GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:16:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4th year college student wants to change major  (Read 9535 times)

rdcarden2006

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • rdcarden2006 has no influence.
    • Youtube Channel
4th year college student wants to change major
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:47 am »

Hey. I'm in my 4th year of college (I think I'm considered a junior though since I transfered earlier) and I really hate my major. I'm an Accounting major, I didn't really like it when I chose the major, but now I despise it. I want to do Computer Science, but  I'm wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to switch when I'm this deep into the Accounting program. I have no idea what I should do.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: 4th year college student wants to change major
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

Do computer science in your masters program. I suggest you start teaching yourself many different programming languages now. It doesn't make any sense to restart undergrad program.

You might have to go for an associates before they will accept you masters in CS. However, that is a lot better than dropping Accounting entirely and missing out on all those credits you may or may not have payed for already.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:49:29 pm »

If you didn't like Accounting, why did you pursue it for so long?

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »

If you didn't like Accounting, why did you pursue it for so long?

When you are in college man, it is really hard to figure out what you "like" for a major. It took me a long time to even find something...(didn't decide till the beginning of my Junior year that I wanted to do Nursing) I switched from physical therapy, to psychology, and then to nursing. Figuring out what to do with your life is a really hard thing to decide. On top of that, when he started accounting, he probably thought it was going to get better as he learned the ropes and that it was an "initial" dislike....something that would go away as he got more comfortable. Some people hate the initial couple semesters or so and then LOVE the later material. It is just a really hard thing to figure out....I feel you pain dude. You will figure it out :) Don't fret though man, it isn't a race to finish school. Granted, money might build up, but it is A LOT more important that you DON'T HATE WHAT YOU DO!!!! Finding something you like is really the most important thing since you don't want to be at a job for the rest of your life that annoys you to death and you can't stand the people/position. Take an easy man, you'll figure it out :)

Also, KM does bring up a good point. Possibly consider that :) Have you talked to your adviser about this? Or maybe a career services personnel if your school has one? They can be of GREAT help when figuring out a alternate plan so far in your life.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:13:03 pm by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

rdcarden2006

• Agent
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:18:31 pm »

The only real reason I did accounting because I heard the job market was healthy for accountants. I never had any real interest, although I do like math (but that's sort of a loose connection). But now, I realize that was a dumb reason, especially if you just don't like it. I really don't know much as far as programming languages, but it's something I am very interested in learning. If you want to get real deep into my thinking, I just want to make something that's tangible. Thanks for the responses though. I did some calculations, and I think I would have to go an extra 2 years to fulfill the CS major, which I believe I'm ok with.

P.S. As you may have noticed, I don't post that often in the forums, but have been reading for long time. I really love the original Goldeneye 007 and this mod. It's clear that a lot of work has been put into this. Keep it up. (That's what she said)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:03 pm »

The only real reason I did accounting because I heard the job market was healthy for accountants. I never had any real interest, although I do like math (but that's sort of a loose connection). But now, I realize that was a dumb reason, especially if you just don't like it. I really don't know much as far as programming languages, but it's something I am very interested in learning. If you want to get real deep into my thinking, I just want to make something that's tangible. Thanks for the responses though. I did some calculations, and I think I would have to go an extra 2 years to fulfill the CS major, which I believe I'm ok with.

P.S. As you may have noticed, I don't post that often in the forums, but have been reading for long time. I really love the original Goldeneye 007 and this mod. It's clear that a lot of work has been put into this. Keep it up. (That's what she said)

Yeah man, totally had those exact feelings about my majors...very LOOSE connections. Just know you are not alone with these feelings and that A LOT of college students have this same problem. At least you are making the effort to change it now. There were two students that graduated years ago, that I can remember, that found themselves not doing ANYTHING job related to what they majored in because they HATED what they did. In other words, their money and work put into what they were doing was pointless. I am just glad you are figuring this out now so you can fix it. Just know if you ever get down about this, just remember you are not alone. (coming from someone who had the same thing happen) :)

Take it easy,
Saint
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:26:37 pm by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:38:34 pm »

Don't regret it, and complete the course.  Obviously don't follow it into graduate work, but get the paperwork and then switch into your next dream.

Just becuase you aren't an accountant doesn't mean the wisdom isn't useful.  If you land a position where you will be working around accountants, the bach in it will be good for you.  If nothing else, sharks will know they can't screw around with your books without you catching them, and at best you'll be seen as someone that people in finances can work with and not just another introverted self-centered aspergers IT freak punk kids.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 02:18:23 am »

VC is right. You will see a lot of fucking weird ass people in CS major. Those people are NOT making it much farther then the nearest video game company. Serious folks, like myself ;-), know that you need to be CROSS disciplined and definitely aware of what is out there.

Taking such a broad step from accounting to CS might come to an advantage in a major filled with "off" people. I am no expert, although I have taken a lot of schooling, but you should definitely get the degree you have pursued thus far AND THEN get another one.

Nothing makes you more marketable then being able to point to a wall full of education (with exception to experience).

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

I talked my best friend out of accounting.  I don't know what he does now.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

rdcarden2006

• Agent
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:53 pm »

Nice comic lol. I'm going to talk to my advisor next week. I'm pretty sure I am going to finish my accounting degree (which has a business management minor built into the curriculum). The only thing I'm not sure about when I want to do my Computer Science degree: while I'm still an undergrad and do a double major or after I graduate and then come back. It depends on how my financial aid works, since that is the only reason I'm able to take classes right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up