GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 08:35:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skateboard in the snow?  (Read 8799 times)

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Skateboard in the snow?
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:24 am »

Man, what if you wanna skateboard, but there is 6" of snow out? Well build your self a Snow-Skate.

A friend and I got bored last year and threw together a Bi-deck Snow Skate. It includes fully functional Skate board bindings, and the Deck. Then went to Goodwill and picked up a pair of ski's for $5 and hacked one up. Flipped the Skate bindings, bolted it together and BOOM, skateboarding in the snow.

Here are a couple picks of our first model. It needs some tweaks and better craftsman ship, but man, its a ride. I think next year will be a long board with 2 independent ski's

and for like $5-10 you can make one of these and all you need is a drill and some bolts.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Re: Skateboard in the snow?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:33:57 am »

Good luck with pushing yourself forward ;) Skating isn't exactly like going donwhil, unless you're crazy enough to drop in with your skiteboard :P

PS: Nice Ubuntu sticker :-*

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:32 pm »

I am digging the 4 inch long screws in the 1/4 inch plywood base....

Also first thing I noticed was the Ubuntu sticker *NERDS!!*

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »

Also first thing I noticed was the Ubuntu sticker *NERDS!!*
Nerds are people with very childish and very mature interests at the same time and have zero social skills.

Geeks are people that like tech and are social and skateboarding isn't exactly for nerds. Nerds might like rollerskates *LOL*  ::)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:24 pm »

"Snow skating" is common around here, but it's basically a miniature plastic snowboard for small hills, etc.
That was certainly something else. Good idea.

And the Ubuntu sticker is win.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

That is officially the most hardcore thing I've seen since the last GE:S media update.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 06:07:44 pm »

That is officially the most hardcore thing I've seen since the last GE:S media update.
Haha... nailed it ;)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:55:50 am »

Geeks are people that like tech and are social and skateboarding isn't exactly for nerds. Nerds might like rollerskates *LOL*  ::)

Since you like to get unnecessarily complicated I would like to point out the a "geek" is officially a sideshow act. One that elicits disgust and is often an outcast of society. But hey, what's the point in arguing over the internet?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek

The computer definition has only become popular is recent times and is often attributed, much like the word "gay", to what the popular culture believes to be the correct definition.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:34 am »

Since you like to get unnecessarily complicated I would like to point out the a "geek" is officially a sideshow act. One that elicits disgust and is often an outcast of society. But hey, what's the point in arguing over the internet?
You mean geeks as in non-showering low-end computer jobs "no I will not fix your computer"-t-shirt wearing losers? They are more like total nerds and fscktards... ^^, ::)

PS: Not going to argue with you, but you were kinda disrespecting people that have a Linux hobby... <_<' I was going for educational...

PS2: Overly educational according to your link... That kinda looks like you fit the picture with your matrix-mathematics BS... So might want to take that back...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:43:26 am by V!NCENT »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »

matrix-mathematics BS...

That makes every single engineer on this planet a geek, then.

Getting back on topic: that board looks great, but I still don't get why such long bolts protruding from the skateboard. All you need is a downhill section so Mother Gravity can give you some boost.

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »

don't they actually sell snow skateboards that are very similar? As someone who skated a lot before, It be awesome to try.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »

I think the next step is putting a motor and tracks on the back to turn it into a pseudo-snowmobile/snowboard type of thing.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 09:56:41 pm »

Those bolts are there cause I was lazy and put 'em in cause grip tape is useless once wet. so the bolt heads on top offer a point for you to grip to. Just to lazy to cut the bolts.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »

That makes every single engineer on this planet a geek, then.
There's a difference between understanding it and repleying to a n00b, telling how hard it is by making an overeducated post in how hard it is to make the model of a gun point at the direction that the crosshair is looking at. That in itself was fine, if it wasn't for the fact that you could just shoot two rays, calculate the degree of the angle and then the opposite angle but whatever.

Getting ontopic as well:
Did you test it out?

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:33:50 am »

It needs some tweaks and better craftsman ship, but man, its a ride.

Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1]   Go Up