GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 20, 2024, 02:56:47 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Quake was done today  (Read 3935 times)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
If Quake was done today
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

The sad truth about FPS today.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Re: If Quake was done today
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:23:50 am »

Planetside 2 is going to kick so much butt!

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:40 am »

Decent video out now from GDC of PS2

I know I will be playing
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:56 am »

This video is both right and wrong.

I agree with it, but...

The reality is that the majority of people are clueless. This applies to all walks of life. ~90% of people are incompetent. They are incompetent at their jobs. They are incompetent at video games. Overall, they are incompetent at life.

If you disagree with what I just said then you're probably one of them. What's worse is you're too incompetent to realise it.  :P

What happened was the video game industry grew extremely fast. The difference is 15 years ago you had games which where either well enough designed to incorporate subtle teaching, or you had games which were too constrained to have any teaching.

A great example of this is in LoZ: Ocarina Of Time... think back to the beginning of that game. Deku Forest... Remember? You had to get a sword and a shield before you could progress out of the safe area and actually encounter enemies. This forced you to complete 2 objectives. A simple navigation challenge to get the sword which also taught you about chests and finding quest items, and then it taught you how to find Rupees in order to buy a shield, simultaneously teaching you how the in game shops worked. When you analyse it like that, it's very obviously a way of teaching new players fundemental gameplay mechanics at a time where they're forced to focus on them and understand them in order to continue.

An example of a game with virtually no teaching in it would be Wolfenstein 3D. People who suck hard at video games usually get obliterated by the first SS guard that has an SMG. Tough shit.

Why has it all changed to hand-holding? Because the majority of people are incompetent. They need to be told to use walls as cover. They need to be told that they should keep moving to avoid being shot. Mass appeal means making a game that can be digested by more casual players. Players that play for 10 minutes then decide to go outside for a jog. Those pansies.

They were just as incompetent back then as they are now. The difference is those people who were incompetent back in the day quit playing and they ain't bragging about it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:29:10 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:17:55 am »

Thanks for cheering me up.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »

The intro made me laught, with all those Logos.
I'm still waiting for the day where you have to watch a trailershow (just like on DVD's these days) before you are allowed to play the game you actually launched.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »

I'm still waiting for the day where you have to watch a trailershow (just like on DVD's these days) before you are allowed to play the game you actually launched.

May this day please never come... Even though I don't play any new titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up