GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:51:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The beginnings of GoldenZen music - looking back  (Read 6603 times)

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
The beginnings of GoldenZen music - looking back
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:37:25 am »

Hello dear community,

in this post you must not expect big orchestral, fat and perfect music, this post here is about my very beginnings in the music business.

Looking back:

1998 - There I got a new keyboard, my very first keyboard to be precise. It was also the time when I bought the soundtrack of GoldenEye - the movie. After a huge disappointment about this soundtrack I decided to emulate some of those deep, Serra-like instruments on my keyboard and record that - The result was a song that wasn`t perfect at all: No quantize, no note correction, no final mix, just the pure midi sound with all its beauty; this was the result:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The%20very%20beginning%20of%20GoldenZen%202%20(made%20in%201998).mp3

You might want to pay attention to some of the sound effects I`ve started to create in that time and you can hear them in their early shape...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:42:35 am by Goldenzen »
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
Re: The beginnings of GoldenZen music - looking back
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:41:04 am »

1999: After these beginnings, which today might sound ridiculous, I seriously began to make music more often.
Soon I got a sound package of instruments and an old version of Logic Pro, which then was still available for computer. Then I had a good mentor from Berlin/Germany, Rico Bernhagen, who helped me with a lot of stuff and thanks to him I dare say I am where I am now.
As next step I took the midi files of the above song and applied "better" sounding instruments on it:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The%20very%20beginning%20of%20GoldenZen%201%20(made%20in%201999).mp3

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:44 am »

end of 1999: After a lot of work on these sound effects and studying Serra`s arrangements I`ve created a suite for Severnaya, which should reflect the old, dark and snowy atmosphere of Servernaya:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The%20very%20beginning%20of%20GoldenZen%203%20(made%20in%201999).MP3

Here you can hear how I`ve tried to recreate some of those Serra choir and strings effects but which then in that time sounded more funny instead of terrifying...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:46:36 am by Goldenzen »

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:46 am »

2000: In the beginning of the year 2000, in January, it was very cold and dark one sunday and I felt like doing some Serra like music again, this was the result:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The%20very%20beginning%20of%20GoldenZen%204%20(made%20in%201999).MP3

In my opinion not to bad since it creates a certain atmosphere and has a dark heavy touch without being ridiculous

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »

2000: Soon after this song I felt like recreating the song heard in the GoldenEye movie, where they`re trapped in the tiger, the result is - well if you listen to it today - terrible, but back in 2000 it was quite good:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/Bomb%20Activation.mp3
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:03:52 pm by Goldenzen »

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:03:30 pm »

2001: After the period of those Midi songs my friend Rico from Berlin had nothing to do, so I asked him if he can help me out with a song I`ve just created. So he took my midi files and applied some VSTs on it - this was the first time when I heard one of my songs with instruments that were half believable and not with that terrible midi sound:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/Bond_freestyle_VST.mp3

Isn`t that a whole another feeling now...

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

End 2001: There I finally got my own VST package and started to make songs that had finally some music feeling to it. At that time I was in school and in the English lessons we all had to make a presentation - do I`ve decided to make one about music. Therefore I made a song in bond fashion which I explained from the very beginning so my classmates could see how songs are made:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The%20James%20Bond%20Walk.MP3

BTW for this presentation I got the best mark I could :)

So dear music listeners out there, I hope this was some interesting journey in the history of my music and hope you will stay tuned for more...

Cheers,

Yannick

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »

It's always cool to look back on things that you've done over the years to see how you've improved and progressed.  Not only that, but being able to look and see what sort of traits your artistic voice has developed or refined is cool too.

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »

:) Thanks JJ. Yeah I agree, especially when the part comes where it`s determined in which direction you go with your style.

Cheers,

Yannick

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:35 pm »

Awesome, very cool look back :) Great stuff man.

I wont lie, I enjoyed the last one far and away. :P

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »

Thanks man :) Yeah that`s the one who does not want to make you puke the guts out for the sound of the instruments :D

terps4life90

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:37 pm »

I really liked your songs, very bondish. The last one was really really good!!!! You were made to make bond music!

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

I also used to do some composition years ago, created some OK tunes, and some bad ones too. Later I started to learn the guitar and incorporate it in with the synth and drums but in the end I stopped with the synth side and started song writing instead. Just out of curiosity, where did you upload your music to, I've been trying to find somewhere decent but haven't had much luck, I'd love to show you some of what I did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up