GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 09:03:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Launching the Beta 3.1 Dedicated Server  (Read 4801 times)

Kyndrix

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kyndrix has no influence.
Launching the Beta 3.1 Dedicated Server
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:09:52 am »

I've been trying to set up a dedicated server for myself and some friends so we can all play but I've been having some problems.  I did the Step by Step thing from this site:
http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Beta3_Server_Install#Step_1:

I followed all the the instructions except I used the game half life 2 death match instead of the orange box as was used in the tutorial.  so i replaced all "orangebox" with "hl2mp"

When I try to open the .BAT file the cmd prompt comes on for a split second and then closes.  I managed to capture a picture of it before it crashed.

Not really sure what to do now.  I'm also using windows 7 64 bit if that has anything to do with it.  ???

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Launching the Beta 3.1 Dedicated Server
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:36:57 am »

Change it back to orangebox?

I'm no expert but that does determine what version of the engine the server is running. GE:S uses the orange box engine, HL2DM uses the Episode 1 engine, it's very different.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:39:38 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Kyndrix

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:31:14 am »

I'm able to run Goldeneye Source 3.1 and play online with only HL2:DM though. I don't see how it would run in the first place if they were both meant for different engines. Besides I don't own The Orange Box.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:11 am »

this isn't like a what the game runs off. It's what files the server downloads to run. So a Orangebox game can't run off stock HL2 Engine.

Did you try it with Orangebox? Put it on Orangebox.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kyndrix

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:59:57 am »

Do I need to own The Orange Box for this to work?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:49 am »

Shouldn't.

Try it.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:30:19 am »

You're able to run the client of GES even if you don't own a OrangeBox Game, because Valve released the SDK base 2007 a while ago.

Same should apply to the DS.
You just need to set up the server as a Orangebox engine server, it should automatically download all the files neccessary to run a OB DS.

But if you just wanna play a few rounds with friends you can also create a listen server with the ingame "create server" option.
I think there are still issues when you run a DS and join this server on the same system.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »

Why the hell would you follow the tutorial and "decide" that the tutorial is wrong and put in some random value and then complain why it doesn't work.

Some people....

Either way that is not your problem. According to your command line window it says srcds.exe is not a valid program. You need a lesson in DOS 101...

Make sure you are in the directory where srcds.exe is located or include that directory in your windows PATH environment variable. Don't ask us how to do it, that is elementary shit that can be solved with google, and maybe even if you FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:09:14 pm by killermonkey »

Kyndrix

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion I was "Complaining".  I was just asking a question because I didn't understand.  Isn't that the point of this forum?

"Some people..." right? ;) 

I've played other games and ran servers off of them and you had to own the actual game for it to work.  So I didn't think this game would be any different therefore I put in HL2DM instead of orange box. As for the DOS 101 you're right I don't know much about it but I know I put in the correct directory.  "C:\Foldername" is not that hard.  Plus I wouldn't ask you how to do it anyways since you're under the impression I pimp slapped your mother.

Anyways I redid it with orangebox and during step 3 I got this after the install.

I've looked this up and people say it doesn't matter.  So after I did that I followed the steps to the end and got this as I opened the bat file.

Not really sure what this means.  Any clues?

Oh and I did try the sv_lan 0 option with the changelevel reset command.  My friend was able to see it on the list but was unable to connect to it and when we tried again it stopped showing up at all.  I had him try it doing the same things but I couldn't see it either.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:43:29 pm by Kyndrix »

Kyndrix

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »

Oh looks like I fixed it.  ;D  instead of using the files I got in the "ges_b301_server_client"...I just copied the actual gesource file from my steam mods to the orangebox folder.

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration guys, appreciate it.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:20 pm »

;-) Good Job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up