GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:25:33 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer Application  (Read 12077 times)

Arrow01

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Arrow01 has no influence.
Level Designer Application
« on: July 07, 2019, 02:59:11 pm »

Hello, I am Arrow01, applying for the Level Designer position. I love the current levels, and I think I would be able to produce levels at the quality of the current game. I excel with indoor environments, and have been mapping on and off for about 2 years now. Here is some examples of my work from an unfinished Portal mod I have created.  I would like to join the team to improve my skills and receive constructive criticism for my work. I have enjoyed the game, and think that the indoor-type maps of goldeneye would fit my skillset very well. I have also worked on Portal 2, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Garry's Mod. I would like to work mostly on indoor level concepts, but I can also do outdoor levels if the need arises. Thank you, and have a nice day.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:03:25 pm by Arrow01 »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: Level Designer Application
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:34:51 pm »

Hi Arrow!  Thanks for taking the time to apply for the team, it's awesome that people are still interested in helping us out even today.

We've discussed your application internally, but unfortunately feel you wouldn't be the best fit for the team at this time.  Most of the levels left to be completed for GE:S are actually outdoor or mixed environment maps, such as surface and statue park, so your existing experience with indoor work does not cover the full gamut of what we're looking for.

In addition, the work you've put forth shows a level of familiarity with the tools, but as all of the areas shown in the screenshots just use the basic portal aesthetic there's nothing that really shows off your ability to innovate or design interesting but cohesive environments.  That isn't to say you don't have this ability, just that we feel it has not been demonstrated.

If you're still interested in making content for GE:S, I would say that it's not a bad idea to come up with some interesting ideas for community maps and make a few of those.  This would give you a chance to build up your skills and also give you some much stronger portfolio pieces if you decide to apply for the team again.  I would say some immediate goals to work towards would be to learn how to make your own textures, and to design some unique but interesting level aesthetics from scratch.

Thanks again for your interest in the team and I hope to see another application in the future!
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian
Pages: [1]   Go Up