GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 01:39:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Saint is Building a New Computer!  (Read 11241 times)

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Saint is Building a New Computer!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:05 am »

They all are good. OCZ is also very good, as they purchased PC Power and Cooling years back who was hands down best PSU company. As long as you stick to a good name brand, high cert and in general good reviews, you should be ok. I have a OK Antec 650w and its lasted me around 3 builds and still works perfect in my main gaming PC.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 04:07:03 am »

As long as you stick to a good name brand, high cert and in general good reviews, you should be ok. I have a OK Antec 650w and its lasted me around 3 builds and still works perfect in my main gaming PC.

Indeed man!

Kratos

• Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »

Well shit. Missed that power supply deal before i could buy it. :( Anyone else have any recent coupon codes or discounts for any parts I am looking at? That coupon page above is expired now :(

just got this

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Aug-0-2012/laborday28/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082812&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082812-_-EMC-082812-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:02 pm »

Well guys, after about a month or so of looking for parts, looking for newegg sales, and just researching parts I have finally ordered all my components and they should all be here Thursday of this week. The final build differs in a lot of areas from what I put originally. I got A LOT of input from A LOT of different people. There were only a few products I didn't get a discount on (oh well), and I think it is a pretty screaming machine for the price I paid.

Here is the final build:

Corsair Carbide 300R Case - 49.99 after rebate - Arrived
Intel 520 SSD 240gb - 199.99 after rebate - Arrived
WD Caviar Black - 1TB - 89.99 after rebate - Arrived
Intel Core I7-3770k - 177.28
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1866 - 92.69
LGE Blu-Ray reader/DVD-writer - 46.74
Arctic Silver Thermal Paste - 7.99
Rosewill 1000 WATT power supply - 103.99
Logitech G400 Wired Mouse - 38.24
HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 - 30.00
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 - 32.99
Asus Sabertooth - 239.99
Radeon 7950 XFX - 289.99 after rebate
Windows 7 Professional - 139.99

Total -

Anyways, my main point of posting back was just to thank everyone for helping out. I appreciated greatly the help I got from all of you. I will be reporting back after I build it to let you guys know how it performs. :)

Lol@paying more for graphics, ssd, and mobo than my cpu :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:17:55 pm by CCsaint10 »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »

Going to make a build log?  We need to see your cable management.  :D

Kratos

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

Very nice build dude. That i7 is going to last you quite a while.

Get input from KM on how he did the OS and Apps to install on separate drives

I need to save up and upgrade as well. 

PROTIP: Put a pea size of Arctic Silver 5 on the center of the CPU  and just put the CPU heatsink right ontop of it. Why? if you spread it all over the cpu, and then the heatsink, your going to create air bubbles which will make the processor hot.

Im sure major and km agree???

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »

Very nice build dude. That i7 is going to last you quite a while.

Get input from KM on how he did the OS and Apps to install on separate drives

I need to save up and upgrade as well. 

PROTIP: Put a pea size of Arctic Silver 5 on the center of the CPU  and just put the CPU heatsink right ontop of it. Why? if you spread it all over the cpu, and then the heatsink, your going to create air bubbles which will make the processor hot.

Im sure major and km agree???

Correct. Even though I typically did the bag on finger technique.

http://teksyndicate.com/videos/how-apply-thermal-paste
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

I use a razor blade to spread it evenly (1mm) on BOTH the processor and the heat sink. This ensures a liquid to liquid seal when you press down. Never had any trouble with it :-/

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:08 am »

Well, One thing is sure, You won't have to upgrade until 2024 ;)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »

Thanks for posting that article, KM; really is the only primer on SSDs you'll ever need to read, and by the end I was sold.
Finally caved in and picked up one of these. (Reviews don't get much more extensive than that either. :P)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 07:29:39 am »

The whole thermal paste spread/no spread/bag over hand/dildo in ass arguments have gone on forever. It is really is all just up to personal preference. All methods have worked better or worse for everyone. Everyone and their brother says "this is the one true way" but I have seen it done all ways.

As for me, I used a fine edge and moved it evenly along the top with a pea sized amount. My CPU currently is sticking out at a temp of around 29 Celcius or so, which is more than fine for me. I will do more extensive tests later, but as of right now this aftermarket headsink and my 7 fans (lol yes 7) are keeping this thing very cold. :) By the way, I am using cougar fans that have "hydro-bearings" so that they run almost completely silent. I also can control and make profiles for my fan speeds on scales in relation to temperature in my bios. This Asus sabertooth motherboard is so badass that it makes everything so easy and customizable. BEST motherboard I have ever seen and used. It also looks damn sexy with the thermal armor. :)

Will posts build pictures later.

@Proxie, my cable management is ok. Sadly my power supply supplemental connector was too short to route behind the board so i had to mount it over everything...really inconvenient, but oh well. As for the cables, I routed all of them behind the mobo that I could and then didn't really take the time to zip tie and make it all pretty. Not much point, imo, of going from behind and making them all pretty when all the airflow is in the front and no one is going to see the back anyways. Plus, if I ziptie them or something, I will have to undo them again next time i go in and move cables around. Seems like a bigger pain in the ass then worth.

Pictures to come :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:33:23 am by CCsaint10 »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »

Cougar fans? Dildo in ass?

Sounds like a party!

Kratos

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »

Cougar fans? Dildo in ass?

Sounds like a party!

CCsaint10

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:31 am »

LOL@KM. Yeeeeahhhh! Party! :D Just stress tested the GPU tonight. 15 minutes maxed out at 100% usage on 1920x1080 with full AA. Temps ranged from 35C idle to 74C Peak. Did extremely well. Will be stress testing the CPU tomorrow and will probably do a little overclocking as well after initial tests. Handling like a champ so far. Just want to stress test and make sure parts are not defective. :)

Kratos

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:54 am »

just make sure you dont perform any stress test on the ssd, since its delicate.

Just use a ssd smart tool to verify the integrity of the drive.

Have fun with your setup and please do post the cpu temp for both idle and load.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up