GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:01:23 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A better looking main menu  (Read 7205 times)

Kaiser Tarkin

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kaiser Tarkin has no influence.
A better looking main menu
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:46:33 am »

I made this for your Main Menu , So you guys decide which one looks good .After u made your pick ill be adding a couple backgrounds to it. I , In my opinion the 3rd one looks good at the bottom.Im trying to give your main menu some style .
http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae221/Kaiser_Tarkin/?action=view&current=GoldenEyeMod.jpg

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: A better looking main menu
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:02:53 am »

Unfortunately we aren't in a position to take fan submissions.  Everything goes through a design and iteration process that has the whole team provides input on.  Members must also go through a trial process so they can demonstrate their skills and show that they can work as part of a team before any work is accepted. 

To be honest, we aren't really in any need of 2d design help at this point.  We've done a lot of work on our ingame menus, but unfortunately we can't change the main menu at this point due to technical considerations (i.e. it will take a lot of coding work to make it happen).  This will change in the future, but for now the main menu is a lesser priority.  We got a lot of plans for the main menu, but we won't be enable to implement them right now.

If you'd like to make some cool desktop backgrounds for people to use, I'm sure that would be appreciated. 

Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:09 am »

Cant people edit their own VTF's? Or will steam just auto-update to replace them?

I want to replace some of the game themes with some of Goldenzen's. The regular ones get a bit old after a while  :-X
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:30:19 am »

You can replace/change alot of files/textures.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »

The background can be replaced by changing the files located in "Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\gesource\materials\console".
There's a Background01.vmt, a text file which can be edited using a text-editor.

If you wanna use your own Background texture, make it a size like 1024x1024 pixel and save it as .vtf file (photoshop-plugin, VTFedit, compiling with vtex). name it something like background02.vtf and place it in the same folder.
Now change the texturepath
"$basetexture" "console/background01" into    
"$basetexture" "console/background02"
save the file and your new background should be there when you load the game.

Don't change any other parameters of the .vmt file, this could cause unwanted effects.

Kaiser Tarkin

• Agent
  • Kaiser Tarkin has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:33:21 am »

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:46:26 am »

Its not bad, i like the overall style and theme to it, but the aliasing where the black and white meets is a little amateurish and unnerving. Fix those.
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 01:07:18 pm »

Too distracting for a main menu.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that at some point, the devs plan to use the original manilla-folder style for the menus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up