GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:33:11 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create Server, how to find?  (Read 6767 times)

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Ego_Bizarro has no influence.
Create Server, how to find?
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:30:56 am »

Heya guys!

So, I do play on public servers; however, a friend of mine is kinda sociophobe and only wants to play against bots and me (at least at first).
So I thought with just one or two players there shouldn't be a need for a dedicated server and I thought I'd just use 'create game' and let him join. Is that even possible?
If it is, well, he can't find my server. Do I have to do some of that complicated port forwarding business or something?

I searched the forum but only seemed to find people wanting to setup a dedicated server and that's a different thing with different issues I guess.

Thanks!

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
Re: Create Server, how to find?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:43:45 am »

You need to forward 27015 UDP+TCP.

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:15:30 am »

Alright, I feared it would be something like that >_<

So, in my router settings I find this: under port forwarding:

Local IP:    
Local Startport:   
Local Endport:   
Extern Startport:   
Extern Endport:   
Protocol:

1. Do I have to put something in all those fields? Or only in extern?
2. Do I just put 27015 in start port and end port or do I have to put lower and higher numbers there, like a 'range' of ports opened?
3. Local IP... Doesn't this one change with every time I my router accesses the internet? So what do I put in there then?
4. Under protocol I just choose 'both' I guess.

soupcan

• 00 Agent
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »

Local IP is the IP address of your computer on the local network (you can get this via ipconfig in command prompt). You can either use a static IP on your computer or, on some routers, use DHCP reservation so that the router always gives your computer the same IP.

For the ports, using 27015 for all four should be fine.

Protocol is both.

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »

Thank you!

Unfortunately, it's still not working. Temporarily disabling Windows Firewall also didn't do anything.

Now, I've found this page (I guess TF2 has the same network engine as GE:S?): http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/CBN/CH7486E/Team_Fortress_2.htm
It tells me I need a static IP Address first... is that right?

The IP Address I found through IPConfig was 192.168.0.3 Could that be right? Or do I need that longer IPv6 address?

When it's all set up correctly, how would my friend be able to join my game? By me inviting him through Steam or should he be able to find my game under 'Friends' in the 'Join Server' window?

soupcan

• 00 Agent
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 06:39:21 pm »

You don't necessarily need a static IP -- either on the WAN or LAN side -- though it is more convenient.

Your IP address would appear to be correct. To test port forwarding, I like to use canyouseeme.org (run with your server running).

Be aware there is a difference between private (local) and public IP addresses. Your friend won't be able to connect to 192.168.0.3, for example. Just Google 'what is my ip' and it will tell you your public IP address.

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:50:25 pm »

Hm, weird. I used 192.168.0.3 and now my friend could see and join my game.
So I'm not sure what you mean by 'Your friend won't be able to connect to 192.168.0.3'

Also http://canyouseeme.org/ says 'Error: I could not see your service on port (27015)'

But if it now always works, I guess I couldn't care less about these things.
Or does this mean tomorrow my IP is a different one and I always have to make new port forwarding rules?

Oh, and btw: Is it normal that the wiki gives me 'permission denied' on every link I click on here (even though I registered and activated the account): http://wiki.geshl2.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:02:58 pm by soupcan »

soupcan

• 00 Agent
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »

We're updating the wiki for the next release. It won't be public until then.

If he's able to connect using that address, it means you're playing over LAN (or using a VPN). Don't take this the wrong way, but that would have been useful information to know.

If you're playing over LAN, you do not need to forward ports.

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »

Uhm, no, we're not playing over LAN. Actually, I could see my own game under 'LAN' in the Join Server window beforehand but only after I did all the port forwarding could I (and he) see my game under 'Internet'.

Ah, ok. Really looking forward to the next release. I'm getting back into that old Goldeneye vibe 8)
Is it still a long way to go?

soupcan

• 00 Agent
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 04:04:32 am »

This will attempt to hopefully clear up any confusion:

Your friend will have needed to connect using your public IP (the one you saw on the website) -- the other one is part of a range of IP addresses reserved for use on local networks. This means they're non-routable, as they cannot be used to access things over a router (whose purpose is to bridge different networks). In other words, they cannot be used on the public Internet, and likely thousands if not millions of other devices probably use that same address on their own networks.

The IP address you gave your router is of your computer's address on the local network, so that when it receives unsolicited traffic on the specified ports, it knows where to send them. Unsolicited traffic disappears into a black hole if your router doesn't know where to send them (since your public IP address is a single address that can be used for any number of devices on your local network.) This is not the address your friend will have needed to use -- they would connect to your public IP. (and one potential cause for confusion... if connected to/hosting a local server, your Steam profile will show you your private IP address. You would either need to direct your friend to the server list or give them your public IP to actually join the game).

As for release time, I don't think I can give any specific details yet. You'll be hearing from us soon over social media.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goldeneyesource
https://www.facebook.com/GoldenEyeSource/
https://twitter.com/goldeneyesource

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:49:00 am »

Heya, thanks for your patience :>

I understand what you say, I just don't understand why my friend was able to find and join my game (which was also listed under 'internet', not just 'LAN') even though I used that local IP address in the port forwarding.
Or maybe the port forwarding wasn't really necessary and it was something else I did that made it work (I dunno, like making an exception for srcds.exe in the windows firewall...)?

Also, if I have to use my public IP address in the port forwarding: wouldn't I have to change that every day because I get a new IP address each day?

Oh well, but it works now - whysoever - so let's just keep it at that. I don't wanna waste any more of your time with this :)
Thanks, mate!

soupcan

• 00 Agent
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 09:25:32 am »

The local IP is what you use for port forwarding -- this says to your router "for incoming traffic on the specified ports, send it to the computer at 192.168.0.3".

For hosting a GE:S server, you don't actually need the public IP to be used in any settings. The public IP is what others will use to connect to your server. They make a connection using your public IP, which goes to your router. Your router then looks at your forwarded ports and sees that connections to port 27015 go to 192.168.0.3, and so it then sends that traffic to your computer.

Your local IP will likely change from time to time -- if it does, your port forwarding rules need to be updated to reflect that. You can see this guide for how to set a static IP for your computer. The steps are the same for Windows 8 & 10 as well -- the only difference being how you can get there. In 7 and later, you can always just right-click the network icon in the taskbar and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center", which will take you to Step 7.

Your public IP will likely also change from time to time, but you don't need to set this anywhere for hosting to work -- it only changes what IP your friends use to connect to your server. In a game like GE:S, this is no huge deal since there's only ~20 servers that populate the list, so it'll be easy to find your server. In a game like TF2 however, with its thousands of servers, you'd want to just give your friends your IP so they can connect directly. You usually can't do anything to keep the same public IP, short of paying your Internet service provider for a static IP.

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 11:46:16 am »

Aaaah, ok, it all makes sense now.
So I'll leave things the way they are now and only change the local IP in the port forwarding rule (when the local IP changes) OR change to a static local IP.

Thanks a lot, mate! :)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 01:18:59 am »

What is the model number of your router/cable modem?

Visit this website

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

Choose the Name and model of your router and it will walk you steps on how to port forward the router.

Local IP: <your servers ip>   
Local Startport:  ignore this
Local Endport:   ignore this
Extern Startport:   27015
Extern Endport:   27015
Protocol: UDP + TCP as soupcan mentioned

I dont think you need to configure the local start and end ports. External sounds like its for people connecting to your server from outside of your network.  Also check your firewall in the router and disable it if your hosting a server. Also check the firewall on the pc running the server and make an exception or whitelist your computers ip and port 27015.

Cheers

EDIT: It appears im drunk and havent read all posts above and you followed the website and input the ports and ip.

Lets us know if you need further help.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:22:47 am by Hailtotheking »

Ego_Bizarro

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »

Yep, I already got it; I appreciate it anyway! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up