GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 11:54:56 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: steam store listing?  (Read 12641 times)

on0bi

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • on0bi has no influence.
steam store listing?
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:26:51 am »

there a already a bunch of mods listed in the steam store. why isn't ge:s one of them?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: steam store listing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:40 am »

We're just barely slipping by all the different intellectual copyrights associated with James Bond/Rare/EA/Activision/MGM/Microsoft/Nintendo/etc by remaining a completely free of charge, self-promoting, self-distributing, fan-created mod. Most vendors are afraid to touch us in either distribution or advertising because of all the different ways we could be sued if we ever start to make any sort of money off of anything in the mod. This means that digital distribution platforms like Steam/Desura or others will never support us.

Wake might come along with a better answer.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

on0bi

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:36:40 am »

ah, that's a shame. it's not a problem to the files from elsewhere. i just forget to check for updates sometimes and would definitely love for ge:s to stay up to date with everything you give us

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:43:57 am »

well, is it completely unreasonable to write the companies and ask them for permission?

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:23 am »

"It is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission".  If we ask them, and they say "no, in fact, cease and desist", we'd pretty much have to take down the mod and the project would be shut down.  If they said yes, then we'd be right back to where we are right now.  And we'd have to get yes's from 3 different companies, which the odds are against.

We are treading a very thin line, and we don't want to step over it.  Everyone is cognizant of the fact that we could pretty much be shut down at any time. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

First I hate these threads, so stop that talk now please.

Second
i just forget to check for updates sometimes

We are working on that..
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:18:28 am »

The biggest issue against seeking permission is there is NO definitive company that holds rights to goldeneye007 except nintendo and rare.

The best chance of remaining under the radar is those comapnies likely wont call for C&D. Nintendo dont really have grounds since they are at this point only a distribution right holder over goldeneye the game solely on their platform and Rare is under Microsoft and so M$ wouldnt/couldnt back a legal action by their subsidiary.

On other fronts, danjaq owns james bond liscencing but they are in movies so I doubt they would seek us. And activision only grounds would be conflict of interest with future JB titles they make (unlikely motivation since they arent remaking past intellectual properties onto the PC, so there is not actual conflict)

And yes, the steam store will never happen because of the issues listed here, which is even if available for free, distribution platforms will not risk making our mod available. Companies are more likely to sue other companies who use IP in unethical manners.

In some aspects we dont wish to go through the processes to become available. We want to provide for ourselves a good system for our fans to gain similar benefits without being a slave to someone elses conditions.

First I hate these threads, so stop that talk now please.

I wish an FAQ could be relied upon to negate the questions arising. But history tells me folks dont read them and just sign up and make a thread even ignoring "search" so my viewpoint is whatever :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:23:34 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

I wouldn't want to be on steamworks anyway. Apparently you can't post updates unless they are approved by Valve which bottlenecks your time line. Independence is the name of the game.

We have implemented an update notifier in v4.1 that will pop up a little window telling you of an update when you start the game. Unfortunately, to remain unobtrusive to your system, we will never have the ability to tell you of an update when you are NOT in the game. Although, if you sign up for our steam groups we always announce new releases through the messaging system on the group.

on0bi

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »

huh, i had no idea there was so much red tape.
it's funny how when people think copyright infringement, they think piracy and theft. but in this case, it's just a mod of a game that just happens to be another game. you guys made the mod so you're not actually stealing anything, you're actually giving.

to be clear, i wasn't complaining about your mod or your methods of updating. on the contrary, i LOVE your mod. it was the very first HL2 mod that i found and it's of my favorite N64 game ever. honestly, i wish i knew a thing or two about modding so that i could help you out. i was just curious because i see tons of mods on moddb, but only 1/3 of those are actually listed in steam.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:07:23 pm »

I would agree, if post 4.1 you don't load up the game every day/week/month, keeping an eye on us about our updates is as easy as two simple things!

1."watching" us on moddb.com
2. Becoming a member of our public steam group.

Here are the links to both of these functions. In all honestly, if you are any kind of fan and think of yourself as a supporter of our free-made product, you SHOULD be doing both these small and mutually beneficial things already!!

moddb.com watch link
http://www.moddb.com/ (while logged in)

steam community GES group link
http://steamcommunity.com/ (log-in required)

on0bi

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »

ya, i've been watching the mod on moddb since i found it, and i just barely joined the steam group like an hour ago lol

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »

What about an RSS feed?

Did you guys make that thing? I mean you can also send a mass email to all the fans of GES that there is a new update.

Like make a form on the ges home page, that people can input their email address, and when a new update comes out, they will be alerted immediately of a new GES update. 

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »

Well we have the option to send a mass email via the forums.  Which for a release I don't see being an issue.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:33 am »

I did use the forum email system for the beta 4 news post.

Thing is of the 3000 emails it returned a couple hundred meaning the adresses some people used are not accepting incoming mail anymore.

Make sure you have your most current email address linked to your GE:S forum account. This makes a release email alert certain to reach you instantly :)

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »

Forum email would most likely be sent out first..  then steam group, main page, ect..

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 06:15:26 pm »

Unless anyone here has good relations with Nintendo AND Rare AND anyone else affiliated with JB and/or GE64, I don't think we can get it Steam-supported. Copyright laws are a sticky business.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:22 am »

Unless anyone here has a lot of money to share with Nintendo AND Rare AND anyone else affiliated with JB and/or GE64, I don't think we can get it Steam-supported. Copyright laws are a sticky business.
Fixed. These kind of things are always about money.
If M$ and Nintendo would have found an agreement on the XBLA version of GE64, it would have been because M$ offering more money.
Having good relationships to the licence holders doesn't mean anything, because friendship ends whenever money is involved.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up