GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:38:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_basement_ssl  (Read 25344 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
ge_basement_ssl
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:47:38 pm »

I began working on this map in late July/early August in hopes of properly re-creating my favorite GE64 multiplayer map, Basement. A release was made on December 26 2008, but that old version of the map is nowhere near where I wanted it to be. I had just been working on it for so many months I had the illusion it was done.

So since the Beta 3 release I've been leisurely working on this map in my extra spare time (I've been working on learning to model properly in my other spare time), doing what I love best about mapping, adding little details and constructing areas which don't tell just what an area is, but what it's for, how it's been used, why it looks how it looks(how its aged), all that fun stuff.

Along with detailing, I've been working on completely revamping all the lights in the map. Originally, the map was full of blobs of white light shining at a 90 degree angle along all the walls. Now, I've been attempting to give each room its own lighting style, such as fluorescents, incandescents, and strategically using vrad to bounce light to where I want it.

As you can see in the screenshots, I've made the 6-pillar room into an employee lounge/cafeteria area, in which you can also see the new way in whch I'm doing the wall lighting:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7138/gemilitarylibrary0011.jpg

And I've been trying the make the 16-pillar room more interesting with texture variety and improved lighting without changing the gameplay:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6273/gemilitarylibrary0012.jpg

Personally, I think that the spawn text in Runway looks awesome, so I added some to Basement. The difference though is that the text is tied to a trigger_once, so unlike Runway, the text will only show up the first time you spawn and then never shows up the rest of the match. (Apparently people don't like it showing up multiple times on Runway.)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5/gemilitarylibrary0013.jpg

Let me know what you think, and I'd love for people to give criticisms/comments on what they think of the map so far.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:21:09 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: ge_basement_ssl
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:53:30 pm »

It's looking good mate. One thing: you misspelled the word basement on the thread's title.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:57:16 pm by The SSL »

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »

dude, that looks awesome ! I had no idea that someoneĀ“s working on this map again. very nice
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »

Yea man looks good, I doubt this will be included into the official map list. We will see.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »

Yea man looks good, I doubt this will be included into the official map list. We will see.

I never really said I intended for it to be (although that would be amazing), I just wanted to remake my favorite GE64 map for my friends and I to play on.

meh.

It'll be a long time until it's "finished" again, I'm still adding and taking out tons of stuff. Then I gotta finish Stack which is only 1/4 done atm (but I'll probably release Basement only when its "done" again). Then I'm planning to try Jungle (Once again for fun), I've been thinking about its look and layout ever since I was looking through the tons of new props in beta 3 and noticed there's a bunch of awesome looking foliage stuff now (trees, plants, etc.). But I still have to get my trail done(curse you Ambient Occlusion), trying to work on that usually comes first when I get all my RL work finished.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:54:21 am by The SSL »

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

Very cool.  I enjoy seeing other's WIP maps, as I am currently attempting to learn the ropes of basic map making as well.  It's good to see other styles and ideas.  It gives me something to shoot for :)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:10:25 am »

OH I LOVE YOU SSL. :) THANK YOU FOR NOT PUTTING THE BASEMENT TEXT EVERY TIME YOU SPAWN. :) I really get kind of annoyed seeing the runway text spawn EVERY TIME. No offense sharp, just don't like it.

Looks good man. Can't wait to see how it is when it gets closer to being finished. :) Keep up the good work.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:25 pm »

I like the 6-pillar room. Could use different textures/light color/etc for the 16-pillar room though.

OH I LOVE YOU SSL. :) THANK YOU FOR NOT PUTTING THE BASEMENT TEXT EVERY TIME YOU SPAWN. :) I really get kind of annoyed seeing the runway text spawn EVERY TIME. No offense sharp, just don't like it.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:14:53 pm »

It hurts me to read your posts cus stuff like that makes me want to RAWR your face.. You are still hurt over the text thats easily ignorable... -.- Makes me want to ragequit.. It's not that fuckin... RAWR IGNORE IT.
/rage

ON TOPIC: looks nice and clean, I love seeing new WiP's cus thats just showing that we're going to get more and more for the future :D

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:19:11 am »

Redid the sewer room, but I'm slightly unsure of what to do for the lighting. How does everyone feel about how this looks? There's only 4 lights in this room; 2 low-power fluorescents, 1 caged light below the water in the sewer, and the majority of the light comes from the room above. I thought it looked kind of neat because it's a break from the repetitive wall lighting in the hallways surrounding the room, and shadows going upwards (present on the wall monitors) as well as the railing shadows on the wall isn't something that you see in every map.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:13:00 pm by The SSL »

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:25:33 am »

badass man. i love it.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:53 am »

One question: the grate with the water below it, does it lead naywhere? Could that be the sewers? If so, than that is a great idea for a reinvention of the map.

I can't wait to see that map released. And make sure you give us a third-party Jungle too!

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »

the lighting in the newest pictures should be orange...

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:52:47 pm »

Very cool! It almost gives it a evil laboratory look. I like it :D

TwiggyTwink

• Secret Agent
  • TwiggyTwink has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »

Yes, this looks fantastic. I love how you actually made the basement have a meaning/purpose to the whole Library.

I'll look forward to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up