GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 02:51:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hopefully i'm not beatinga dead horse...  (Read 4921 times)

cdoublejj

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • cdoublejj has no influence.
Hopefully i'm not beatinga dead horse...
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:06:00 am »

My inferior search skill brought up 1 post. Wonder about possible Big Picture Mode support. As much as i like gaming at my desk sometimes it's nice to stretch out and kick back on the couch. I wonder if it is possible to setup a 360 controller and use it well enough to at least enjoy the game in some respect.

I have self made steam box powered by windows7, XBMC, Steam Big Picture and Joy2Key, it's pretty nice, i can kick back and share my games with my family and friends and in some cases enjoy PC only benefits but, on the couch. would be cool if GES was one of them.  ;D

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Hopefully i'm not beatinga dead horse...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:05:29 am »

Controller support is there by default, it's an engine feature.
For 360 and PS3 pad we even have some config files that just need to be executed to map the buttons to game actions.

Just type in console: exec 360controller
or: exec 360controller_southpaw
if you prefer it like this.

You can also configure the pad input manually on the keyboard setup menue.

PS: i noticed some games have issues with the pad recognition if you don't use a certain USB-Port for it.
e.g. the Streetfighter games recognized my pad as player 1 and 2 input so everytime i pressed the start button to skip a cutscene, it gave me the "a new challenger entered the ring" message.
Other games just need it to be able to have the stick axis working right or at all.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »

I've been using a wireless xbox360 controller to play GE:S for years.  It works great and is easy to map the keys in the in-game options.  You don't need to use any other programs to map the keys.  You just need the wireless usb adapter for the controller.  If you map all the buttons on your controller you should be able to use just about every key you need.  However, I still prefer the accuracy of the mouse so I combined them.  I move around, strafe, aim, jump, etc. with the left stick/controller buttons and look around, fire, reload, etc. with the mouse.  You get the smooth movement with the controller and precision accuracy with the mouse.  It's kinda like operating a turret gun :)

I also play from the couch on my big screen tv so it will work man.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:37:42 pm by El Dudereno »

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:40:00 pm »

I use this to replace the keyboard...

cdoublejj

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:22 am »

I use this to replace the keyboard...

The Aimon XB? That looks like it's worth a try, i have a few applications/situations i could use that for. Also generally speaking the nice thing about the 360 controller is it works well friends and family who aren't as aquatinted with KB and mouse too.

So are there any special settings or binding i need to setup or do the defaults work well?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 02:49:12 am »

Unfortunately, one big aspect of big picture mode that isn't supported in GES is the main menu, for Source 2007 mods we're stuck with the mouse-only menu. As Kraid explained, there is full controller support ingame, however.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

cdoublejj

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:16:09 am »

Unfortunately, one big aspect of big picture mode that isn't supported in GES is the main menu, for Source 2007 mods we're stuck with the mouse-only menu. As Kraid explained, there is full controller support ingame, however.

.....yeah i think i remember now, i was gonna do left 4 dead on the htpc but, the most/part of the main menus doesn't work with the controller. i wonder what gives?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 08:37:34 am »

Left 4 Dead is 100% controller compatible ^_^
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

cdoublejj

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:18:58 pm »

Left 4 Dead is 100% controller compatible ^_^

that's what steam is saying. must have been thinking of L4D2. maybe the next version of GES will be fully controller compatible?
Pages: [1]   Go Up