are you referring to the "reimagined" version of Basement, or the classic N64 version? I didn't realize the new version even had a functional upstairs designed at all, that's pretty cool.

SuperFlyMenace

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:37:42 pm »

Version 4.2s reimagined basement has the nearly finished upstairs section whereas version 5.0 does not in its version of Basement

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:08:36 am »

Version 4.2s reimagined basement has the nearly finished upstairs section whereas version 5.0 does not in its version of Basement

Correct. Basement was originally created by Jonathon [SSL], which is the version you see in 4.2. It had an unfinished version of the Stack section that, unfortunately, was never completed but is accessible via noclip through the console.

With the release of 5.0, Basement was heavily overhauled by Luchador, and due to a shift in the visual style of the map, the Stack section was removed. However, we are planning to revisit the non-classic versions of Stack & Library in a future release.
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:17:55 am »

Oh OK - that's awesome!

Classic Library/Stacks is probably my favorite map, and fortunately is very popular when it comes up for votes so I get to play it all the time.

With so many other reimagined maps in the game, however, it would be cool to check out and play on a reimagined Stacks every now and then!

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:54:28 am »

Yes, it's sad I never finished Stack, but luckily Lunchador did a phenomenal job with the Basement rework.

My Basement/Stack were much closer to beta 1.x quality (because I could never wrap my head around making decent props) and didn't feel appropriate to be shipping alongside the hyper-slick other maps Luchador was working on.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

CptLima

• Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:32 pm »

My favorite thing about the 5.0 Basement is how closely it mirrors the classic version in terms of layout and what the "purpose" of each room is imagined to be, compared to the blank classic one.

At first when I started playing 5.0 I kept getting lost, but then it hit me that the layout was the same as the classic one, which helped a lot.

Love the details like the closed grates leading up to where Stacks would be, the safe that opens, shattering glass panels around door frames, etc., too.

SuperFlyMenace

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:43:33 am »

Yes, it's sad I never finished Stack, but luckily Lunchador did a phenomenal job with the Basement rework.

My Basement/Stack were much closer to beta 1.x quality (because I could never wrap my head around making decent props) and didn't feel appropriate to be shipping alongside the hyper-slick other maps Luchador was working on.
I gotta tell you, Jonathon [SSL], I do like Luchadors version of Basement in the way certain areas are expanded but I still prefer the visual aesthetics of yours. Perfection would be an amalgamation of both versions, stack included of course!

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »

It was rough. These are the tough choices of level design.  I have favorite parts of both.

We actually had a third version..  I like where the 3rd was going, it made it actually feel like a library.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee
Pages: [1]   Go Up