GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:34:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respawn Locations  (Read 12614 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: Respawn Locations
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 04:02:09 am »

not true at all, windows 7 is superior to 2000. Security wise it is far better, far better at ending programs that have stop responding, performance wise it does on par or better that 2000 anyways cause of its age, and boatloads more. Proxy you can't even talk when you have a computer that is a dinosaur like you have. Nothing runs that well on it anyways. Its a god damn ten year old operating system, cut the cord already. He should have to buy a new license so that Microsoft can improve there stuff. And they have. For instance, you get far less BSOD issues altogether. If you don't upgrade you don't only get behind Microsoft but you get behind every other software maker in the world. Plus, graphics can only go so high on 2000 till they have to design something better to keep advancing. It is dead, get over it.

by the way, I am sorry for derailing this thread. I am just sick of hearing VC whine about windows 2000....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:18:31 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 05:14:24 am »

My favorite part was: "He should have to buy a new license so that Microsoft can improve there stuff."

You should have to buy a new bathtub, even though you already have a bathtub, so the bathtub company can improve there bathtubs, by making them require more-expensive plumbing, have larger knobs that have signs pointing at them saying "THIS MAKES WATER COME OUT" and "DANGER, HOT! Are you sure you want to use this water?  Y/N/Remind Me Later", and you will be visited regularly by a little man to make sure that you installed your bathtub legally because you are by default a criminal, and to fill your bathtub with cement if you re-arranged your furniture too many times since the first time he came.

Your new bathtub does have slightly-better skid pads in the bottom, but neither are good enough to protect you from falling if you get too much soap on your feet, so both tubs require those sandpaper splat decals, but we'll pretend that slightly-better skid pads are an earth-shattering improvement.

I'm more of a shower-man, but Gabe Newell can't fit inside one, so he ignored shower-men and went after the giant jacuzzi hippies, instead, not apparently noticing that very few people have giant jacuzzis in their bathrooms, and those that do rarely use them for bathing, anyway, because hippies don't wash.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »

So... even though he calls himself gay Ben, maybe he's just not that into you? Is this about Newell going after Hippies? Who can blame him? :D
Besides, such a jacuzzi can be used by multiple people at once more easily and you wouldn't have to adjust either yourself to the jet of water or vice versa. Why is it you're not buying a jacuzzi yourself but prefer to shower quickly but only with some water drops?

After all an image of the working system every now and then should get you around most reinstalls and there should be a way (even though I'm not using it myself, yet) to configure 7 to behave at least very similar to older versions in terms of usability.

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 04:10:22 pm »

My favorite part of post was...the whole thing. What is funny about it is bath tubes are completely different than software and it makes the argument almost void. For instance, an operating system completely changes and adds functions with each version/does performance changes/tweaks. Bath tubes continue to perform the same functions and, although they sometimes add new features, they don't really change the core function. Windows 7 has done many changes, helped productivity, and has even added features/function to help make everyone's life easier. It is completely different than 2000. That, and it is far more stable than 2000.

Although it is also sometimes nice to buy a new tub and experience higher water pressure, less leaky water, and so on. This makes it all worth it to buy something that has been out a while (like windows xp) which is NOT TAXING whatsoever if you have anything decent of hardware because it provides you a step up in features, doesn't kill your performance because most of it has been worked out with 3 service packs and cause it is already outdated enough, and licenses are so cheap there is no reason not to. If changing on OS is THAT huge of deal and requires that much struggling, then you are surely out of luck because you obviously don't even want to take a chance with anything paste 2000, and therefore don't want to be a part of steam or any other software vendor paste 2000, which is kind of sad. By the way, who cares if someone checks if you are "legal" or not. It just an authentication tool in which you are superior enough that you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that. You are making VC's Citrus rodeo...after all.

It also isn't like windows xp and 7 are really that DRASTICALLY differnent OS's. They are similar enough that I am sure you will be able to figure them out right when you get on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:16:12 pm by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

That bathtub analogy works very well.

Windows 2000 is a rusty, battered old bathtub full of holes and with jagged edges. Only the most stubborn redneck would refuse to replace it.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

CCsaint10

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:01 pm »

That bathtub analogy works very well.

Windows 2000 is a rusty, battered old bathtub full of holes and with jagged edges. Only the most stubborn redneck would refuse to replace it.

This has been an ongoing battle, so I guess VC falls into that category.

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »

Holy shit people still use Win2k?!
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

I switched from 2000 to XP about 2 years ago (au cause de Chrome). Explorer is noticeably less responsive, and tends to hang. On the other hand, there is Luna, whose productivity enhancements cannot be understated. XP does boot faster though.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »

XP is crap. Windows 7 is the only comparable os to windows 2 k.

I can't count the number of re installs of xp I have done over the years. I have only taken the vista and 7 disks out of their cases once...when they were first installed.

olileauk

• 00 Agent
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:17 pm »

XP is crap. Windows 7 is the only comparable os to windows 2 k.

I can't count the number of re installs of xp I have done over the years. I have only taken the vista and 7 disks out of their cases once...when they were first installed.

QFT! Win 7 is excellent.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:08 pm »

My favorite part of post was...the whole thing. What is funny about it is bath tubes are completely different than software and it makes the argument almost void. For instance, an operating system completely changes and adds functions with each version/does performance changes/tweaks. Bath tubes continue to perform the same functions and, although they sometimes add new features, they don't really change the core function. Windows 7 has done many changes, helped productivity, and has even added features/function to help make everyone's life easier. It is completely different than 2000. That, and it is far more stable than 2000.

Hey, hey, hey, you could re-route the piping of the bath tub.

And in the case of windows 7; you can put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 01:09:56 am »

And in the case of windows 7; you can put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

I don't expect asinine comments from you Jerone. However, you just made one. Read up on what makes windows 7 a decent operating system before you post bullshit. Here is an excellent article to start with: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

It's not all about glitter and gloss. It's about compatibility (especially with hardware) which is mainly the reason why a lot of companies are dropping windows 2000 support. Frankly, it's inferior framework is not being supported by the manufacturers of hardware (read graphics cards, audio cards, etc). You just won't be finding any more updates to drivers for the legacy systems like that. Not to mention Microsoft has official stopped support for Win 2K for well over two years now. Valve doesn't want to jump through hoops to write legacy software rendering because the available win2k hardware drivers refuse to support their features.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:21:21 am by killermonkey »

CCsaint10

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 04:54:58 am »

Thank you finally a few people making sense. Totally agree though. Xp is crap compared to 7. I have never had to reinstall once either. Xp I did way too many times

olileauk

• 00 Agent
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 09:25:47 am »

I don't expect asinine comments from you Jerone. However, you just made one. Read up on what makes windows 7 a decent operating system before you post bullshit. Here is an excellent article to start with: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

It's not all about glitter and gloss. It's about compatibility (especially with hardware) which is mainly the reason why a lot of companies are dropping windows 2000 support. Frankly, it's inferior framework is not being supported by the manufacturers of hardware (read graphics cards, audio cards, etc). You just won't be finding any more updates to drivers for the legacy systems like that. Not to mention Microsoft has official stopped support for Win 2K for well over two years now. Valve doesn't want to jump through hoops to write legacy software rendering because the available win2k hardware drivers refuse to support their features.

I would applaud that post but i don't want to break your count of -666. So well said, sir. Well said indeed.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »

I don't expect asinine comments from you Jerone.

Hey! No, E! :/ lol

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up