GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 11:26:43 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Experienced Players Scaring People Away.  (Read 17502 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Experienced Players Scaring People Away.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:55 pm »

yes its true. when i am online, and there are only experts, i say come on i dont want to play anymore because they are better then me and sometimes they kill at spawnpoint and then i throwm my mouse to the wall ^^

This made me lol at work

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:58 pm »

I'm tired of hearing people complain about spawn killing.  If I see you I am going to shoot you.  Do you really expect me to stop and wait til you get a gun then try to kill me?  I spawn kill but not because I sit in one spot waiting.  It's simply because you popped up in the room I was dashing through.  I've been spawn killed countless times but I still manage to win sometimes.   

Sonny Burnett...bring it bitches :) 

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 04:51:32 am »

I'm tired of hearing people complain about spawn killing.  If I see you I am going to shoot you.  Do you really expect me to stop and wait til you get a gun then try to kill me?  I spawn kill but not because I sit in one spot waiting.  It's simply because you popped up in the room I was dashing through.

QFT
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »

That's not very nice Rodney or is it Marc.  I was waxing Marc 1.666 last night so maybe that explains the hostility.  I'll be looking for you.  All in good fun playa.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:54 pm »

That's not very nice Rodney or is it Marc.  I was waxing Marc 1.666 last night so maybe that explains the hostility.  I'll be looking for you.  All in good fun playa.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QFT

He's agreeing with you, and its Macc.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:35:50 pm by Proxie »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »

Indeed, and I don't recall any waxing.
If you were the one using Semedi there was a complete lack thereof.

Out of curiosity, what did you think that meant...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

Quit Freaking Talking....I saw the Quote For Truth definition too but the first sounded more likely.  My appologies.  I was just messing with you Macc.  You were one of the top doggs so I'll give you that but I did win some matches too. 

They need to show the individual kill stats.  I'd like to know who I do wax most.  Then they can make an achievement for the most and least waxed.  Call it Wax on Wax off.

Ok now you can tell me to QFT...  ;D

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »

They need to show the individual kill stats.

can get that here and here, looks like you "waxed" Bobbert the most with 17 kills.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »

Well I don't remember that dude but thanks Proxie. 

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »

Newbies are also faced with a lot of un-learning to do.  I tried playing a couple nights ago, and I couldn't hit for shit.  Why?

L4D.

L4D will polish your reaction time, since a split second is the difference between winning and being treated like a Blooming Onion, but there is almost no accuracy component in L4D.  You hold the button down whenever a zombie is near the middle of your screen.  I was having no problem seeing people, but I was firing before I found the correct hitbox.  Also, jump exploits, which we already discussed.

When people come in from games like L4D, they will not be used to the pass/fail nature of Goldeneye damage math.  For myself, if I stick around for a day or two, I re-arrange my priorities and then it goes to MWtGG and I'm back in business, but players who don't understand why they're a living lamer spree will keep screwing up, even if they think they are aiming for the head like they're supposed to, and will become pissed when they see themselves as trying their best and still being torn apart by the top dogs.

I know because that night, discounting the jumphax incidents, I thought I was aiming for the head but then I started mentally screenshotting myself and realizing that I was still in L4D mode.  Once I realized that I started hearing things like "IS EVERYTHING YOU DO A HEADSHOT?" again.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Stubbs

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 07:59:16 pm »

Why not put some tips for new players on the loading screens? There are a few things that would be very useful for a newcomer to read, such as:

- Time your shots. After a player takes damage, there is a brief delay before they can be hurt again.
- Aim for the head! Headshots do far more damage.
- Don't spam bullets. Weapons are more accurate when fired in short bursts.
- The weapons you spawn with are very weak. Seek out a better weapon as soon as possible!

You need to be doing the above, but you might not *start* doing that before ragequitting due to everybody else having this information. Personally, I found I was doing well on my first attempt, but I had read some of the ducomentation on 2/3s invincibility periods and so forth.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »

It's really sad that the devs should have to add anything like that. It should all be common sense to GoldenEye fans. I've seen 3 people yesterday alone complain about how they can't tell who is on their team and who is not. It's like, haven't you ever played GoldenEye before? How can you not know who is Mi6 and who is Janus?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »

We will be working on tips and helps and dev commentaries and many things to coincide with our content patch. This patch will have some characters and hopefully some more ways to streamline the learning process.

Of the 120,000+ players, i doubt even half are goldeneye fans, most probly just heard about an old classic being remade that was worth checking out and expected a TF2/COD/CSS type FPS so they could be successful at it. Obviously they ragequit because they'd rather play games they already invested money and time in.

This isn't a fault of our game, but a reality of gaming and mods. We still wish to try convert these dropout rates with clever well-made education :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:40:53 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »

I suppose my post was rather ignorant. I never considered that THAT many people may be downloading GES without playing the original. Does anyone actually know anybody who has stuck with GES and has not played the original, though? I can't imagine very many do.

terps4life90

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:14 am »

Here is my advice to inexperienced players. This is going to be kind of mean but straight to the point. Something most people usually do when playing any game for the first time. Read documentation, learn how to play, and practice before rage quitting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up