GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:01:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you celebrate Earth Hour 2010 today?  (Read 8641 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Did you celebrate Earth Hour 2010 today?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:50 pm »

and then watch all the power plants explode with all the excess power.  ;)

Incorrect. Power plants wouldn't explode due to loss of load, their motors would run free causing potential runaway motor (then explosion!). However, households account for a small percentage of total power usage. The main users are businesses and other sources which run large AC, Heating, Water Pumps, you name it. Although the collective power use by houses is large.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 04:09:15 am »

The main users are businesses and other sources which run large AC, Heating, Water Pumps, you name it.

So this GES forum is owned by a large corporation, which runs AC's, heaters, useless eletricity, etc etc

Maybe you guys should migrate the web to a green hosting company like Hostgator. I use them, best webhosting i think.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:24:48 am »

Wind stops blowing and the server farm loses power..  brilliant!
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »

green hosting company like Hostgator.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

I go to their website and it says "Powered by 130% Wind Energy". Are they joking? That eliminates their credibility pretty much right there.

Either way, the dirty secret to wind energy is you don't have your power connected to the wind turbines. The company that owns them simply connects to the grid and offers their power for sale. Meaning being a "green company" just means they pay the wind company for their power.

What happens when the wind stops blowing? Your power still runs!!?? DUH, thats because it's now being supplied by nuclear, coal, whatever. The wind company you paid is now paying the other companies to supplement for their fail. Fucking green my ass.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »

Also wind turbines are oil hungry
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 02:38:20 am »

I participated. They turned off all the lights, and some ass turned off the wifi internet, so our homework group had to stop. Then we decided to get drunk in the dark and it was all fun after that. We didn't finish our work though :/

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 05:36:19 am »

I participated. They turned off all the lights, and some ass turned off the wifi internet,

I know why, someone saw lights on the router and thought hmmmm let me turn those off to save power...

Dumbass whoever it was.

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 02:16:01 am »

I go to their website and it says "Powered by 130% Wind Energy". Are they joking?

Ahhh! How can you ever have more than 100% of you power come from any source?

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:50 am »

Also wind turbines are oil hungry
Thirsty, I would say.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 04:30:27 am »

Nah oil is manly food

The wind company you paid is now paying the other companies to supplement for their fail. Fucking green my ass.
Yeah when I do a rotten shit my ass is more green than most the green movement. Like greenpeace having diesel powered boats in the ocean to protest oil drilling.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:32:52 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:42 am »

CLIMATEGATE - nuff said
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 03:16:51 am »

As for the holiday, maybe they should change it completely and do like take off the bandwidth cap on my ISP for 1 hour or maybe more, so I can have more upload speed and shit.

If your ISP turned off their per user bandwidth cap, EVERYONE would be "clogging the tubes" and your ISP would be effectively useless, dropping packets left and right, until the cap was re-enabled.  Trust me, those caps are there for a reason.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 03:35:00 am »

Well, ok... That is kind of what I meant by "clogging the tube".  If you tube is the size of a medium sized state, theres no way in hell you can saturate it.

But any NORMAL user will have a very small "tube" (aka Comcast, DSL, etc) and is easily saturated.

Side note: It's interesting that you brought up Gooble Fiber, KM.  I am currently attending school in Peoria, IL and they had a pretty big campaign to try and bring said Fiber network to Peoria.  I hope we get it, as the GE:S dedicated server market would be one of the first areas to improve with with that kind of network at my disposal ;)

http://www.googleplaysinpeoria.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up