GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:01:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_osiris  (Read 6842 times)

dreamaurua

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • dreamaurua barely matters.dreamaurua barely matters.
ge_osiris
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:52:12 am »

Here is another map, I put this together this afternoon & it's ready for action!
I really enjoy the Egypt textures, they are fantastic!!

- Deathmatch or Arsenal only
( over 32 player spawns )

Download ge_osiris_a2:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gr8w16efxt41rjq/ge_osiris_a2.rar

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:40:22 am by dreamaurua »

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: ge_osiris
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:28:51 am »

sweet

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »

A good start. Still there's room for improvement and i guess you intend to improve since it's labled alpha.

I've attached a screenshot of the map with mat_leafvis 3 active.
As you can see, there are still a lot more visleafs then neccessary.

You should turn all the arches and small shapes into func_detail to avoid this.

Also i'd recomend you to either downsize or replace some of the textures that look blurry.
Make sure to use scales like 0.5, 0.25 or 0.125 for them to get sharp results.

Since the mapping is rather basic, you need to have sharp textures and good lighting to make the map awesome.

Speaking of lighting, i recomend you to increase lightmap resolution for sharper shadows and make a better use of lighting inside the "towers".

Give each of them a unique light color or something else to make them distinctable.

Think of fire, water, light and life.
In other words make one of them with blue trims, water maybe even a waterfall into that pit and blue light, the second one red trim with red light and fire in the pit, the third one with green trim and plants inside (maybe remove the roof, or part of it and have some water floating over from the water temple) and the forth one beeing dedicated to light could have a small opening in the roof too and a ray of light hitting a big crystal in the room which illuminates the whole room.

Last but not least, i don't see a reason to restrict the map to DM and Arsenal.
Just place all the teamspawns in oposite towers, place gameplay tokens in the other towers and it should work.

MWGG is also possible, maybe restrict GG spawning to the weapon spawn in the center.
LtK is always possible, CtF and LD should be too.

dreamaurua

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »

Thanks for the lengthy reply, I do appreciate having not only optimization feedback as well as creative inspiration.
I operate on a very crappy computer, so a lot of this detail work is hard for me to see. I can run source games on high for like 5 minutes before she starts to overheat. it is still doable and i will try my best to work out the issues.

- I always test and run my maps as beta  _b1 , _b2 as i change and edit them.
aplha: _a1, or _a2 are only the playable updated versions intended for game play.
so people aren't always downloading new versions of it all the time if im keeping up to date.

- I may have missed one of the arches as a func_detail, but most of the pillars and towers should be detail entities but i can try to clean it up a bit as i progress.  as much as i have tried over the years, i still have yet to grasp using visleafs ( hints & skip ) to my advantage.

- I can try to bring the scale down on the textures, but I always feel they repeat so often when using .5 they fill out nicely. I can see about maybe adding more brushwork to fill out the areas so i can scale that down without it looking repetitive.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that! I'll try to iron out the issues

Edit: here are some shots of the new func_detail work

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:20:53 am by dreamaurua »

dreamaurua

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:26:30 am »

Whats new:
- all four towers have been edited and changed to reflect an element
- there are 4 crystals in each room, earth - fire - water - wind these can be used for cover to hide from bullets
- there is also a rotating block each from the movie fifth element
- one "fifth" element  the light crystal in the center.
- I added a ambient_generic with suitable looping sound for each tower

To do:
-Lightmaps, and better shadows.
-Adding blue / red spawns, and getting teamplay to work
-Bots ( this will come last )

here are the new photos:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:33:03 am by dreamaurua »

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:30 am »

What a difference! I like what you did with those interior themes.

What color are you currently using for your environment lighting? It seems to have an extreme yellow hue to it similar to our old version of Egyptian. When I redid the lighting on Egyptian I found using more subtle values helped give it a more natural color while still maintaining the sort of bright and dry desert feel.

These are the current color and brightness values used in Egyptian's lighting that might give you an idea. I might suggest playing around with them if you find it doesn't look quite right, but as a sort of ballpark area to start with.

Brightness: 252 242 209 450
Ambient: 179 204 217 100

Note the last number on each value (450 and 100) are the actual brightness values for the light and ambient light, respectively. You may want to keep your existing brightness and just stick to modifying the first 3 RGB values.

Coming along nicely though, great work so far!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:06:58 am by Torn »
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort
Pages: [1]   Go Up