GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 11:51:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Approaching my own demise--  (Read 9183 times)

Robert B.

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Robert B. has no influence.
Approaching my own demise--
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:23:34 pm »

Approaching my own demise--

As I lay in the grass, watching the sun rifle through the clouds and pierce the elaborate cumulonimbus that took hours to develop, I suddenly come to the abrupt and exact realization that I am rapidly approaching my own demise. While the world and all of its sheep carry on their day to day activities, I am stapled to an internal wall--panicking at the days to come--contemplating the edge of the universe, the moment when the last cell in my brain shuts down, the vast infinity of space, what molten lava would taste like for the first millisecond before it eats through my jaw, what the surface of the sun would feel like if stroked, why people believe in something they cannot see nor hear nor touch, an immediate recognition none of this truly means anything. Organic beings are an anomaly of science, mere odds, distinct possibilities and probabilities in a perpetual nightmare cluster fuck we call existence. Any single one thing we touch will outlive each and every one of us, yet we believe we control these objects. We believe we own land, property and objects--we simply alter them and provide transportation. Who gets the last laugh? John Doe the rapidly decaying organism, cluster of cells thrown together in a mobile state for 29,000 repetitions of the 24 hour clock? Or any single piece of inorganic material that surrounds us on a day to day basis, ensuring its own survival for thousands of years.

If I were insane, delusional or oppressed--I would solve the ultimate mystery just to accelerate the inevitable. My actions have a life cycle of 300 years at the most, my One-A-Day Vitamin bottle will be around for a few thousand. What's the point? Human influence? Involvement, occupation, morals? There is no point to life as Human Beings, as I am very appologetic to inform you. The mere thought of an afterlife is morphine to the gaping laceration we call personal existence. It is futile to avoid it, it will catch you as it catches everyone.It is difficult to imagine what dying feels like--where you will go. It is extremely and unequivocally depressing on a level I, simply put, cannot fathom. As stated previously, if I were insane, delusional or oppressed--I would solve the ultimate mystery just to find out the answer to the riddle not a single human being alive has the answer for. Curiosity killed the cat--what killed the human?

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
Re: Approaching my own demise--
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:38:31 pm »

I know theres going to be some schmucks that would take this post as a joke but if you are feeling depressed or anything don't do anything stupid. We lost the creator of this mod last year and his final words he left behind are reminiscent to what you are saying here. Maybe I'm overlooking something here and taking it too serious, but this type of talk can be scary. If you need to talk we are here. I hear Loafie gives out free hugs too. ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:42:00 pm by Mike [fourtecks] »
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:40:02 pm »

And Beerz. Hugs n Beerz ;)
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Robert B.

• Agent
  • Robert B. has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:45:44 pm »

Na' it's just poetry.

Made some pretty amazing points though didn't I?

Spoudazo

• Secret Agent
  • Spoudazo is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:59:54 pm »

If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
(Job 14:4)

Our lives are as vapour, it appears for a little time then vanishes away.  This life we live is just a preface to eternity.  The question is, where will each of us spend eternity, with the Lord in heaven, or separated from Him forever in the lake of fire?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(John 5:24)

Spoken with love, Spoudazo. :)

Polizei

• 00 Agent
  • Polizei has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 08:55:52 pm »

All I can say is that the existential crisis is a pretty common thread in today's thought... I dunno, get over yourself or read some Kafka and develop things from there, that's what most people seem to do.

MetalLizard

• Secret Agent
  • MetalLizard has no influence.
    • Janus-Syndicate
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:57:48 am »

This thread is strange to me. For the past five months I have been going through an undiagnosed medical problem, which is just now getting a diagnosis. Many hospital visits, thousands of dollars owed in medical costs. I have had serious shortness of breath, abdominal pains, basically my life has been very very lame for a while now, and now I find out that there is a reoccurring tumor on my right testical. Anyway, I don't want to dwell on that. During this time, and still to this day I have questioned an afterlife, why we exist, what is this world that we continue to live in. A lot of people don't even look for answers, they ignore them, until they know their time is near an end. Some people, like you, and myself, search, think, research, and it is very difficult to reach a solid conclusion, but I might be able to offer some insight.

The very fact our universe, our planet, our existence, the way the creatures on our planet have such a great cycle of complexity, our emotions, our thought, it makes me believe that something created this, and it was not from random acts. No living creature on this planet behaves like us. They do not possess a consciousness, or a state of mind. They are not aware of their existence. They do not feel what we can. It makes me believe that we are not a product of random evolution, but rather of creation. Let me rephrase that, I do believe in evolution, but I do not believe that our existence happened without some type of guide, or direction. I didn't accept this with ease, you can trust me on that, but nothing has the mind of a human being, and I don't think anything ever will.

I have recently began to read the bible, I know that some of you will never pick it up, and that's fine, but I believe some answers might be left inside. Nothing should be taken in it's literal sense in the bible, many things are hidden, and yet to be discovered, some of it's symbolic, or metaphorical. For instance, I believe that when Adam ate from the tree of knowledge, that was our progression from ape to man. We became self-aware.

I will say one more thing, which has kind of stuck around with me. When I was in High School, I was sitting at my desk day dreaming, and I spoke out, "Why the hell are we here, what is our importance.", and some girl I didn't know too well (I actually forget her name) said this, "We are not meant to know" At first I thought it was a stupid statement, but as the years have passed, it becomes more and more of a chilling acceptance.

I hope I may have helped, but I doubt I have as your questions, and my questions are probably both something that cannot be answered on our realm of thought. It would probably take a mind greater than a human being's mind to answer such questions correctly.
This is America. A land founded by slave owners obsessed with liberty.

fonfa

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • fonfa has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 01:01:42 pm »

I went through this too. And came to the conclusion that life isn't meant to be understood, it's meant to be enjoyed. Just like women. Incomprehensible weird creatures.
[01:22 PM] fourtecks: YOU NEED ME HARD

Polizei

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »

This thread is strange to me. For the past five months I have been going through an undiagnosed medical problem, which is just now getting a diagnosis. Many hospital visits, thousands of dollars owed in medical costs. I have had serious shortness of breath, abdominal pains, basically my life has been very very lame for a while now, and now I find out that there is a reoccurring tumor on my right testical.

This sucks and I'm sad because you rock. The Bible is chock full of interesting shit and can be considered when looking at almost any kind of literary theme. I suggest looking up (what remains) of certain gnostic texts like the Gospel of Judas because of the themes which they further explore, namely the human body as a spiritual prison.

X23

• Secret Agent
  • X23 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 08:45:09 pm »

We are just a chemical accident, but we do everything we do to enjoy life. Just because random generic organisms live longer doesn't mean they're better. Technically we aren't really "important", but we've accomplished more than what any cell or anything can hope to do. We're sentient, don't downplay it. We say we own the land, because we're the only sentient beings on earth that are able to claim ownership to something. A piece of sand would "have the last laugh" But it's inorganic. If we all thought like you we wouldn't have invented the frigging wheel.

We're here because of just chance. We think because we happened to evolve that way. Our basic purpose is to survive, like all species. Since we have larger brains, and appropriately shaped brains we desire more, so we work to it, we built ourselves better lives, better technology in general etc.

Polizei

• 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:42:52 am »

Unfortunatley, X23, the answers you present do little to lighten the sense of purposelessness and panic which an existential crisis presents. It's a fine explaination for anyone who is in the mood to buckle down and grind it out like life is just one big MMO, though. The majority of people seem to accept what you're saying and most of the people with ponderings in this thread accept that mantra most of the time, too. But during a crisis, it's just not good enough.

.sh4k3n

• 00 Agent
  • .sh4k3n is looked down upon.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:08 am »

This is something I've been mulling over quite a lot recently as well. It's always been something that's caught my interest, this natural aspect of the human psyche to question our existence. Purportedly, these are great questions, possibly unanswerable, but great is truly a relative term, and relatively speaking, our lives are irrelevant. If there is no reason for our existence other than chance, no higher purpose to our lives than survival and perpetuating the species, and no afterlife, how does that change anything? There's nothing to be done for it. And presuming there is no eternal thereafter upon shuffling off this mortal coil, what of those who sat anxiously anticipating it?

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
  • Shaken not Stirred is looked down upon.
    • FP.tk
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 10:43:45 am »

Oh thank god.

I don't want to go through what happened with...well...I don't need to bring it up. (R.I.P)

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:59:56 am »

that goes without saying, SNS.

and actually i can draw upon my own past, but i'm not going to.
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

Spoudazo

• Secret Agent
  • Spoudazo is looked down upon.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

Some more things to consider,
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Romans 2:14-16

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up