GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 02:27:08 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crosshair too big.  (Read 11451 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Crosshair too big.
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »

I decided today to try 2K (Double 1920x1080) to try and deal with the shimering effect on finer details and it looks so much better, especially combined with 2xMSAA. However, the crosshair is now too big. Is there any way to reduce the crosshair size?

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
Re: Crosshair too big.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:38:12 am »

Can you send a comparison screenshot of both resolutions with both crosshair sizes? I'm kinda curious how this looks myself.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:47 am »

Sure...

Also, when lowering the resolution, the crosshair gets smaller and smaller. I can't go beyond 2K as the menu text disappears, I'm now realising this is a bug issue and probably should be in the bug reporting section, but originally it was just a question... There seems to be some kind of scaling issue regarding resolution change, I suspect the crosshair and text are both linked to it. If anyone knows a way to decrease the crosshair size that would be great  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:49:57 am by markpeterjameslegg »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »

This has nothing to do with the text size. The crosshair size is determined based on the Y-Resolution, as in its scaled by the number of vertical pixels. This really shouldn't be happening, but there is another wrinkle.... did you change the FOV at all? The crosshair is also moved around based on the zoom level.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »

This has nothing to do with the text size. The crosshair size is determined based on the Y-Resolution, as in its scaled by the number of vertical pixels. This really shouldn't be happening, but there is another wrinkle.... did you change the FOV at all? The crosshair is also moved around based on the zoom level.

No, FOV is at default, I've never tried changing that... Would that help?

EDIT: I tried upping my FOV to 100, and it worked, the crosshair looks pretty much normal size. Question though... Can you not get banned for an altered FOV whilst playing on the servers? I know Rockstar were banning accounts for the FOV hack on GTA V, they said it gave players an unfair advantage being able to see more scenery than other players.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:13:10 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »

We don't ban for different FOV.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:52:44 pm »

Cool, it's as good a fix as any, and I quite like the look of the higher FOV, thanks for your help :)

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:15:22 pm »

How did you even change FOV? Isn't it locked? I'd like to play with 110 despite the graphical issues.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:00:37 pm »

How did you even change FOV? Isn't it locked? I'd like to play with 110 despite the graphical issues.

Open console and type:-

sv_cheats 1
fov 100
sv_cheats 0

Haven't found a way to run it automatically yet, but will post when/if I do.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »

So it's only for listen servers. That's what I meant, I'd just like to modify it anywhere but most Source games won't let you anyways.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:13 pm »

So it's only for listen servers. That's what I meant, I'd just like to modify it anywhere but most Source games won't let you anyways.

Oh, I see what your saying, you can't use sv_cheats on a cheat free server. There is no way to change the default fov by the looks of it, there is actually command to do so, but everytime it defaults back to 90, can't find any way to keep it at 100 on startup.
What I have done is create a "fov.cfg" with the following lines...

sv_cheats 1
fov 100

And along with this create an "autoexec.cfg" with the following line...

bind "o" "exec fov"

I just press "o" at the start of the map, it does mean doing it everytime you start a new map though. I wish there was some other permanent way to shrink the crosshair, but this will have to do me I guess.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:30:30 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:31 pm »

I seem to remember there used to be a command to change the size of it when it was part of the VGUI and not rendered in 3D space.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:38:23 pm »

Sure...

Also, when lowering the resolution, the crosshair gets smaller and smaller. I can't go beyond 2K as the menu text disappears, I'm now realising this is a bug issue and probably should be in the bug reporting section, but originally it was just a question... There seems to be some kind of scaling issue regarding resolution change, I suspect the crosshair and text are both linked to it. If anyone knows a way to decrease the crosshair size that would be great  :)

Well at least you wont miss :)

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 03:45:47 am »

Well I had a rather interesting experience messing with the FOV in-game.

So to my knowledge, 1 and 200 are the lowest/highest that I've experimented with. Kinda reminds me of the days back in Windows 98 era when 3D Hunting Grizzly allowed you to change the FOV using + - keys. In my 4 year old mind at the time, I thought that by changing the FOV, you'd make the game run faster. Of course, I was wrong.

The Crosshair gets amazingly small with the higher the FOV. Had a bit of fun doing it.

Recorded a video on it:

This was Enzo.Matrix' Test video to show EyeFinity (which increases the FOV):

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:45:44 am by codemaster94 »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 08:12:44 am »

That triple monitor setup is awesome.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up