GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 09:48:14 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create Server Issue  (Read 6998 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Create Server Issue
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:37:38 am »

It's been two weeks now, me and my brother still can't figure out how to play together on this game, we have tried everything we can find. I've also tried setting up a dedicated server and had no luck as it just doesn't work at all, the guide's just aren't specific enough and leave too many unanswered questions. It says on the title screen "Create Server", so surely when I do this my game should show up, but no matter what I do it's not in the list. I don't understand why were having all this trouble, with every other game we just connect, it's that easy. I'm losing my mind on this one now and nearing the point of giving up altogether, can someone offer any suggestions.

Im on Windows 7 (Firewall On)
I have a Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl Router (Firewall off) :(

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
Re: Create Server Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:12:05 am »

Make sure sv_lan 0 is in your listenserver.cfg inside your cfg folder.
Forward port 27015 and turn off the other firewall.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:24:51 am »

@Prox - You are turning into quite the server guru :) Keep it up buddy. :D

Also, try creating your server by going to the console and typing "map ge_archives" or whatever map you want. Doing it that way instead of doing it through the "create server" button sometimes works better and configures it to show up in the internet lobby, although sometimes it shows up with create server too. Either way, it is worth a try. So (In order) 1) Forward ports, 2) Create server by "Map ge_****", 3) sv_lan 0 4) "changelevel ge_archives" in the console

The last step of restarting/changing the level also refreshes the server to show up in the list.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:29:22 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:59:23 am »

Here are screenshots of my router options, i think im alright on putting the port 27015, does it go in both, or do i leave 65535 in one of them, also i don't know what to put in the Local IP area, ive tried my IP address and have also tried the router IP. There's also that DMZ menu as well, not sure that has anything to do with it.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:56 am »

you wanna make sure they are open for both tcp and udp, not exactly familiar with having to forward ports or anything because I don't have a router, wait for someone experienced to drop by like KM or something.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

On this router it only allows you to do tcp or udp. But none of the other game i play online have this problem.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:00:54 am by markpeterjameslegg »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »

You need to forward 27015 TCP AND 27015 UDP.

Create two forwarding rules, one for each protocol.

Setting the computer hosting the server as the DMZ server will clear up all issues as ALL network traffic will, by default, be forwarded to that computer. However, be it a minute risk, there is the possibility of your computer getting hacked if you keep it on DMZ.

Also, since you have windows firewall on, you will have to create an exception for the 27015 TCP/UDP just like you do in the router. Google how to add an exception if you don't know how, I am not interested in describing it as its a bit of a process.

Here's how the process works:

BROTHER ---TCP/UDP 27015 request---> YOUR ROUTER

Your router makes a decision, do I BLOCK, FORWARD, or BROADCAST this request. When you make a internet request you send it out on port 80 but it returns on some random port that was determined when you made the request. Your router knows this and forwards the incoming data to the computer that made the request. In the case of half life, it doesn't "open the gate" like that because its just LISTENING for connections. So your router must be told to FORWARD packets on 27015 TCP/UDP to your computer otherwise it gets BLOCKED.

YOUR ROUTER -----> YOUR COMPUTER -----> WINDOWS FIREWALL

Again Windows firewall is getting a slice. This time its a tad more strict and will happily take down even the most well intentioned packets. It is an OPT-IN system so you have to tell it what NOT to block (either by application or by port number or whatever, very versatile).

WINDOWS FIREWALL -----> hl2.exe ---> Game time!

So you can see that even if your comp is on the DMZ it still has Windows Firewall protecting it. Who said windows was that bad? hehe
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:14:10 pm by killermonkey »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:47:21 pm »

Doesn't make any difference, im going to look at software installed like Avast, Tuneup Utilities 2010 etc, maybe it's something to do with Windows 7, im not sure. Ive tried turning off firewall as well, maybe this router is the problem, ive heard bad things about it in the past.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 03:27:57 pm »

It is pretty much trial and error. But if you forwarded the ports like km and proxy told you and you checked your program firewalls, then followed my steps one through 4 when creating a server, you shouldn't be having too many more problems. Message back after you tinker around with it a little if you still haven't figured it out. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 04:23:18 pm »

Nothing's working, tried the above... tried everything. Have been trying all day to host my own dedicated server, but ive tried three different guides now and none of them work. There's always dll errors or files missing. I already have the Source Dedicated Server installed on Steam for Half Life 2 multiplayer which also uses port 27015, and it works fine, i tried copying the "gesource" folder into the "source dedicated server" folder and it appears in the server menu, you can select level as well and how many players and everything, but when you go to run it it doesn't do anything. Could i not just download the dedicated server files from somewhere and just extract them where they need to go... i don't know, im tired.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:48:11 pm »

Man, did I touch your computer at some point?
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Proxie

• 00 Agent
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »

There's always dll errors or files missing.

well I think that should be your main concern, if your server has missing files you wont see it show up. Reinstall and double check to make sure you set everything up correctly.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »

And also I looked, your router can't even open up enough ports to correctly be a server. So thats a issue.

There are a lot of empty servers out there, in the mean time I would just play in one of those. Pick a unknown server and play.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »

I Know, it's not a very good router, and i have reinstalled everything but still no luck. This is what my router settings look like now.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »

Just put your comp in the dmz and make absolutely sure all firewalls are turned off on your computer (windows, zonealarm, norton, etc.)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »

Thankyou all for your help on this, you've been great. :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 11:21:28 pm »

Finally, after two weeks of headaches me and my brother successfully played together on-line today. Thanks again for all your help, couldn't have done it without.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up