GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:48:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: *1138 SERVER DIRECT MAPS DOWNLOAD LINK*  (Read 19716 times)

Multiplayer_X_

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.
*1138 SERVER DIRECT MAPS DOWNLOAD LINK*
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:11:46 am »

Several people have expressed frustration with map sizes downloading really slow through their ISP. We can't fix your ISP provider but maybe a direct link to the files can help. Just click and download then drop into your gesource/maps folder!

MultiplayerX

http://multiplayerx.site.nfoservers.com/gesource/maps/

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: *1138 SERVER DIRECT MAPS DOWNLOAD LINK*
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:05:32 am »

I'm going to sound like a cunt, but so be it. Forget my name is in green for a second, as I do not speak on behalf of the beta testing team but on my own personal behalf and no one pushed me to write this post but myself. No one but me is involved in this post. I do not represent the team.

The problem is not our ISP's, the problem is the fact that all your maps are well over 100 megabytes large.
That is exceedingly large for Source maps. Most huge Garry's Mod RP maps are about 120 Megabytes, and they are all laggy for a reason.
Your Duke Nukem map and music that comes along with it is over 800 Megabytes, despite the fact that this map is smaller than Basement classic in scale, and has textures that are 32 pixels by 32 in size

800 Megabytes is 100 more Megabytes than the entirety of the 2000 video game Deus Ex. It is twice the size of Half-Life 1. It is the same size as a Playstation 1 RPG disc. It is absolutely unreasonable.

My ISP is perfectly fine, I download at a speed of 12 Megabytes per second. The problem does not lie within our ISPs, it lies within your absolutely ridiculous overuse of assets that shouldn't be there in the first place, boosting the filesize of your maps to insane proportions that are extremely hard to handle by the Source engine, not to mention that most of, if not all of those maps are all unfit or unoptimized for multiplayer play. Logging into your server when large maps are on literally crashes the game.

I sincerely hope this post opens your eyes. (It probably won't, since you've got over 5000 hours in Source SDK and you do not seem to have any intentions of getting better at using the software in a fashion that makes sense.)

You can hate me all you want, bash me to all your friends, send backlash my way, it doesn't matter.
Just leave the team out of this, they had nothing to do with it. I made this post alone
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:22:07 am by namajnaG »

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 05:53:02 am »

Yes, I'd have to agree with namajnaG on this.  You can bash me too.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:23:14 pm »

I have to agree that those map file sizes seem extremely excessive. An 800 MB map file probably doesn't just crash the game... it crashes some computers. Can they be significantly trimmed to more acceptable standards without compromising the core of what the map is intended to represent?

Looking at my maps folder I have 10 maps that have been downloaded over the last year that are in the 100 to 240 MB range, and frankly I'm not a fan of any of them. Larger file sizes don't correlate to a fun map.

I mostly play stock maps with a few of the better Perfect Dark / custom maps (like the Mario ones) mixed in, so I don't really have a dog in the fight - custom maps aren't generally my thing, and if the game was all pure stock maps, I think I'd be fine with it. But I do play on servers that sometimes vote to play a series of custom maps, which is why I have them in my Source folder at all, and I certainly would not want to be downloading and storing files of an 800-MB size just for GoldenEye: Source. That's a noticeable percentage of my SSD.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 11:36:11 am »

What's with an 1138 server? Has the clan survived in a different form?
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

namajnaG

• namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 01:28:57 pm »

What's with an 1138 server? Has the clan survived in a different form?
No, 1138 is still long gone from the Beta 4 days. MultiplayerX's server just bares the name 1138 because Don told him it was okay or something in those lines.

Helios

• WNxSpectra
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 12:52:03 pm »

I also agree with NamajnaG. The file sizes just seem to get bigger and bigger and it doesn't really make the maps any more fun to play. Ideally, file sizes should be under 100MB.

Multiplayer_X_

• Agent
  • Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.Multiplayer_X_ is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:28 pm »

The biggest issue with CUSTOM MAPS is CONTENT. Everyone should know this.  ;)   It all sounds wonderful but when it comes to a map missing assets what you are suggesting is simply NOT POSSIBLE. Maps get packed with what they need and that is where the large map size comes from. Even if i put the files in separate resource files on the server it would STILL take a little while to download. ;)

No offense taken though. Most everyone I know that has at least 100MB per second internet generally only has to wait a minute or two. The server has FAST DOWNLOADER so if it's taking that long for you it's most likely your ISP or internet speed.  Multi

namajnaG

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 01:59:42 am »

All of my maps have no stock assets, except usually one or two light props and two or three textures on average (basic shit like concrete floors or ceilings). They are all under 100 megabytes, and usually half the filesize on those maps is taken by ridiculous easter eggs I put in.
Codex, without the easter eggs and 100% custom assets except two props, is 22MB.
Grid, which is arguably one of the best custom maps we've ever had, has 100% custom assets as well, and is under 100MB.
Duclare Chateau is 65MB.

There is truly no excuse to have 800MB for a DN3D map. Stop.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:01:48 am by namajnaG »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 03:19:23 am »

Dude, no... Please, just take a few minutes/hours and learn how things are done. There is no excuse for the ridiculous file sizes. Just learn how to properly utilize assets and optimize maps. A little effort goes a long way in that respect.

Let's take your Duke 3D map for instance. The BSP alone is 320MB (I'm using base-10 here because that's what my file manager uses). Even BZ2-compressing it would give you a big improvement for free (you literally don't have to do anything else). That would cut the download size from 320MB down to 60MB instantly. But nonetheless, let's compare this file size to some other items.

Chateau DuClare, which is a fairly large map incorporating custom sounds, textures and models, is 66MB uncompressed. Your retro-themed, low-res map is almost 5x bigger than a modern map. Better yet, your one BSP alone is 25x bigger than the game it came from!

Now let's take a look at the files inside your BSP... You have several lengthy WAV files that may have been better-suited for other formats, or maybe even their quality cut down without audible loss, especially since the offending WAVs (the arcades ones) are a small detail and are barely audible. They account for a relatively small, but still considerable, amount of the BSP. Your sounds folder (again, only what's in the BSP, not including music) is 38MB.

/models is 6MB, not bad, but still, you included editor assets and the GE:S ammo crate, a rookie mistake that only happens if you "select all" in Pakrat.

/materials is where things get interesting. This folder is 270MB. You included tool textures here, again a rookie mistake, but that doesn't even register on the file size. The worst offenders are 4K textures for what are small surfaces in the map -- again, the arcade machines. Not only that, you have a few super-high-res, detailed textures, in a dimly lit area of the map where they go unnoticed. Not only that, but they're mixed in with super low-res arcade machines. If you kept it consistent with the retro aesthetic of the map, or even stayed conscious of how these assets are used and chose/adjusted them properly, you could have shrunk the size tremendously. The Pac-Man arcade has 2 textures of 22MB, one of which is solid black.

You also have multiple lengthy animated textures, that range from 20 to 72 MB. PER. TEXTURE. You could have gone with simpler, shorter animations or done away with it entirely, inflating your map size so much is not worth it for an easter egg.

And keep in mind, all these textures have to be loaded into memory. The engine has a memory budget, and abusing it like this is why some of your maps crash so often.

Not only that, but your map has TWELVE music tracks! And ALL OF THEM ARE UNCOMPRESSED WAVS! 20 - 70M EACH and add a combined 550 MEGABYTES to the map!

And that's before we even get into map optimization techniques. Properly sealing leaks, using nodraw on hidden surfaces, among other things, will help tremendously on file size, compile time and in-game performance, which has long been a problem on your maps. But it won't help with size as much as say, not using uncompressed WAVs at every opportunity.

If you learned how to properly optimize your maps, you would find everyone would download much faster, the performance would be better, and your problems would go away.

Like, sorry dude, but we've tried over and over again to try to help you course-correct but you just won't take the hint. Get better instead of deflecting criticism. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:27:03 am by soupcan »

Helios

• WNxSpectra
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:30:07 am »

The biggest issue with CUSTOM MAPS is CONTENT. Everyone should know this.  ;)   It all sounds wonderful but when it comes to a map missing assets what you are suggesting is simply NOT POSSIBLE. Maps get packed with what they need and that is where the large map size comes from. Even if i put the files in separate resource files on the server it would STILL take a little while to download. ;)

No offense taken though. Most everyone I know that has at least 100MB per second internet generally only has to wait a minute or two. The server has FAST DOWNLOADER so if it's taking that long for you it's most likely your ISP or internet speed.  Multi

Dude, you're using 4k textures and uncompressed wav files when that literally isn't necessary at all.

Multiplayer_X_

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 07:08:58 am »

Okay so I checked the server. The largest map on it is CSGO ZOO and it is 360 MB. The lag you experience on some maps is not the SIZE. If I run out of time it may be released UNOPTIMIZED or I just forgot to adjust a few things to jump performance.

MAP TESTERS : NO offense but....that's all you are and I don't see many other people in the mod making any custom content so if you don't like it.....  BE MY GUEST.  Learn Hammer, rip the VMF, and fix it the way you like it   ;)    I don't protect any of the content so BSP SOURCE should decompile a pretty flawless copy for you to adjust to your liking    8)

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 02:53:27 pm »

Sigh...

Multiplayer_X_

• Agent
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 08:25:15 pm »

Sigh...

It's how I feel Soup  lol   Truthfully   

ARE WE ALL ADULTS OR JUST SOME OF US?  ;)

namajnaG

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 11:53:41 pm »

MAP TESTERS : NO offense but....that's all you are and I don't see many other people in the mod making any custom content

I made this from scratch in an empty grid in the span of five days back in March.

Any other comment, you fucking nutjob? Keep deflecting criticism from people who fucking use level editing software right, and keep being twice my age but acting half my age.

Sick of your shit.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up