GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 04:03:46 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respawning Glass??  (Read 8838 times)

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WatchMyTrace has no influence.
Respawning Glass??
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:29 am »

How do make the glass repawn?

also; what texture are you using for the glass in control?

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: Respawning Glass??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:29:35 am »

glass in control are (mostly) props.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »

Control glass is crap.  Library glass was a hack.

Glass is properly implemented in Beta 4.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:19:30 pm »

What i need to know is how do i make my glass in the map I'm creating respawn? ive tried googling it with no luck, also what i'm looking for is any breakable glass texture that is tinted like the ones in control and library.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

How do make the glass repawn?

??? wow i must have been real tired when i wrote that!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:31:25 pm by WatchMyTrace »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:51:28 pm »

It will be fixed in B4 however, check out the "point_template" entity. Read up and enjoy lol

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:18:07 pm »

You suggest he study a contrived and obsolete hack?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:02:32 am »

ok ive been messing around with the curved control glass tied to props_physics_respawnable but the only glass prop i can find is the curved one is there more? and is there another way to do it not using physics so that the glass doesnt fall when pushed or in my case as soon as the map loads?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:46:56 am »

Make the prop a prop_physics. And set flags: Don't take physical damage, motion disabled,prevent pickup, and prevent motion enable on player bump.

only the curved glass is a model, all others is just a func_breakable.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:49:19 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:56:28 am »

got it working using the method from library  :D  what a headache though!  >:(  hopefully by fixed in beta4 you mean simply using the entity func_rebreakable.

now i have another problem though, i'm trying to make armor spawn inside a moving elevator, is that even possible?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:58:32 am by WatchMyTrace »

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:38 am »

You would need to spawn it at the top and allow it to fall into the elevator through one of those hatches that let action heroes get on top of elevator cars.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:21:33 am »

Why spawning ammo, armor, weapons, w/e inside of an moving elevator?

Just watch what happens on ge_citadel_luch when you destroyed the glass above the main room.
The gun will spawn, is falling to the ground and the engine will relocate it to it's spawning position.
The same thing would happen in your case.
As there is no possibility to attach the ge_w/e-spawner to another entity, simply because it's not supposed to be like that.

Do yourself a favor and place the weapon & ammo somewhere else not in the elevator.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:19 am »

Easy fix: make the elevator a normal room and make the rest of the map a moving entity, or have a spawn in the "up" and "down" locations.  Sometimes you'll have two armors in there, but that's just to be fair to the guy who's been pushing the arrow button on the other floor for two minutes because he's not taking the stairs god damn it.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »

^^ROFL

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:18 pm »

Moving elevators suck in multiplayer anyway since there are issues with prediction and wrongful deaths. To sum it up, getting in an elevator with any type of lag and jumping will most likely cause pain infliction.

Spawning things in an elevator is just as bad, I suppose you *could* parent the spawner entity to the elevator, but that would probably not produce good results. The calculation to teleport the armor/ammo/weapon back to it's proper position uses the current position of the spawner entity as the test so that would not be so bad.

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 03:40:02 pm »

It's not possible to parent the spawner to anything, there's simply no Parent parameter in there.
Creating one won't solve the problem, too. There's no code for it in the engine and Orangebox also seems to have a problem with func_door parented to a moving entity like Tracktrain.

It's also not possible to disable a ge_w/e-spawn entity in a map, otherwise i would suggest you to have the tracktrain activating the entity when it reached a certain pathnode and stoped there.
Ofc. it would have to be deactivated again if the elevator starts moving, otherwise the entity will simply relocate to it's spawn location and might block the elevator.

If you ask me, simply forget about this idea and return to the more vital things you have to take care of in your map.

I might have another idea soon, but first i need to check if it's working.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »

It's not possible to parent the spawner to anything, there's simply no Parent parameter in there.

constraints. However i would highly advise against!!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:14 pm »

I can say from experiences (having a like 100 story long elevator in old Dam), If your going to add a elevator, keep it below 2 stories max. The elevator in Carrington Inst. was fun, and offered some fun gameplay, as it was a simple two level elevator.

Anymore levels and you run into a problem with selecting which level you want.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

WatchMyTrace

• Secret Agent
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »

I posted this question on the Fpsbanana forum and this was one idea i got back,

from Brainz: "You could add two spawners, one at the top and one at the bottom.

When the elevator is at the bottom, the top one is disabled, when the elevator is at the top, the bottom one is disabled, when the elevator moves, both are disabled."

What would be the proper I/O to do that?

from fibbs: "Use an env_entity_spawner and set the template to the point_template you're trying to parent. env_entity_spawner is pretty much idetical to point_template except that it has things for auto-spawning."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:37:18 pm by WatchMyTrace »

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 06:35:19 am »

^^not sure if you are able to remove this entity again in a way it will be able to respawn.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up