GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:34:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for a different aiming system  (Read 2889 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Ideas for a different aiming system
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:44 pm »

Okey we all know that it was rumored that GoldenEye 007 was at first designed to be somekind of duckhunt on crack (I was too lazy to google what the actual name for such a genre is :-[)

But lets think about it... What if GE:S was designed in such a way, and then modified with such gameplay over to an FPS?

"OmGodZ, V!NCENT! Beta 4 is already inbound!" - I know... but let your imagination go wield for a sec...

Okey so there would be:
-Scripted movement
-Player controlled aim

So you are on this imaginable rail (like a train, whoohooo!) and while you go you have a crosshair ("What?! a crosshair?!" -yes a crosshair) on your screen. Now, like with a joystick (replace this by your mouse), you can aim across the screen and not have this crosshair at a fixed position... When the player moves the crosshair to, for example, the left end of the screen the player turns to the left. The more the crosshair is to the left, the faster the player turns...

Now modify that to an FPS: you derail the player and let him move forward, backward, trafe left and strafe right with the WASD keys on the keyboard.

Then take away the crosshair (Pfew...) and let it pop up GE:S style by pressign shift.

Yeah more hardcore gameplay.

Okey everyone is allowed to kill me now, but I thought that even with a crosshair it would be awesome to have in a FPS game, because static aim is not realy how people move in RL (more like an owl moves his head because his eyes can't turn) and it would evolve the FPS genre a little further...

Yaying, bashin, turning the idea inside out, it is all alowed ;)

PS: Oh nevermind this was already done in Perfect Dark Source and it's not my idea >.<
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:56:50 pm by V!NCENT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Ideas for a different aiming system
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:06:09 pm »

PS: Oh nevermind this was already done in Perfect Dark Source and it's not my idea >.<

Yah, and we learn from the mistakes of our brothers... nuff said

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »

Lol, duckhunt on crack. Its called rail shooter.
Beside that i like that genre since RE:UC, RE:DC, DeadSpace Extraction and HotD:Overkill, i doubt this would fit in any way to Goldeneye Source and for sure not for a multiplayer game at all.

A few games like conduit or metroid prime 3 are using some kind of free aiming.
But that's due the fact that they're Wii games.

I've seen some other mods doing something like this too, but so far it only makes things harder.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:35:19 pm »

Wow Vincent, all that to describe free aiming?

Well, I think free aiming has the potential to work... but it would need to be thoroughly tested and tweaked to be intuitive and useful. Anything less than that wouldn't be worth changing for.

Resistance and Liberation is a mod that has a decent free aiming system, Red Orchestra does too. However they don't work much like it would work in GE:S.

Personally I would really like to see aiming like this in GE:S, but I would settle for the current aiming system if it could not be made to work well.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:50:27 pm »

Yah, and we learn from the mistakes of our brothers... nuff said
GRAH! It was only a mistake because it was ON ALL THE DAMN TIME in PD: Source! Geez, how many times do I have to say that?

Also, I know PD: Source had inaccuracies with where your bullet actually goes in relation to the crosshairs. Perhaps for GES you could come up with an entirely different method of determining where you aim and where the shot goes.

I'm with Mangley, it has the potential to work if done right. Just because they at PDS did it one way, doesn't mean you have to do it the same.

Why does it matter to me so much? Being the GoldenEye freak I am, I feel that it is a very important aspect to the overall feel of the game.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:22:41 pm by StrikerMan780 »

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up