GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 05:58:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: KM's "Go Green" Guide  (Read 7472 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
KM's "Go Green" Guide
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »

So, as you may know, I am a rather vocal person when it comes to methods to protect the environment. Vocal because I feel the need to oppose all the half-brained, half-researched methods to "protect" us from ourselves. The most notable of those is "Bio-Diesel" which will (and already is) going down as the biggest blunder in human history in terms of political, total emissions, and implementation stand point.

Anyway, so you want to "Go Green" (I HATE that term but it does sell)? Well I have been following some pretty basic guidelines since moving to Michigan for the past two years that I believe has made my footprint here as minimal as I would like it to be.

• Ride your bike for short distance travel!
  • Use public transportation as much as possible
  • Reuse your grocery bags until they fall apart
  • Use a grocery bag for small trash bag (small trash can)
  • Turn off your lights when not using them
  • Replace all your bulbs with CFL's
  • Try to limit the number of large garbage BAGS you put out every week. I only use 1 garbage bag for two people per week.
  • Take recycling seriously, know what your town accepts and SORT properly. Unsorted and improper recycles can ruin machinery and taint a whole batch of recyclable material
  • Lower your heating and cooling to just at your comfort level. Sweaters, blankets, and fans are cheaper and more effective at heating/cooling you.

EDIT (MORE):

• Refuse a bag at a store when you don't NEED it (single item, big item, etc.)
  • Buy a couple reusable bags at Target/Walmart (only 99cents!)

This is a partial list, if I think of more things I'll put them up here. I hate to do stuff that impacts the way I live. Aside from riding my bike (which helped me lose 15 pounds in a year!) non of these common sense actions makes your change your life style.

Comments? More Suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:42:00 pm by killermonkey »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Re: KM's "Go Green" Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »

I dont usually put shit in grocery bags anymore. I just grab everything and put it in the car or just put everything in the cart and throw it inside the trunk. Those plastic bags tear easily.

1.) Drive slowly and follow the speed limits, which will save you gas and other peoples lives.

2.) Don't floor the pedal, instead slowly depress it which will save you gas again, or your just wasting fuel.

3.) If your going on vacation, turn off your computer since your not going to be using UNLESS, you torrenting or going to use VNC on it.

4.) DO not throw away batteries that are no longer working. Instead, find a place that takes care of them and dispose them properly. Throwing them away makes you a ungreen person and toxic waste gets into water and makes people act retarded.

5.)Spread the word to others, and we all can help make the planet greener and cleaner.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:28 pm »

Don't throw away food in the trash. Any food and organic waste is biodegradable and can be recycled/composted. You can buy biodegradable bags made from vegetable starch which you can use as a separate food bin. Find out if you have any local composting or food recycling facilities.

Don't use plastic bags at all, you should be able to get durable, reusable shopping bags from large supermarkets.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

3. Reuse your grocery bags until they fall apart
4. Use a grocery bag for small trash bag (small trash can)
5. Turn off your lights when not using them
7. Try to limit the number of large garbage BAGS you put out every week. I only use 1 garbage bag for two people per week.
8. Take recycling seriously, know what your town accepts and SORT properly. Unsorted and improper recycles can ruin machinery and taint a whole batch of recyclable material
9. Lower your heating and cooling to just at your comfort level. Sweaters, blankets, and fans are cheaper and more effective at heating/cooling you.

Covered. (My house doesn't have AC anyway; #3 in the form of reusable bags now and then.)

We recycle paper, even though that doesn't do anything... It actually uses more energy to recycle the stuff than to just make new paper. I need to knock if off.
Cans and bottles, however, are very worth it and everyone should at least check that off their list if nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:49:21 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »

The energy of recycling paper is offset by the fact you save trees. Id rather have less fuel and slightly more expensie paper over time than even LESS trees over time.

Another big thing you can do is join the "clean up" days where communities collect garbage from beaches and anywhere. And do a tree planting program. Here in australia there is a single day where people plants thousands of trees.

Personal green goals are fine, but if you are serious about it cutting back isnt the same impact as GIVING back
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:44:19 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:57:21 pm »

Personal green goals are fine, but if you are serious about it cutting back isnt the same impact as GIVING back

You can give back all you want. At the end of the day the question is: Have you given back more than you take?

In most cases that answer is a huge NO. Therefore, individual reduction/cutbacks are a much larger effect then cleaning the beach every once a year when a lot of individuals stick to their cutbacks it adds up VERY fast and makes a HUGE difference.

For example, when gas cost > $4.50 a gallon in the US a few years ago, there was actually a MEASURABLE change in CO2 in the atmosphere because people started driving less and less to save money. That, my friends, is what its all about.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »

Can you all shut up and buy my crude..
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

Can you all shut up and buy my crude..

Can you pay for my gas?

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »

Only if you support the oil sands and your car can do 500+ MPG

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:42:49 am »

So, as you may know, I am a rather vocal person when it comes to methods to protect the environment. Vocal because I feel the need to oppose all the half-brained, half-researched methods to "protect" us from ourselves.

Touché, where I Sir support half-brained, half-researched methods. What is this talk of economic, political, total emissions, or implementation stand points.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:04:07 pm »

You can also throw your uneaten food outside. We have deer, raccoons, and coyotes that just eat whatever we toss.

And yeah, definitely recycle. A lot of my buddies just toss everything in the trash, which pisses me off.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:54 pm »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/04/06/calgary-un-report-carbon-dioxide-greenhouse-emissions.html

eat it suckers.  also most Mexicans don't have cars..  so invalid argument.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »

The energy of recycling paper is offset by the fact you save trees. Id rather have less fuel and slightly more expensie paper over time than even LESS trees over time.

This is why tree farms exist. We use trees so we replace trees, just like any other form of produce.
(I don't know which source is used more, but I wish the farm method was more common than it is...)
-The fuck was I trying to say...

~Edit for typo. We use trees, not tress...
~2nd for strike.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:00:07 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:04:41 pm »

Enzo, that article is a joke and a half. Anti-Idle laws? Really? I mean if you are idling for 10 minutes or more then it's bad, but summarily turning off and on your engine is worse then just letting it idle in terms of wear and tear on your starter and initial ignition emissions which are generally very sooty because of incomplete combustion.

Not to mention the UN is a fucking crack pot when it comes to global surveys (take the infant death rate poll they like to taught around but fail to mention that each country can define what it means to be an infant death....). And this is the understatement of the century:

The electrical grids in those cities run on hydro or nuclear power, whereas Calgary relies on coal-fired electrical plants that create more emissions.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

XBOX users = Infants = 17yo and younger...

+15 Gamer Score!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up