GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 07:58:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Man with the Golden Gun (game mode suggestion)  (Read 6718 times)

-ReSiStAnCe-

The Man with the Golden Gun (game mode suggestion)
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:19:39 pm »

i was curious if you plan on implementing something like "The Man with the Golden Gun" mode in GE:S?

"A single Golden Gun is placed in a random location on the map. Players must find and pick up the Golden Gun, which is able to kill opponents with only one shot regardless of where they are hit, even if they are wearing body armour. After a player acquires the gun, the others are able to see him or her on their radar. The player with the golden gun is unable to pick up body armour and the golden gun does not respawn, so others can only pick it up by eliminating the player who has it."

the above mode from the N64 version is basically an FFA golden gun mode, but i'd like to see some team based variations as well.

one possible variation could be to dynamically change the teams according to whoever has the golden gun (golden pp7) - whoever has it is placed on their own team, and everyone else is teamed against them. if you kill the guy with the golden gun, he automatically gets switched onto the big team; and once somebody else picks the golden gun up off the ground, they immediately become hostile and are switched off the team and onto their own. it could potentially be a lot of fun... i can imagine having killed the golden gun-user, and 3 or 4 guys are nervously standing around the golden gun laying on the ground, waiting in a standoff to see who will try to pick it up first, and have everyone's guns immediately aimed at them. :D

another more simple variation would be to just have pre-set teams; one player alone vs everyone else in the server. the one person always spawns with the Golden PP7, and the rest of the players can use all the other weapons, but cannot pick up the golden gun if they kill him.

you could even have all or several of them - Man With the Golden Gun FFA, Man With the Golden Gun TDM, etc.

for all i know, you could have already thought about or began work on something like this, but i just thought i'd throw it out there because i think it would be fun :)

keep up the great work on the mod!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:37:29 pm by -ReSiStAnCe- »

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
Re: The Man with the Golden Gun (game mode suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:49:57 pm »

The man with the goldengun is already in ges. It can be mixed with any gametype too just enable the goldengun command in the console.

Check the wiki

Gametypes and Variables
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:51:39 pm by Ryan [Saiz] »
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

-ReSiStAnCe-

Re: The Man with the Golden Gun (game mode suggestion)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:34:33 pm »

i wasn't able to find any reference to a specific game mode built around the golden gun - the nearest thing i saw on the wiki was the command that enables players to spawn with the golden gun (ge_goldengun 1).

i suppose one could enable the golden gun on the server and enable teamplay as well, but the result wouldn't be anything like what i'd hope to see added into the game. enabling goldengun + teamplay would just be a team deathmatch game where some people randomly have golden guns at various times; it would lack the structure of a gametype specifically built around the golden gun.

there is actually a reference in the Golden Gun article on the GES wiki, which describes it as this:

"The gun was most commonly seen in The Man with the Golden Gun gametypes. A modern equivalent to this gametype would be a Halo-style Juggernaut match with a single player having a large advantage over the other players."

that's pretty much what i'd like to see: halo juggernaut style, using the golden gun - except the other (non-juggernaut) players would be on a team to prevent them from killing each other. another possible change (as suggested earlier) would be that instead of a player becoming the juggernaut/man with the golden gun by making the kill on the current juggernaut, they have to actually pick up the golden gun off the ground. this would have its own advantages and disadvantages.

an advantage being that you can choose more precisely and strategically when to become the "man with the golden gun". you generally want to kill him right away (so he doesn't kill you, and get more points), but you might not want to actually become "man with the golden gun" right away. for example, if you have zero health after making the kill, or if you have multiple people standing right behind you, you'd get it and die right away, wasting it for nothing. being able to pick the gun up off the ground would allow you to choose the moment you become hostile. the disadvantage would be that you could get a hard-earned kill on the current man with the golden gun, but then someone else could run by and steal it off the ground without any effort. maybe you could lock the golden gun for whoever made the kill for like the first 30 seconds, then it becomes free for anyone to grab, heh. now i'm getting way ahead of myself!

anyways, thanks for reading, and keep up the great work :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:38:44 pm by -ReSiStAnCe- »
Pages: [1]   Go Up