GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:23:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.0, after a couple years away from GE:S.  (Read 6367 times)

detectDefective

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • detectDefective barely matters.detectDefective barely matters.
5.0, after a couple years away from GE:S.
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:45 am »

It's been a long while since I've played GE:S. A few months back, I saw the new mine models by Luchador, and read a bit about an upcoming version, but completely forgot about it.

When the 5.0 trailer came out, I watched it and got the pre-load as soon as the trailer ended. The release day came, I booted it up, and it's pretty much the only thing I've played for the past week.

Was a bit of a rough start, but after remembering to cycle armor spawns, I've been doing consistently well and having a lot of fun. To go over what I've liked:

The invulnerability re-work.
The damage capping is fantastic. Automatics, even guns in general, have never felt better. It actually feels worthwhile to switch up weapons rather than constantly roll with a handgun, and I know there's some dislike for the re-work, but it feels like a great compromise between getting mowed down instantly like Perfect Dark, or taking forever to die outside of semi-auto headshots like GoldenEye.

The new maps.
Specifically, Dam. The layout works incredibly well and the sewers/interiors not only prevent it from being an annoying point-to-point but they're also fun to fight in. The other new maps are great (even Caverns, which I never liked playing in the original GE), but Dam is the standout for me.

Strafe-running.
With the invulnerability changing up, even if it's a change I really like, it's still a massive change. Having an old feature/ability like strafe-running coming with it feels like a nice balance to the scales. Still trying to get used to changing angles while keeping my speed going, but it's great.

General weapon re-balancing.
Proximity mines being passable with walking/crouching is fantastic for traps, or avoiding them without alerting the map. The Silver and Gold PP7 requiring specific ammunition (magnum bullets and golden bullets, respectively) is also nice, since it makes the ammo scarce and caps it to something much, much smaller than 800 rounds.

The soundtrack.
Because Short on Time and Laser Watch are stuck in my damn head.

Even with all the fun, I've got a few issues with GE:S.

Client-mistaken blood.
Something that drove me insane in games like Garry's Mod popping up here. Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as it was back in the older releases, or even GMod, but it still tends to frustrate me from time to time. I've been using the hit sounds as notifications, and I know when it's a fake hit (no sound) and when it's the damage cap (the whizzing). It's a common complaint I hear while playing, but at least it's better than it was before.

Missing the death animations.
As great as I used to find ragdolls, I've gotten tired of them. I miss the old death animations where people would spin around, fly backward, or even just drop to their knees. It's a lot of effort and work for coding and animating, though, especially since the default Source engine action is to just go into ragdoll.

Lack of milestone achievements for other weapons.
It's fun going for the milestone weapon achievements, but with how often I've used it and how effective it is, I'm kind of sad that the ZMG doesn't have a milestone set associated with it. Neither do the Cougar Magnum or the D5K, if I'm remembering right, but at least the Magnum has various achievements associated with it.

But there's one thing that's bothered me since I started playing. Noticed it right in my first match.

No Siberian Special Forces.
The greatest character of GoldenEye, nowhere to be found. Disgraceful.
Nah, I'm fucking around. I do wish Natalya and Xenia were in, though.

Jokes aside, and my negatives aside; it's an awesome release. Thanks much for all the work you folks have put in, and for a great mix of classic and modern gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:57:23 pm by detectDefective »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: 5.0, after a couple years away from GE:S.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:09:27 am »

+1 for ZMG achievement

The cougar Magnum has an achievement linked with mayday if I'm not mistaken.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:14:35 am »

I don't think it's possible to fix the client blood, it happens on every Source game even CS:GO.
Death animations are there, but they're placeholders and have to get coded in. Maybe if we get a character animator.
The Cougar Magnum has various achievements, I don't remember the names but - Kill 2 opponents with one bullet, kill 6 players without reloading (all headshots), 50 headshots as May Day with the CMag and... Pretty sure there's more but I forgot.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 03:42:33 pm »

i still wish the tazer was included or tank or what if players had a minimature tank model
would be amazing that fires like a tank shell and yeah idk

okay wishful thinking i know

detectDefective

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:52:23 pm »

+1 for ZMG achievement

The cougar Magnum has an achievement linked with mayday if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sorry, I thought I'd written "milestone achievements" instead of just "achievement", my bad. Was thinking about sets like "From Russia Without Love" and "A Salt Rifle". I know that the Cougar Magnum has multiple achievements associated with it, including Make My Mayday and Cycle of Death.

And Russian Roulette, but to hell with that one, I'm saving it for LTK. Corrected that part of the post, thanks for letting me know.

I don't think it's possible to fix the client blood, it happens on every Source game even CS:GO.
Death animations are there, but they're placeholders and have to get coded in. Maybe if we get a character animator.

It's beyond difficult. A coder I know who worked on TTT had to make blood server-sided, and I still hear a complaint once in a blue moon about blood appearing without dealing damage.

As for the animations, I'm glad that they've at least been worked on.

i still wish the tazer was included or tank or what if players had a minimature tank model
would be amazing that fires like a tank shell and yeah idk

okay wishful thinking i know
Nah, no tank models. People would need to spit flak shells like Bond could. :P

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:44 pm »

Getting Russian Roulette with all headshots is really rewarding though. :P

Any idea what he did to make blood server-sided? Why isn't this done on other games like CS:GO?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:20:19 pm »

The issue with server side blood is the increase of traffic it creates and also every hit confirmation takes it's time from server to client due to latency.

With sound the delay is less noticable then with visual stuff, that's why we rather use a confirmation sound then rely on splatter FX.

detectDefective

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:47:42 pm »

Getting Russian Roulette with all headshots is really rewarding though. :P

Any idea what he did to make blood server-sided? Why isn't this done on other games like CS:GO?
You're talking to somebody who only ever runs into armored bastards, though. And that's not even factoring my bad aim outside of automatics at point blank.

As for what he did, honestly, I'm not certain. The most I ever delved into LUA coding for TTT was weapon modification since some weapons were blatantly overpowered (hi MAC10) while others were too weak (hi Glock). Looking at his work gave me a headache but that's the majority of code in a nutshell for me.

Before he did this, we relied on a hitmarker add-on to know if we'd actually landed a hit or not. This is why I try to ignore the blood and focus on the sounds before I stop shooting.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:31:43 pm »

Good points above; +1 on the Siberian Special Forces. Would love to see another dozen or so characters in a future release; gets weird when there are 3 Jaws or 2 Bonds in the room with you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up