GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 04:37:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Experienced Players Scaring People Away.  (Read 17541 times)

HardcoreMango

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • HardcoreMango has no influence.
Re: Experienced Players Scaring People Away.
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 12:25:03 am »

Went to a LAN last night, had people install GES, within 20 minutes everyone was playing a different game, they all complained about the invul between shots  :'(

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 01:52:42 am »

Did you explain that there isn't a problem?
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 03:04:17 am »

I actually got BANNED for playing so well on some server. I had to go and dispute it because they were pretty sure I was hacking (they recorded demos apparently that showed me "passing through walls" ?????) and it turns out they were wrong and lifted the ban. It's times those I wonder if I should tone it down to make people happy, but I don't really feel like just limiting myself to keep the peace, y'know?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 05:09:41 am »

Went to a LAN last night, had people install GES, within 20 minutes everyone was playing a different game, they all complained about the invul between shots  :'(

It would be completely and 100% imbalanced with weapons, and un-goldeneye to not have invuln mechanic. I don't even like that we have to explain it :P I guess because the assumption by them it is a faulty mechanic or a mistake or stupid. They usually never think its smart or innovative..which it in fact is :\
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:12:00 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »

The resistance comes down to the presentation.

In the old games, you liked invuln, because it let you get out of traps in Mario and Mega Man.  You could spend some HP to get through a tough spot.

In GES, newbies only notice the other guy getting the benefit of this because they are taking forever to kill him, but the other people seem to kill your ass really fast, because they are hitting the high-damage zones.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 12:02:52 am »

Oh well. I hope they enjoyed their cod or css.

HardcoreMango

• Agent
  • HardcoreMango has no influence.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 04:28:55 am »

Oh well. I hope they enjoyed their cod or css.
Was TF2  :P

I explained why it was there, they all grunted. I guess people are just used to the mechanics of newer games.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:44 am »

I guess people are just used to the mechanics of newer games.

And most of that people forgot what "fun" is there in a game.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

First off, I can't believe this post is still active, I wrote this a while ago. But I can understand why it's still going, the way I see it we have 2 sets of people here, we have the oldskool that played and loved the original (Like me), then we have the newcomers to Goldeneye that never played the original and are used to modern online multiplayer experiences like Call Of Duty which has earned it's reputation for good reason. Problem is that in terms of this mod, I believe the "Modern Gamers" outweigh the "Oldskool Gamers" and although some stick with it, most will leave and go back to their Call Of Duty. We oldskool players have such a big love for the original that we are willing to accept Goldeneye Source for what it is (Though not all the time), those that never experienced the original could never understand that or understand why we stick around.

I was reading about Goldeneye Wii multiplayer a little while ago, the reviewer and friends apparently couldn't put the pad down and being fans of the original thought it had come far since the good old days of the N64, but then I just found out a couple of days ago that Goldeneye Wii was built on the Call Of Duty - World At War engine which got me thinking maybe a fresh look at the mechanics is not necessarily a bad idea, take some inspiration from the modern mechanics of a game like Call Of Duty and bring this game forward into 2011, I believe the mod could only benefit from this in the future, and I believe that the mechanics of yesterday are what holds it back today. It will still be Goldeneye... In fact NO... It will be Goldeneye Source.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 12:50:48 pm »

LOL Goldeneye Wii is a bad example.

Look at their weapon selection (or the weapon selection of any CoD game without WWII setting), only automatic guns & rifles.
Allthough theoretically other guns like pistols are there but you won't see anyone using anything else then automatic rifles with reflex visir or scope in online matches.
Simple reason: you won't stand a chance with a pistol against a rifle spammer.

You'll never see a pistols only or explosives match like in the original.

As for the maps, the only decent one is archives, the rest are more or less one room maps with tons of props in there.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »

Simple reason: you won't stand a chance with a pistol against a rifle spammer.

You'll never see a pistols only or explosives match like in the original.

As for the maps, the only decent one is archives, the rest are more or less one room maps with tons of props in there.

Totally agree with the above Kraid. I'm curious though, do you think a fresh look at the mechanics would benefit the future of the mod?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »

Totally agree with the above Kraid. I'm curious though, do you think a fresh look at the mechanics would benefit the future of the mod?

No it won't. I'd rather see the mod die then change the mechanics.

If I can't kill an RCP90 spammer with my PP7 then we have failed at "RECREATING" the GoldenEye experience.

BTW, it is easy to dispatch a n00b with an RCP90 thanks to the invuln period and well placed, well timed shots of any pistol

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »

No it won't. I'd rather see the mod die then change the mechanics.

Don't think the mod will die, but you'll never shake off this common complaint. I suppose the question you have to ask is, "Did anyone ever complain about this on Goldeneye 64". The answer is "No", but then, the game was designed around a console environment and analogue controller. Unfortunately when applying the exact same mechanics to a PC environment with a mouse and keyboard, the original gameplay suffers somewhat in comparison.

Rare never had to explain in great detail the games mechanics in order for people to be able to enjoy Goldeneye 64, you just picked up the pad and spammed your friends, they spammed you back, and whoever put the most bullets into the other character won, it was that simple most of the time. I don't know how, but going from an N64 controller & autoaim to a mouse & keyboard with no auto aim whilst keeping the original mechanics has made the game complicated. It's lost the simplicity that made it so much fun.

Nevertheless, I still love this mod, and apologise for bringing it up again. I don't want you to think of this as a complaint, but rather an observation, I have all the respect in the world for what you guys have achieved here, it's nothing short of excellent, I know first hand how much work goes into a mod, especially one of this calibre, most pale in comparison.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »

The complaint is part of the problem.

In the old days, the game manufacturer offered you games and you put your quarters in and when you died like a bitch, you got more quarters.

Because the market is so wide and players can move-on at a moment's notice, design has drifted toward pacification of the userbase.  Suddenly, regenerating health, more bullets beating better bullets, and rocket jumps as an endorsed default method of navigation.

Eventually you just have to decide who your target audience is.  Just wait until Call of Duty has to alter its mechanics to satisfy the Peggle crowd.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

arturok1992

• Secret Agent
  • arturok1992 has no influence.
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 05:14:35 pm »

I actually got BANNED for playing so well on some server. I had to go and dispute it because they were pretty sure I was hacking (they recorded demos apparently that showed me "passing through walls" ?????) and it turns out they were wrong and lifted the ban. It's times those I wonder if I should tone it down to make people happy, but I don't really feel like just limiting myself to keep the peace, y'know?

igrenade's server? They banned me because i was playing well. Those bitches must die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up