GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:19:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Guards  (Read 45853 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Guards
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 09:48:17 am »

Excellent work! I hope you apply for the team.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »

My Mudbox broke so I spent my time doing the rest of the texture instead of the boots. Garrison cap will be after that. If any developers are interested in the face thing, please send me a private message with at least 2 pictures of your face: head on and a side view. Facing a window in daylight should give you good lighting. One at a 45' angle would be good too. In case I get a lot of PMs, I only need one right now since I'm not sure how well it will turn out. And preferably male developers, unless female developers want their head on a man's body.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:32:37 pm by DrDean »

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »

It looks really good! I hope you make more players for GE:S as a real developer someday.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »

Looks great :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

Be careful with the suspenders that go to the shoulders, it makes rigging (and animating) the character a BITCH without it looking hokey. Source engine is terrible about flexing.

If I were you I would just nix those entirely and add a pistol holster instead. Would look pretty badass

Lord_Crow

• I sell stamps and stamp accessories.
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Lord_Crow barely matters.Lord_Crow barely matters.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 12:27:47 am »

Pardon me, but you certainly have caught my interest in creating character models.

I did catch you in the writing that you use Marvelous Designer and 3DS Max, is there by any chance other programs you use, like Blender and sorts?

I just want to try my hand at it as well, and see where I go.

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.DrDean has an aura about them.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:57 am »

Pardon me, but you certainly have caught my interest in creating character models.

I did catch you in the writing that you use Marvelous Designer and 3DS Max, is there by any chance other programs you use, like Blender and sorts?

I just want to try my hand at it as well, and see where I go.
I'm using 3DS Max 2010 for most of the work, Marvelous Designer 2 for simulating the cloth, TopoGun 2 for re-topologizing the high poly mesh that was exported from MD2, and xNormal for baking the high poly mesh onto the low poly. And I was going to use Mudbox (zBrush is more powerful and is usually the preferred program for high poly sculpting but Mudbox's UI is similar to 3DS Max's), but it's broken and I don't feel like re-installing it. xNormal's free and a really great tool for baking normal/ambient occlusion maps and all other sorts of magic, but all the other programs I listed are paid or have a free trial. Don't think TopoGun's trial supports exporting but the program is literally magic. This was the first time I used it and you basically just draw on how you want your topology to go. Still takes a lot of effort and time, but it saved me a lot of work in 3DS Max and looks pretty decent. It may seem like a lot of programs, but you could easily get by with just a modeling program like 3DS Max or Blender if you wanted to - (but I would recommend something to make the high poly in so you can have nice normal maps with clothing folds and such like zBrush or Mudbox, Marvelous Designer even). You're supposed to make a base human mesh and then import it into MD and simulate the cloth over that, but it also has generic humans included. I used one of the generic humans as a base but in retrospect I probably should have made a mesh first, the proportions are a little off compared to the rest of the GE:S characters. That will probably bite me when I go to rig it.

I could never get into Blender's UI design myself but you absolutely could use it for modeling out and rigging the character. You'll have to figure out how to use Blender on your own, I'm afraid. Blender's a lot more popular now than it was last time I tried it so I am sure there are more tutorials you can find. I have a few things bookmarked that may or may not help. It's mostly theory stuff so it should apply to Blender as well.

Be careful with the suspenders that go to the shoulders, it makes rigging (and animating) the character a BITCH without it looking hokey. Source engine is terrible about flexing.

If I were you I would just nix those entirely and add a pistol holster instead. Would look pretty badass

Oh it absolutely will be, but I tried to match the topology of the suspenders with the body and I have the freedom of adding/removing edge loops as I'm rigging so it should be a little easier. Floating geometry in general is just a pain, those buttons and epaulets will do me in as well. Thanks for suggesting a pistol holster, would give me an excuse to throw in a jigglebone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:14:15 pm by DrDean »

Lord_Crow

• I sell stamps and stamp accessories.
  • Agent
  • Lord_Crow barely matters.Lord_Crow barely matters.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:52 pm »

Alright, thank you so much for the explanation! I can't wait to get started as soon as I get some free time.

I'm using 3DS Max 2010 for most of the work, Marvelous Designer 2 for simulating the cloth, TopoGun 2 for re-topologizing the high poly mesh that was exported from MD2, and xNormal for baking the high poly mesh onto the low poly. And I was going to use Mudbox (zBrush is more powerful and is usually the preferred program for high poly sculpting but Mudbox's UI is similar to 3DS Max's), but it's broken and I don't feel like re-installing it. xNormal's free and a really great tool for baking normal/ambient occlusion maps and all other sorts of magic, but all the other programs I listed are paid or have a free trial. Don't think TopoGun's trial supports exporting but the program is literally magic. This was the first time I used it and you basically just draw on how you want your topology to go. Still takes a lot of effort and time, but it saved me a lot of work in 3DS Max and looks pretty decent. It may seem like a lot of programs, but you could easily get by with just a modeling program like 3DS Max or Blender if you wanted to - (but I would recommend something to make the high poly in so you can have nice normal maps with clothing folds and such like zBrush or Mudbox, Marvelous Designer even). You're supposed to make a base human mesh and then import it into MD and simulate the cloth over that, but it also has generic humans included. I used one of the generic humans as a base but in retrospect I probably should have made a mesh first, the proportions are a little off compared to the rest of the GE:S characters. That will probably bite me when I go to rig it.

I could never get into Blender's UI design myself but you absolutely could use it for modeling out and rigging the character. You'll have to figure out how to use Blender on your own, I'm afraid. Blender's a lot more popular now than it was last time I tried it so I am sure there are more tutorials you can find. I have a few things bookmarked that may or may not help. It's mostly theory stuff so it should apply to Blender as well.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:03 pm »

That's a really interesting cocktail of software you have going on - seems like it would be a nightmare to manage the exporting/importing between all of them.

Blender's actually gotten much, MUCH better of the years. It does a lot of nice things for both games and film out of the box that a lot of other packages can't touch like camera tracking, high poly sculpting (though it's kinda weak), smoke simulation and compositing. I like 3ds Max's UI a lot more, but Blender has become absolutely incredible.

Shame it's far from an industry standard.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:56:09 pm by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:12 pm »

Blender is great as well because you can script in Python instead of some retarded language invented for the editor.

Jonathan Dark

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Jonathan Dark has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:27 pm »

Wow. This is really awesome. Hope my skills get better also :)

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 03:39:16 pm »

Das Boots

Added a thing to the suspenders/belt so the transition should look less weird. Does it need a button or stitching there too or can I get away with leaving it like it is?

Boots were done last night but I redid them because I didn't like how the creases turned out. They're a little better now. I hope nobody notices that the pants aren't fitted with the boots shhhh

In other news, I have two developers who sent in photos! Stay tuned for that in the future. Also, my long weekend is now officially over so there won't be any progress for awhile.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:58:19 pm by DrDean »

Trent Easton

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »

Alright, thank you so much for the explanation! I can't wait to get started as soon as I get some free time.

Your time is coming...my sweet prince.

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 05:00:24 am »

My body is ready.
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

DrDean

• Model Man
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »

Texture's 512^2 right now but I reckon it will blend in with the body better at 256^2.

A question for the mod developers/artists: I think the guard's main texture looks fine at 1024^2 for gameplay purposes, but what would you guys prefer? Obviously starting big and downscaling after would have been the smart thing to do but alas my .psd's set at 1024. I still have all the raw bakes of the textures at 2048 and it would only take an hour or two to build it back to 2048 but would that be worth it? The only thing that would be noticeably sharper ingame are the detail textures and I might as well use $detail in the .vmts for that. I noticed the newest Ouromov model uses very high resolution textures (4096^2 face texture probably wasn't necessary) compared to the other models. Not to mention it's a matter of blending in with the other character models and maps.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:48:47 pm by DrDean »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up