GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 01:59:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7: Tested in depth  (Read 7528 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Windows 7: Tested in depth
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303203,00.htm

You see Windows 7 is just vista with a more revamped engine, and added a coat of high glossy look.

Does it perform faster than Windows xp? Not really. I saw many benchmarks at tomshardware and Windows XP PRO SP3 performed much faster. Sure Windows 7 performed better in some apps, but that doesn't mean it performs better than xp lol. If you notice in Windows Vista and Windows 7 the Aero thing, that uses tons of ram, and with all that shiny, polished interface, that stuff uses a lot of ram and i know many users will turn it off to gain performace. Windows xp doesnt even have much of those stuff.

XP minimum amount of ram is 256.  Vista is 1gb and windows 7 is 1gb. Huge difference. But you could still run Win 7 or vista with 512 with some tweaks.

Im going to stick with Windows xp Sp3 for a long time, because games run fast, applications run extremely fast, theres compatibility with all apps with this OS, and I love it..  That is just my own opinion.

jezuz i never typed so much in the past :(

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Windows 7: Tested in depth
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »

Windows XP is fast.... when you first install it. After a year of use, windows xp becomes bloated and slow whereas windows vista / 7 is still running the same speed.

Windows XP offers little to absolutely no protection to the end user from most of the more sophisticated viruses out there. With windows vista / 7 you don't even need a virus scanner if you are vigilant about what you authorize (User Access Control). I feel so much more secure on Vista than I ever did on XP, it's also 1000x more convenient. Drag/drop, copy/paste, whatever is a lot more streamlined with prompts that actually let you skip files instead of failing outright.

Yah Vista had/has its problems, but the past two years that I have been using it on both my desktop and laptop I am absolutely confident I would NEVER go back to XP even for a modest gain in speed.

EDIT:

The benchmarks that are in that article all show one thing. XP IS SLOWER THEN VISTA AND WIN7. Why? Take the boot time for example. Vista and Win7 load up all their graphics and everything else associated with the OS in only 1 second longer than XP. Take the iTunes encoding, that has nothing to do with OS performance and everything to do with Processor and internals. The Shutdown performance is a quasi-worthless statistic, but revealing anyway. It is a tough sell for XP, it is doing so much LESS than the others, yet takes the same amount of time to do it. That sounds like a LACK of performance to me. Installing anything on that XP machine that starts on boot and I guarantee that startup time will grow exponentially whereas Vista/7 will still be around 40 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:11:32 pm by killermonkey »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:19:30 pm »

If your computer sucks... stick with XP. If your computer has 1.5+GBs of ram, dual core cpu, you wont ever really notice a difference between XP-vista-W7.

I've been running W7 for a long time now(maybe year in total with all the builds) and I can say is that it works fine, equal to better then Vista. And I can't compare XP to Vista cause I haven't ran XP in so many years.

Cue VC's rant about W2000/Linux.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »

What if it takes my compy about five minutes to boot up?   ;D

Time for an upgrade?  :P

Deed

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Deed has no influence.
    • HAHAHAHA; FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:21 pm »

Yes.  You need to throw away whatever garbage you're using now. :P

Or to clean up your damn OS...

Vista-on-a-Dell-Inspiron user here--Vista simply works.  It works so well in fact that I'm in no hurry to upgrade to 7, as nice as that may be.  Vista's definitely been improved huge amounts, even before the first service pack, as I had almost no problems with it when I got my laptop at the end of 2007.

I once jerked off on facility with the m4 in my hand...

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:06:50 pm »

If your computer sucks... stick with XP. If your computer has 1.5+GBs of ram, dual core cpu, you wont ever really notice a difference between XP-vista-W7.
Windows 7: awesome task bar. Yeah that's it. Oh yeah optimised for boot performance. Everything else: Less controll, slowness, incompatibility with olders games. Sucky performance with games that are "Games for Windows".

Yup: Windows sucks, Windows 7 sucks more than XP.

My hardware:
AMD Phenom X4 9950
8GB Kingston RAM
ATI HDRadeon X2 4870 + onboard x1400
1GB Samsung HDD

Currently:
Windows XP sucks for security
Windows Vista and 7 suck for backwords compatibility for games and performance
Linux currently sucks because of the X.org drivers mess
Mac OS X is too expensive and does nothing the right way.

Okay people: All OS's currently suck. I hope all the X.org stuff gets fixed, along with KDE4 and Wine so that I can go back to Linux.  ::)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:29:24 pm »

1GB Samsung HDD

GOD WHAT A SHITTY ASS COMP YOU HAZ! ZZZZOMG!!!! NO WONDER WHY ALL YOUR OS'S SUCK!! :D :D :D :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:22:20 am »

GOD WHAT A SHITTY ASS COMP YOU HAZ! ZZZZOMG!!!! NO WONDER WHY ALL YOUR OS'S SUCK!! :D :D :D :D

That'll do it. Damn those 1GB HDDs!
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:55:38 pm »

I don't have any space left for teh deagle frum cs :'( OMG!!!!!1111

Lol I can't believe I typed a G instead of a T :')
Pages: [1]   Go Up