GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 07:23:55 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with setting up Dedicated Server  (Read 6341 times)

carnageX

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • carnageX has no influence.
Issue with setting up Dedicated Server
« on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:35 pm »

Hi all!  Found GES yesterday while researching older LAN games to play...and saw this mentioned in a list of LAN games. 

Decided to try setting up a dedicated server on my server I have running at home, which is running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. 

I followed the install guide in the wiki (installed steamcmd, installed the 310 app, and copied over the gesource server files into the steamcmd folder), then setup the batch file as:

srcds.exe -game "C:\steamcmd\gesource" +maxplayers 16 +map ge_archives

Tried to run the batch file (as both Admin and normal), I seem to have an issue arise.

I get a "Start Dedicated Server" popup, with nothing listed in the "Game" dropdown, and all the other settings are different from what I configured in the server.cfg file.  If I try to click "Start" anyway, I get an error that states "hl2\gameinfo.txt is missing"  and when I click OK, it just closes the command window and/or stops execution. 

What I've tried so far:
-Taking ownership of the steamcmd directory/files (in case permissions got screwed up)
-Changed the -game parameter directory
-Reinstalled the contents of the srcds folder

Thanks in advance for the help!

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
Re: Issue with setting up Dedicated Server
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:39:08 pm »

Use -console. The GUI has numerous issues.

carnageX

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:03 pm »

Fantastic, that seems to have worked in getting it launching at least.  Didn't know about that, thanks! 

I'll have to play with it more after work today to make sure I can actually host a game with it. 

carnageX

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:56:14 am »

I do have another question that I couldn't find the answer to.

How do you make a user an Admin on the server?  I wasn't sure how to do it through either console or the config files (or if there is a way to do it other than through the actual Dedicated Server console if it's not running on my machine). 

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:29:42 am »

There is no such thing as "admin" in a default server install; people with access to the server can run commands in the console, and people without access to the machine running to the server use rcon. Use rcon_password in server.cfg to set a password.

On a client, connect to a server (or run rcon_address host_ip:port).

Run rcon_password "your rcon password", and then preprend every server command with rcon. For example,

rcon_password 1234
rcon "mp_timelimit 0"

If you want something more advanced, use SourceMod. Note that Sourcemod plugins can be platform-specific, and many only work on Windows servers.

carnageX

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 03:39:26 am »

Ahh, I see what my problem was.  I wasn't prefixing my commands with "rcon".  Did that, and now it works.  Thanks for the quick help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up