GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:19:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Respawn Locations  (Read 12600 times)

terps4life90

Respawn Locations
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:44 am »

Respawn Locations need to be REWORKED!!!! I am sick of spawning in battles with 7 people  right next to me 5 or 6 times in a row, very unfair.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Respawn Locations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:57:58 am »

Have you ever played UT or such with many ppl on the same rather small map?
It's the same.
But as I believe to remember there was already some system in place (for GE: S) to keep you from spawning in too crowded rooms too often.

terps4life90

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:36 am »

I have notice that it only happens to me in the facility levels, first off there is like 8 spawns points in the gas tank room, so every time i spawn there i am getting shot at, but the other levels are fine.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:35:51 pm »

I'm going to propose a new spawnpoint quality formula.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:49:14 pm »

I have increased the number of potential spawn point candidates that are considered, in the spawn point formula currently existing, in v4.1.

The main problem with the formula as is is that it is a "good enough" solution. It gets the job done 80% of the time or more which is fine by me considering you already get 3 seconds of invuln after you spawn anyway and you just need to suck it up sometimes.

Anyway, so the original system considers 4 potential, randomly picked, spawn points and then ranks them based on how many enemies are within a 512 unit distance (~40 ft). The lower the number the better, obviously. Well if all 4 spawn points picked to evaluate are near enemies then you are shit out of luck.

I increased the number of spawn points considered to 8 in v4.1 which should bring my "good enough" percentage up to around 95-98% of the time except for really crowded servers on basement, complex, stack, etc.

----

On the contrary, VC's proposed method looks at EVERY spawn point on the map and evaluates the number of players in a weighted normal distribution based on their distance from a threshold to the spawn point. Then the best candidates are thrown into a weighted randomization picker which prevents the occurance of "the same point" being picked over and over.

This method would increase the amount of calculation proportional to the number of spawn points on the map (which can be upwards of up to 30-40!) not to mention increasing the base amount of calculation with the normal distribution and randomization picker. All in all, it is more work for little gain, which is why I rejected it. Plus I am not about to code and debug something that already is implemented and works.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:55:34 pm by killermonkey »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:59 am »

I'm surprised the current formula causes trouble.
Since when you imagine a map, chances are the mapper would put maximal half of the spawns next to each other.
So if there's X spawn locations and half of them are in area A and half in area B, chances for selected spawn1 to be in A are 1/2 * X.
For spawn2 it's 1/2 * (X-1) and so on. Even if X is big enough, it's roughly (1/2)^4 = 1/16 = 6,25% for all spawns being next to each other, meaning in 93 of 100 cases you shouldn't be having as much trouble as terps4life90 states. Yet, it'd be normal to have at least 1 player near a spawn location on a very small map with like 16 players.

Besides: doesn't such a formula work against the Dutch Rudder achievement?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:23:59 am by coolDisguise »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:58 am »

You say that as if there wasn't opportunity to optimize.

And who the fuck is allowing bugs to be written in the first place?  Must be Gabe because we don't cotton to that sort of thing last time I was around.

CD: Your math is dildoes.

Spawn 1 is always near itself, so its p=1.  In a highly-idealized system, we will assume nearness and q are related, so the chance of your spawning badly relative to your spawn quartet is about 7-to-1.  In an empty server, your quartet can miss the action, but if it's loaded up, you can forget about getting spawned in the bottle room with the mid-range weapon, because the stairs corner with nothing but popgun ammo and an RC-P90 sort of guy who just took the armor is the one KM selected as your destiny.

Don't matta' none, when I make my game its spawning will be awesome, a reflection of myself.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »

be awesome, a reflection of myself.
lol
The place seemed dull when you where away doing zombie genocide. Fuck knows what will happen next.

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

an RC-P90 sort of guy who just took the armor

Just spawn me away from that guy and I'd be happy.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:04 pm »

Well, No, for one I could fasten in and start working on my own game.  Since Valve is saying they will cockblock Windows 2000 at the end of the month, I might become suddenly zombieless.

I'll leave it to you to imagine what sort of game I would create.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »

VC's Citrus Rodeo

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ya'll gonna be my rodeo clowns.  Just watch out for the pineapples, they'll spike you.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:51 am »

VC...give me a break. You really just need to man up, stop whining about Valve, and go to the next OS. Dump windows 2000, move on. Christ... This argument of yours has been going on for too long...

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:20 am »

VC...give me a break. You really just need to man up, stop whining about Valve, and go to the next OS. Dump windows 2000, move on. Christ... This argument of yours has been going on for too long...

Fuck this thread just derailed..... I can't wait to see the response to this one

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:13:28 am »

Everything after 2000 was cancer, they focused on big red buttons and glossy orbs instead of what really matters, why should he purchase another Windows Software license when he already has one?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:15:50 am by Proxie »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up