GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 06:02:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Checking GES server status' out-of-game?  (Read 4973 times)

Infinitee44

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Infinitee44 has no influence.
Checking GES server status' out-of-game?
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »

Hey, new member here - thanks for the opportunity presented in this most perfect, golden and rare remake of what has always been for me the best fps of all time.

I have a question I find too obscure to search for, so apologies if it's already asked or common gaming knowledge...

I have an ancient pc ('04) with full, small harddrives, slow adsl etc. It takes me maybe 3-4 minutes to load GES up and check servers [often to only find 0 or 1 (spectating) player on every server] ... now the occasional lack of players is a crime against gaming (modding perfection) itself and I try and do my part by playing/creating servers with mates whenever possible ... but the problem remains - it can take 4 minutes to load the game to check the servers to often have to close it all again, wait for cpu usage to lower and load the next scarcely-played mod on my short list.

I know, get a new pc - right.

But is there not any way I can check all the servers from my internet browser?
I've noticed ges-stats.com has three servers listed and refreshed and it seems logical that I should be able to check server activity through my browser for any game.

Apologies if this is something obvious.

The Game is wonderful fun and the sole thing I recommend to friends - the soundtrack is always pumping in my head and I dream of blowing Oddjob;s hat off with great regularity.

The only other problem I've found with GES is one where I'm always excluded from the right to vote on gamemode on my main server. All I can think of is that my computer is too old or my skill too great to be allowed a vote amongst the common ges-player  :-D

I am concerned that this mod - like a few others - will get too good and become an even more saleable product.
Oh it's worth it alright, but it's infinitely more impressive to me that $4 hl2dm gets you this perfect remake of a rare, golden classic!

(Got my vote for mod of the year)

Lovin it!
~infinitee44

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Checking GES server status' out-of-game?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:06 pm »

Steam -> View -> Servers

Set GE:S v4.1 in filters.

Oh and its Free to play this game now. So $0 to play a perfect remake ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:48:18 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Infinitee44

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »

Majorly helpful, thanks man.

Excellent, perfect, brilliant, thank you, i suck, duh.

Anyone for a game...

:-)

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:41 pm »

That green stripe on the walls looks good. I wonder if I'll be able to guide myself to the armor without opening the wrong door first.

By the way, Infinitee44, what game server excluded you from the right to vote? Perhaps you didn't vote on time or you didn't get enough people to call the vote (this in the servers where you have to call a vote).

Infinitee44

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:08:51 am »

Thanks PPK.

I have only noticed it on (my beloved) Spectrum server. I dont think it's voting on time or not enough users to vote. It happens regularly enough.
All I can think of is that the server isn't reading me as a voting user.
Others on the server do not have troubles and I've gotten into the habit of disconnecting so as to let other users vote for gungame and rejoining after I notice the modechange in the serverlist.

[SM] You do not have the right to vote - or something to that effect.
I would try on other servers but I always get auto kicked for pinging above 250  :-(

Again, thanks for the help/interest.  :-D

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:10:42 am »

Yeah, I think we will need to look into that. MaJoR had a look the other day but couldn't understand why it would be doing that.

Any others have any ideas of what could be happening?
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:03:24 am »

You won't get kicked on Warrior Nation's servers, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen some high-pingers in there (high enough to invoke my rage hehe) so you should try on those, just to be sure. This applies to the voting as well.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »

Redtail won't kick you for high ping either.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:39 pm »

But if his ping is high enough to get kicked, play ability is lowered. Spec is a WestCoast server, and him being in Aus. its the closest server.

I'll take a look again, and ask around.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Infinitee44

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »

I hate to invoketh the lag rage.

What grinds my gears is when a server would otherwise be dead, the other guys on 240, i'm on 260. We have a great game without 'much' noticeable lag for five minutes and I'm autokicked.
Just senseless server killing.

Other servers (like WN) I either self-kick out of guilt or when good players (like PPK, perhaps)  :-D have a good rage when I lag out a knife round or something.

TBH, Spectrum is the only server i can reasonably play. Though it seems a lot dead-er than a month or so back.
But I hear-tell of new maps, noticed a RocketJumping mod and can usually harangue a mate into a game.

In fact what REALLY gets me is the contradiction between the quality of this mod and the # of players.
I don't mind if I can't play it well outside of a lan, but goddammit this mods so good Steam should be selling it.

I hope the dev's aren't disheartened by the poor playership (IME, anyhow - i'm guessing new releases see a temp influx of players) this is the game I want to play at parties, this is the game i want to play as an old man and show my kids and you aren't too far from being ready for a final release IMO.
Infinite respect.

(Would it be premature or too late to suggest GES be recommended to major LAN events around the globe? I think it'd go off like a bunch of remote mines in a lavatory.)

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

like PPK, perhaps

You haven't played with many people, have you? I'm far, very far, from being good at this.

There aren't many servers catering to Aussies. Spectrum seems to be the only one closer to you that gets most active; there are others, of course. It's just a matter of checking the server browser.

You can spread the word about GES. That always helps. The mod can't be distributed through Steam for obvious reasons.

Infinitee44

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:09 pm »

Was being polite  :P N I'm sure you've whooped me a few times.  :-D

I get mod copyright issues but GE64 is such a huge nostalgic thing for most ppl. It's all gamers my age seem to harp on about. (i.e. goldeneye's a classic, all these modern shooters are ****) and everyone i've turned onto it loves it.

I find it a [pleasant] joke that you can get HLDM and this mod for free.

This game is tight, fast (especially turbo) and hard - damn those heads are small.
If only the masses knew!
(instead, ppl are buying ge64 for their wii)  :-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up