GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 05:02:10 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Shotgun Shells & Rocket animations  (Read 5696 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
[Suggestion] Shotgun Shells & Rocket animations
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:06:14 am »

I wasn't sure how best to describe this suggestion...

Anyway. As we all should know, in Goldeneye 64, the reserve shells mounted on the shotguns decreased when you had less than 5 reserve shells in your ammunition.

I know that the shells are part of the weapon model in GE:S, though as far as I understand it should possible to make it so that they decrease in very much the same way by having a separate 'animation frame' for the shotgun with 5 shells, 4 shells, 3 shells, 2 shells, 1 shell and 0 shells. Then when the shotgun is reloaded or switched to it can be made to check how much ammunition is in reserve, if 5 or more it would stay at 5 shells, if 4 it would swap to the 'animation frame' with 4 shells etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is possible?

And of course the same method could be used to make the rocket 'disappear' from the end of the rocket launcher on firing and then replaced when reloaded. Giving the illusion that it has actually been fired off.

I'm aware that this isn't an incredibly important suggestion and would require a fair bit of work... Though it would be delightful to see in the future.

PS: Apologies that I don't know the correct terminology with regard to model animations, I hope it's understandable.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:08:10 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: [Suggestion] Shotgun Shells & Rocket animations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:13:27 am »

Yeah, this is something I wanted to do with the Rocket Launcher before Beta 4 but nobody ever bothered uploading the source files.

We're perfectly capable of doing it, really the only thing stopping me from doing it this second is the fact that we don't have a lot of the original uncompiled source files for a lot of models, as they were often only kept on the original developers' computers. This is why we still have things like the PP7 viewmodel having a borked scale and blended firing animations (which we don't want), some characters have off weightmaps (Jaws, Semedi), and world models that don't have muzzleflashes or shell ejection, for some reason nobody uploads their source files so other developers can polish up their work for gameplay.

Sorry, but the assets SVN makes me rage.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:30:01 am »

I know that the shells are part of the weapon model in GE:S, though as far as I understand it should possible to make it so that they decrease in very much the same way by having a separate 'animation frame' for the shotgun with 5 shells, 4 shells, 3 shells, 2 shells, 1 shell and 0 shells. Then when the shotgun is reloaded or switched to it can be made to check how much ammunition is in reserve, if 5 or more it would stay at 5 shells, if 4 it would swap to the 'animation frame' with 4 shells etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is possible?
There's a better way of doing this.
It's possible to enable/disable submodels by code, so if the shotgun and shells were seperated .smd files they could be triggered that way.
E.G. the 5 shells submodel would be swaped with the 4, 3, 2, 1 shells sub. or disabled completly if the gun is empty.

Same for the Rocket Launcher Viewmodel.
Seperating the rocket and the launcher into two .smd's and assemble them through the .qc file.
Next it would be only a matter of enable/disable the rocket submodel since the flying projectile is allready in there..

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:56:15 am »

Yeah, unfortunately what SSL is talking about is, because the pp7 was made so many years ago the source files arent on our latest development SVN ; same applies to all the other stuff he mentioned. This kinda thing is not unavoidable, we have protocols that developers are supposed to adhere to, but with a 5+ year project it can get tricky.

These handful of cases are in effect slowing us down and without the first artists co-operation it may be the sort of situation where a redo is necesary just so we can do what we want when we want, without long waits.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:57:51 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »

yeah great suggestion. i also wondering that.
Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:43 pm »

These handful of cases are in effect slowing us down and without the first artists co-operation it may be the sort of situation where a redo is necesary

cough* Depot* cough

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up