GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:02:17 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 100101: The Living Daylights Enters Betatesting.  (Read 7608 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.

The first working draft of The Living Daylights is now in the testing build.

As we all know, the 007 implementation of Living Daylights was pretty lame.  There was no counter for your time, so you didn't know who was leading until it was over, and even then you don't know by how much.  And there were no ways to edge out your opponents with strategy.  So, LD needed a major refit and that's what I gave it.

Methods of Scoring.

1) Carry the flag.  Time spent carrying the flag counts toward your score.  You must carry for up to 12 seconds to earn a point.  Points will be awarded faster when the player count is high and you have just picked up the flag, but scoring periods always lengthen to 12 seconds.  (5 per minute)

2) Pick up equipment.  Just because you can't use any items does not mean you can't grab them.  Deny your opponents while earning carry credit.  Ammo crates count as 1 second, weapons 1½, plate 2½, and full armor 3½.  Note: When you pick up a flag, your HP and AP is refilled to full.  Any HP and AP not used to restore your status is converted to carry credit, so don't worry about taking an armor before grabbing that flag, you will get your item credit either way.

3) Slap 'em silly.  Each time you successfully damage an opponent while carrying a flag, you steal one point from that player.  But be careful, if your opponent kills you with a slap, not only will he get your flag, but he will collect up to ten of the points you earned during that inning from carry time.

4) Run away!  When you are damaged by an opponent, a ten-second clock begins.  If you can avoid fire until it expires, you earn a point and recover 25% AP.  Each escape is worth one point more than the one previous, so you can turn five Klobb wounds into 15 points.

And introducing... Team Living Daylights.

Same rules apply, except instead of one flag for every four players, there is a flag for every player on one team.  The more flags your team carries, the more points you earn but the fewer people you have carrying guns to defend with.  Can you carry them all, or are you better off protecting flags at their spawnpoints while your weakest couple players generate the points in a defended alcove?

-----
Of course the details are subject to change through testing, but that's where we stand.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:45:02 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: VC's Laboratory 100101: The Living Daylights Enters Betatesting.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

We stand well so far, judging by the above.
I'm on the fence about losing all your points to whomever slaps you, though...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:44:42 pm »

That statement was in error, copy pasted from an earlier draft.  Corrected.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:10:56 am »

Oh yes.  About a half-dozen little tweaks needed, but it's pretty tight.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »

Grab your ankles, Living Daylights is going to take over.  The only problem I see remaining is that the 1v1 is pretty standoffish, but it always was and I don't see a solution to the comedic "two people with a table between them" situation.  Three people or more, and it's epic wins.  Team is pretty good too though our testing had exactly zero teamwork going on.

Now we just need some awards and maybe achievements associated with this and then I can get started on Live and Let Die.  Baron needs a little halp, since L&LD is much more complicated, both to script and to play.  Fortunately we now have some basic HUD elements for scenarios to work with.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

VC, I think in teamplay mode there should be 1 less token then team members to force a "guard" person to be available. This will make it much more user friendly and promote that teamwork.

1v1 is stand offish for all gameplay :-D thats what makes it fun

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

Well, that sorta happens because if teams are mismatched, the extra people can only guard.  But I think thematically it is important for a team to have the option of flying full; in fact that is an objective because that completely stalls the other team's advance.  If you have a big server, 6v6 or 8v8, one guard can't cover everyone unless you huddle in one room like the SS were storming through town.

Let's get some actually co-operative team rounds under our testing belt and see if shorter flagging is important.  The other problem is with -1 flags, there can be no tokens until we hit four players without writing an exception into the formula, which is a bit dirty/valvish.  You know how I feel about circumvention hacks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up