GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 04:43:34 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacker detection?  (Read 10731 times)

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
Hacker detection?
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:29 am »

AFAIK, this one guy who called himself "Kaiser Tarkin" is hacking. Just AFAIK, because the last time I played against him, I could never kill him. IIRC, I shotgunned him in the stomach at point blank and he didn't die. And he only died once or twice per match against 4 or 5 other people!

How do we catch hackers?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Hacker detection?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:35:33 pm »

If you bring up accusitions like this, please provide evidence.
Only saying i wasn't able to kill him, so he's hacking, isn't an evidence.

you can record a game using the
Code: [Select]
demo <insert name the file should have>
command in console.

Code: [Select]
stopdemo
To end record.
The file can be found in ...Steamapps/sourcemods/gesource/

As for Kaiser Tarkin, I played against him a few times and he's really good.

And your description lacks a few very vital points, like:
- your latency
- his latency
- the server
- the weaponset
- the level
- the names of the other players

Even I can have a score of lets say 20 - 0 sometimes, i've also been accused of hacking just because of winning a round.
I never used any kind of hack/cheat on GES or any other Multiplayer or Online Game.
(except of Goldeneye 64 where we always used the "No Radar" cheat and sometimes the button combination to get more multiplayer characters)

In the event that you got real evidence, get a hold of the server admin(s) and show them what you got.
I'm sure they wanna have Hackers banned from the server, too.

As for now i suggest you to get more familiar with the game, and by the time you'll see you're getting better and better, maybe that good that you own the rest of the ppl on the server and getting accused for it. ;)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:29 pm »

KT is listed on ges-stats, with accuracy of 14.3%.  My accuracy is 34.3%.

Sharpen your skills.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »

Just because people don't die right away doesn't mean they're hackers.
It could also mean they've got a better connection to the server (which means sometimes you'd THINK you hit them but in fact you didn't) and/or a good knowledge of the map so they'll just refresh their body armor if needed.

Also in FFA (standard deathmatch) it's not like everyone is out to get you... especially on larger maps you wouldn't find an enemy behind every corner and it's often possible to avoid being caught between 2 or more other players if you take a look on your radar regularly.

P.S.: Yeah, if you'd ever been on a server with VC you'd agree he's a nightmare... once you'd see him you'd be most likely dead, but I don't think he's hacking just because of that. ^^

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »

::)
Sigh.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:19:30 am by JessEH [The Beatles pwn j00!] »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:32 pm »

People have good/bad days. I was in a game other day with WNx Jimbo, and he was extremely good, with a 8 or so person server, never saw him die... was a little odd... but no evidence = no conviction.

And I'm not a terrible player... of course this is from Jan 27 2009, so i've had some practice since.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:03:35 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »

WTF HAX

Kaiser Tarkin pretty much came in and started destroying everyone right from when he started playing (I'm not entirely sure how), and he accumulated 3 weeks of total play time on the WNx server in a month (I've been playing for a week total within the past six months).

If he was hacking, he'd have been VAC banned by now or discovered/monitored and banned by a server admin.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22:40 am »

If the "rampage" voices are ever brought back in a bearable way, I'd like OWS's "Holy shit" to be user Kirby teh Pink screaming "TARKIIIIIIN!!"

The accusation fails, by the way.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:56:59 am »

Wasn't that Cradle? Cradle doesn't count. Ever.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »

People have good/bad days. I was in a game other day with WNx Jimbo, and he was extremely good, with a 8 or so person server, never saw him die... was a little odd... but no evidence = no conviction.

Jimbo is good. Period. Along with many GE:S players out there. Tarkin is good, definitely, but he isn't that good. He just played for a lot of time.

And it's like people have said here, including Major who I quoted: without evidence there can be no conviction. I can tell you that we, at the WN servers, keep a tight leach on players and if we ever catch an hacker, he or she will be banned.

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 08:59:36 pm »

1. He destroys everyone he's near.
2. He always has unusually high health, as far as I can tell.
3. If you kill him, it's after he's killed you multiple times.
4. How does he stay at the top with 14% accuracy?

His skill is ludicrously buffed, as far as I can tell.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »

14% accuracy just means he rides the trigger. Ammo is so damn abundant in Goldeneye that you can get away with lots of spamming.  We brought the ammo down to about 50% if GE007 and it's still flowing like wine.

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:42:10 am »

1. He destroys everyone he's near.

Those people need to practice then. Have you even seen any of the good people play yet, beside Tarkin? Such as Nalle, CJL, myself, or Viashino?

2. He always has unusually high health, as far as I can tell.

Two words. Armor control.

3. If you kill him, it's after he's killed you multiple times.

Again, see the response to "1."

4. How does he stay at the top with 14% accuracy?

He's at the top simply because he's played a ridiculous amount of time, as to accumulate a ridiculous amount of kills/points.

He doesn't hack. Trust me. He's been put to shame many times.

But he's definitely not bad. He's good. I enjoy playing with him.

By the way, I won't be playing regularly again until Beta 4 comes out. I trust that will be before the end of this year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:36:49 am by JessEH [The Beatles pwn j00!] »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:35:11 am »

Yesterday i had a game against 3 ppl, and by against i mean they teamed up against me from the moment i joined. We played a few rounds and they didn't manage to kill me a single time.

Guess what happened. I was called haxor.
In fact i'm not the best GES player by far, but fraggin these ppl was as easy as eating pancakes.

One thing i'm really tired of, are GES newbies who accuse long time GES players of hacking & cheating just becourse they don't stand a chance against them.

If i start playing a game which is totally new to me, i cannot be seriously thinking i can instantly own all the ppl who've been playing this game for months/years.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:26 pm »

but fraggin these ppl was as easy as eating pancakes.
i like pancakes

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 01:10:07 am »

but fraggin these ppl was as easy as eating pancakes.

Interesting simile.

Indeed, I don't know how so many people can enter a new game, get destroyed by anyone in the top 50's and then accuse them of cheating.
Unless you have a way to test for that, it's impossible to tell just by playing with the naked eye.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:12:12 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 12:08:40 am »

Jimbo is good. Period. Along with many GE:S players out there.

Yeah, I have my moments.  Not many, but I do have them. ;D  Well Maxaxle, I know how easy it can be to assume that if someone has a ridiculous K/D ratio, that they must be hacking...I used to think the same way about players like VC, Nalle, etc when I first started playing the mod.  But as my skills developed, I realized they were just better than me, and still are.  So just keep practicing.  Like others have already said...if you see something suspicious, gather evidence to forward to a server admin according to Kraid's guidelines.  I don't think there's any GES server admin that would condone cheating, and they would certainly welcome vigilance from regular players like us.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up