GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 01:31:05 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Temperature  (Read 8762 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
CPU Temperature
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:53:45 am »

Hi people, just noticed recently that my CPU temp is always hovering around 57c, I wondering if that's safe. In the winter it was always between 42-45c, but then the house was usually a little cold, whereas the house is around 28-30 the last couple of weeks with the really hot weather, could that be the reason?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: CPU Temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:42 am »

Idle @57c?

That's pretty high for idle. My OC'ed quad with stock cooler is about 46c and around 23c in room.

Open up your case and take a look at your CPU cooler and see if its clogged with dust. That is the typical reason for abnormal spikes and in general high temps.

As long as CPU doesn't reach a extreme temp, should be OK. Though, hotter it runs, the shorter the life span of the CPU. Intel CPU thermal shutdown is around 90c I think.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:11:14 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:28 am »

It's about 28c in my room and my proc runs at 70c with a few programs running, And it usually always run at this temp, I don't worry about it too much... Should I? I don't know, But I haven't had any problems with it ever, And I clean my PC about every three months, Had this proc for about a year and a half.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:56:41 am »

It's about 28c in my room and my proc runs at 70c with a few programs running, And it usually always run at this temp, I don't worry about it too much... Should I? I don't know, But I haven't had any problems with it ever, And I clean my PC about every three months, Had this proc for about a year and a half.

That's pretty damn hot.  Do what Major said, you might also want to invest into thermal paste and a new heat sink.  Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is probably the best for the money.

P.S. My CPU (AMD Phenom X4 955) is overclocked to 4GHz and I get to around 58C under load.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:30 am »

I'm aware, But actually, I changed the thermal paste about five months ago, I just checked and there's still a decent amount applied, And the fan is not too dusty.
My heatsink (If I can call it like that, It's just a lame, Lousy fan) is a bit shitty though, It's the one included with Intel processors, So it doesn't do a good job, But my case is fairly small, So instead of upgrading this PC, I might just as well sell it and build a new one, I've got other plans on my mind for now though so upgrading this old machine isn't in my top priorities.

My CPU is running at 2.6GHz, Not OC'd, The highest it can get is like 80c under load.

Also, Intel CPU thermal shutdowns are at 115c. Yeah, I reached that high sometimes due to tons of dust clogged up the heatsink.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »

Hi people, just noticed recently that my CPU temp is always hovering around 57c, I wondering if that's safe. In the winter it was always between 42-45c, but then the house was usually a little cold, whereas the house is around 28-30 the last couple of weeks with the really hot weather, could that be the reason?

what is your cpu specs, brand name, etc

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »

what is your cpu specs, brand name, etc

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/processors/amd-athlon-ii-x4-645-908543/review/page:1#articleContent

Did some testing today, my processors peak temperature is 71 degrees, I maxed out Crysis with a couple of mods with AA at 8x, it was running really slow for sure, but I carried on playing for about 30 mins, as soon as I quit the game I ran Speedfan and my CPU temp was at 67 degrees, and I never push the computer usually as I prefer smooth gameplay over visuals any day. I also have never overclocked and never will.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:49:05 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:47:07 pm »

I like program 'hwmonitor' cause it shows peak temperature, so don't have to alt-tab real quick.

If it came with that cooler, AMD does testing and that should work and keep CPU running at almost any atmospheric temperature.

Oh and if you really wanna heat up and see your max ever temps would be. Download Prime95 and run that. That will show absolute highest your CPU will ever get, way past any game will get it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:49:49 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

Well thanks for all the help chaps, little one is in bed now so I'm going to open up the PC and have a clean, I think it's a lot to do with the weather at the moment, it's insanely hot right now, I have no top on and sweat is dripping down my back. I'm also going to buy some new thermal paste as I'm using the one that came with the bundle, I have been told that it's probably crap, I'll also look into buying a better heatsink and fan as well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:57:48 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »

I like program 'hwmonitor' cause it shows peak temperature, so don't have to alt-tab real quick.

Very cool program! Thanks!

Also, Intel CPU thermal shutdowns are at 115c. Yeah, I reached that high sometimes due to tons of dust clogged up the heatsink.

hahaa wow! Do that on an AMD, shit will rocket out of your socket and slam onto the fucking moon making an AMD imprint on the moons surface!

Ok so here are some things

1.) Its AMD... They are like heaters in our systems. They run hot as fuck! (i got the phenom black x2 555 and with stock fan i used to hit 60c, now with a new cooler I hit 27c-35c max. You can look into getting this cooler http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/08/five-lga1156-coolers-tested-on-lynnfield/212.jpg
It is the cooler master hyper 212. That's why i use

2.) If you using the stock cooler that came with your processor (has the AMD logo on the fan) then that should be replaced with a after market copper fan.
3.) You should remove the current stock thermal paste, and apply Arctic Silver 5 to lower the temperature even further.
4.) How is your case airflow? You want a 120MM fan pulling air from the front into the case and one 120mm fan the rear inside of the case to blow the hot air out. If you have a side door that has a place to put a fan in, (maybe a 120mm or an 80mm size fan) you want to face the fan so the cool air blows into the case.

or be a bad ass builder and do this http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

I will go with Intel ivy bridge in the future and find one with vt-d support  Fuck yea!  Good luck Mark and I hope you get your pc cooled!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:26:17 pm by Terrowrist »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »

My idle temperature is now around 35-36 degrees. Did some hoovering, although there wasn't much dust really, also plugged in my second fan, unplugged it before because of the noise the PC made, but until the weather cools down a bit I'll leave it plugged in. Thanks again for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up