GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 07:12:54 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to upgrade my PC? Need help deciding what to buy, etc  (Read 15442 times)

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • FlyBMXer4130 has no influence.
    • My Face
Re: Time to upgrade my PC? Need help deciding what to buy, etc
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 05:45:51 pm »

.... Means $600 or so down the drain.

On what?  All you "need" to buy for now is a video card, and since you're going to rebuild soon anyway, you wouldn't need to spend more than $100-150 to get something that can play just about anything...

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:16:28 pm »

because buying a video card now means he can't put it in a new PC, ergo it's a waste of money - though where $600 came from :S
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
    • My Face
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 10:49:54 pm »

Yeah I know, I didn't imply he could use a current vid card in a machine built in the near future, I was just wondering where $600 came from myself.

olileauk

• 00 Agent
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 10:51:18 pm »

oh, sorry. :-[

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18:54 pm »

Well I'm a high budget computer builder so low budget computers aren't my 100% specialties, but I guess I'll ring in my 2cents.

I say just keep your current configuration and just save up all your money for a new pc. I say that because I don't know your PSU(power supply) so a new GPU(gfx card) could overpower the PSU, so then you'd have to buy a PSU, theres 2 purchases already.
    Then if you did buy those 2, then you could get away with 1gb of ram, but playing Bioshock or any newer game is really gonna tax your ram loosing quiet a bit of performance. Then also your CPU is gonna start bottlenecking your GPU.

I've built 3 Quad-core DX10 computers in the last 2 months that were on a budget, and they were only ranging from $1300-1600.
and those have had thing you might not need, like DVD drives and HDD's(hard drives). So my recommendation would be to save up your cash, and $1,000 will get you a Quad core DX10 PC fully ready to play any game out on high GFX and future games as well (cough....Crysis...cough)

P.S. you can run the Bioshock Demo on SM2, but its has Extremely long loadtimes and textures are little weird, and this is all with couple file tweaks.......but it's really not worth the time, but it is possible.

And make your friends jealous, even with simple benchmarks ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:27:21 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:55 am »

Heh, those numbers don't mean anything to the 95% of us using XP. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

DaDude

• Secret Agent
  • DaDude has no influence.
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 05:38:42 am »

Confused. But yeah, lol. My PSU is... lemme check... can't find it... I'll have to look in the PC.

Also, yeah, I have tried that out. But it takes longer than 5 mins to load. Plus, EVERY texture is just a simple colour, like "red, blue"... it was hilarious, when I was introduced to Rapture City, it looked like Lego Land! XD

But yeah, I'll bite the bullet and wait.

On a side note, I have PCI Standard and AGP ports... I think. Not 100% sure... It says PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge. As for AGP, there's one that says SIS Processor to AGP Controller under System Devices in Device Manager.

Meh. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is out tomorrow, that'll do. XD

Edit: Why is my name DaDude again? *Sigh* Can someone change it back to Nova? Thanks whoever does. (please change the Display Name at least). And no, it won't let me change it myself. :/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:40:47 am by DaDude »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:15 pm »

I like Nova's, I own one  :)

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
    • My Face
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:24 pm »

Heh, those numbers don't mean anything to the 95% of us using XP. 

Quite true, but hey, I'm happy have my avatar in Mr. High-Budget PC Builder's screenshot =)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 04:15:32 pm »

I bought a new Graphic-Card and more RAM a few Days ago. (and on the next Day a new power pack)
Tested it with Bioshock on Maximum Settings and got it on a nearly Playable Level.
With Settings on Medium it will work fine.

I got a AMD Athlon XP 2400 (2 GHz)
1792 MB DDR-RAM @ 333 MHz
and a HIS Radeon X1650Pro IceQ

At first i got a little Problem with the Card, but after I got the right Driver for it it works fine with the Games I tested so far.
Now I know ATI-Support sucks, better to choose a Driver without Catalysm-Control-Center and don't get a Driver with a internal Version-Number ending on "0" like 8.40  >:(.

If you got Graphic-Problems with Bioshock, you should try the new Bioshock-hotfix first.

--> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/ati_8.401.1_bioshock_hotfix_xp.exe

and don't forget to delete the old driver at first.

olileauk

• 00 Agent
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 06:16:22 pm »

Well I'm a high budget computer builder so low budget computers aren't my 100% specialties, but I guess I'll ring in my 2cents.

I say just keep your current configuration and just save up all your money for a new pc. I say that because I don't know your PSU(power supply) so a new GPU(gfx card) could overpower the PSU, so then you'd have to buy a PSU, theres 2 purchases already.
    Then if you did buy those 2, then you could get away with 1gb of ram, but playing Bioshock or any newer game is really gonna tax your ram loosing quiet a bit of performance. Then also your CPU is gonna start bottlenecking your GPU.

I've built 3 Quad-core DX10 computers in the last 2 months that were on a budget, and they were only ranging from $1300-1600.
and those have had thing you might not need, like DVD drives and HDD's(hard drives). So my recommendation would be to save up your cash, and $1,000 will get you a Quad core DX10 PC fully ready to play any game out on high GFX and future games as well (cough....Crysis...cough)

P.S. you can run the Bioshock Demo on SM2, but its has Extremely long loadtimes and textures are little weird, and this is all with couple file tweaks.......but it's really not worth the time, but it is possible.

And make your friends jealous, even with simple benchmarks ;)

wait what the fuck? the max you can get on the Vista scores is meant to be 5.9 - i can't get any higher than that, neither can other people, how the smeg did you got it out of ten?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 12:27:39 am »

HAHA, was waiting for a Vista user to comment on that, yeah its a old vista trick, you can go and modify the file, and manually change your settings, my real score was i think like 5.5 or something, but I also got a score of 1.0 on a quadcore so its a little off, was gonna re-test after I installed Sp1b but then I got a new PC and just was to lazy to install Vista and SP1b that took 1 hour to install.

DaDude

• Secret Agent
  • DaDude has no influence.
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 06:27:19 pm »

I've decided to wait it out - Bioshock will still look fantastic in a year 9to me), so I'm not bothered. Shame I ruined what happens though. :/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up