GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 20, 2024, 02:13:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glass Door Texture  (Read 6378 times)

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
Glass Door Texture
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »

Hey guys I know I'm posting a lot of questions but I searched for this on youtube and google and didn't find any information on how to make it. I hate to post this because I know I'm gonna start pissing some people off but I'm a beginner and there is no tutorial for this so.. Allright, If I wanna create a glass texture, In the .vmt file, do I have to make it VertexLitGeneric? And is there more to it than just setting the surfaceprop to glass? And finally, what's the optimal size for a door texture to be?
Currently in Progress : ge_mi6 hq

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Re: Glass Door Texture
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »

Glass is colorless green (0,1% green). So make it almost totally white and 99,9% transparant. The thicker the glass, the greener and less transparent it becomes.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:19 pm »

Glass is colorless green (0,1% green). So make it almost totally white and 99,9% transparant. The thicker the glass, the greener and less transparent it becomes.
If you want to have an actual ribble texture to it, go with shaders.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »

Yes, thank you, I allready knew how to make the texture itself. What I wanna know is how to make my .vmt file properly for it to work well. But thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

If you want to have an actual ribble texture to it, go with shaders.
By the way, do you know what's the average size for a door texture?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:41:53 pm »

We could help you far better if we'd know what exactly the door should look like.
A glass door can be everything from a regular door with glass window in it, to a door completly made of a glass plane.

I guess you're aiming for the 2nd one.

By the way, do you know what's the average size for a door texture?
Again this depends. You can even make a 16x16 piece of texture if you don't need any details on the surface such as dirt, scratches, finger prints or even refraction stuff.

A clean and plain glass door doesn't need to have refraction, you won't recognize it anyway, but it would eat up performance and might cause some visual glitches e.g. with tranlucent models behind it.

I'd use a dark, allmost black base color with a little color tint (slightly green for glass, slightly blue for plexi-glass).
As for the alphachannel, i would choose a 25-50% grey at first and tweak the intensity later on.
(should be even possible by using the $alpha parameter)

Since you're going to use the texture on a brush, LightmappedGeneric is your choice.
Also a cubemap is a must.
You're able to tweak the intensity and even the color of the reflection with $envmaptint.

Here's a template, feel free to use and edit it.
Code: [Select]
"LightMappedGeneric"
{
    "$baseTexture" "yourpath/yourglasstexture"

"$surfaceprop" "glass"         //determines the sound and decals when player shots object or walks on it
    "$translucent" 1                   //uses the 8bit alphachannel of the basetexture for tansparency
    "$alpha" .5                           //change the transparency. alphachannel of 50% and alpha value of 0.5 = 25%

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"     //enables reflection using cubemap entities
    "$envmapcontrast" .5          //contrast of the reflection
    "$envmapsaturation" 1       //saturation of the reflection
    "$envmaptint" "[.8 1 .9]"    //tint the reflection using [R G B] values, also possible to lower the overall reflectivity by using
                               //lower values for each chanel e.g. [.5 .55 .45]
}
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:44:10 pm by kraid »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

Edit: Ninja'd by kraid!  :P

VertexLitGeneric is for models, not brush geometry. Keep that in mind. World geometry uses LightmappedGeneric.

You might want to get GCFScape and scour through Half Life 2's vmt files to see what settings different textures use. Also read the SDK wiki religiously, you will find -most- of the answers you want there, granted there's a lot of missing information.

Decent door texture sizes would be 256x512 or 512x1024, depending on how detailed it needs to be. For a quite plain glass texture I'd recommend 256x512.

Not everyone has a lot of time to help answer questions. I don't mind, but to be frank, you'd probably learn more and get answers faster seeking the answers in the documentation and by looking at stock HL2 files or perhaps even on a more dedicated forum to this kind of thing like Interlopers or Facepunch.

It's ambitious for someone to jump straight into using Hammer and making custom assets too. Learning takes time, and it's not easy, it takes mistakes, it takes learning from those mistakes. Don't try to do too much all in one go, particularly on your first, second or third attempt. Mapping is like drawing or making music, the first few things you create aren't going to be any good at all, and that's all part of learning. So I don't recommend pouring your heart and soul into your first map. Because it will be the equivalent of a first drawing, or a first song. Even if it's got good things going for it, if you carry on and keep learning it will be nothing compared to what you can do 6 months later or 1 year later.

Having said that perhaps you have extensive experience using other level design tools? In which case, plow on.  :-)
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:27:32 pm »

Thank you guys. I've searched through google image to find one screenshot of the Die Another Day movie to show you what I wanted to achieve but I found nothing so I'm gonna give you a video link from youtube:

So I'm trying to do the glass panels you see from 0:42 to 0:55. Notice that at around 0:55 you see at the and of the hallway that they are in fact doors.

I thought about doing it this way: You can see the glass panels as being 3 frozen glass squares with 2 thin clear glass lines in between them. I'd reproduce the frozen glass squares with 3 grey squares with an opacity of about 50-60%. The thin clear glass lines would be represented by nothing(they would be transparent since you can see through them). So this is what I came up with, using Mangley's texture size:(The image I've attached to my post)

But Kraid, you're telling me that I would need a dark base color with a tint of green/blue. I do not understand why. Could you please explain it to me ?

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:27:32 am »

So.. What do you guys think...?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:35:39 am »

Well... in this particular example you'd be better off with a allmost white base color.
I threw together a quick example: download here

Textures are still uncompressed in case you wanna reimport into Photoshop for editing.
For the final basetexture you should use DXT5 while the normalmap should remain uncompressed (BGRA8888).
If the resulting filesize is to big rather reduce the imagesize to 256x512 then using compression on the normalmap.

Ofc. the appeareance of such materials depends a lot on the enviroment it's placed in.
E.g. it'll appear much darker and with more intense reflection in enviroments with fewer light, while the reflection is allmost invisible in bright areas (i suggested a dark base material in the first place because reflections will be more noticable on it in bright light situations and transparent glass is mostly visible due it's reflections).

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:36:31 pm »

Well... in this particular example you'd be better off with a allmost white base color.
I threw together a quick example: download here

Textures are still uncompressed in case you wanna reimport into Photoshop for editing.
For the final basetexture you should use DXT5 while the normalmap should remain uncompressed (BGRA8888).
If the resulting filesize is to big rather reduce the imagesize to 256x512 then using compression on the normalmap.

Ofc. the appeareance of such materials depends a lot on the enviroment it's placed in.
E.g. it'll appear much darker and with more intense reflection in enviroments with fewer light, while the reflection is allmost invisible in bright areas (i suggested a dark base material in the first place because reflections will be more noticable on it in bright light situations and transparent glass is mostly visible due it's reflections).
Wow thank you very much! I really appreciate that you took some of your time to make this file for me. Thank you really much. So the files looks perfect the way they are. I'm gonna try them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up