GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 12:21:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goldeneye Community  (Read 4901 times)

jjmusicnotes

Goldeneye Community
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:10:15 am »

Alright, so, I've noticed that several people have made observations similar to "we lost the majority of our fan base due to server issues (which Valve caused) after the Beta 3 release."

I guess I'm just curious as to what the thoughts are of the development team for reestablishing the fan base.

I mean, it's all swell and good if you release a tricked out Beta 4, but, what's the point if no one's going to know about it?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Goldeneye Community
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:47:06 am »

HAHA, I have been asking that question in the dev forums for a month now...

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:06:36 am »

Fanbase is your job.  Get people to play with you, just like in the old days.

One method; and a good one.

Regardless, need moar PR.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:08:09 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »

The following isn't about finding new players. It's about keeping new players...

You guys should make a thoroughly detailed manual. You need to refresh the memory of new players. You should explain the game modes. You should really explain the invul period (and let them know that it was indeed in the original).

Tell people how to play. Explain the mechanics. Give them the numbers. Show them how it is or isn't faithful to the original.

I hate hearing "I sprayed like a hundred bullets into that guy and he didn't die! I don't remember GE being like this! RAGE QUIT FOREVER!".

A lot of that info is in the wiki, yes? It seems hidden. You should force this info down people's throats.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:27:04 pm by JessEH [The Beatles pwn j00!] »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:56:00 pm »

JessEH, GREAT points. If you know how to edit a wiki I implore you to help us with ours. As I have written the two articles in my signature (Release Docs and Changelist) there are a lot of areas for improvement.

If you edit some of this info into the Release Docs, I think a very appropriate place would be in the Advanced section.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:12:01 pm »

Telling them about the damage system doesn't help much, since many don't understand anyway.

The problem is that we have a decade of UT, Quake, Counterstrike, and Pretty Cool Guy where fatalities happen whenever you hold the trigger down and look near someone for no more than 2000ms with almost any weapon.  Shoot more always makes up for aim more in those games.

There are no games in the market that I know of that punish bad hits with good guns enough that good hits with bad guns, so it is a foreign experience for someone to get RC-P90, spam 40 rounds into someone with armor, and then see that player run away with said RC-P after delivering two shots to the head with a sighted PP7.

Badgering noobs with technial details won't help -- if they're interested they'll ask or surf the wiki.  What we need is to ensure we are delivering an experience so awesome that players will enjoy it even when losing* so they will play long enough to get the feel of the game.  I'm thinking more "negative" achievements (like how TF2's Sniper has an achievement for being shanked) to keep players feeling like they're doing something even when they're failing it.

* This is a cultural problem.  In 007, you played with your friends and you couldn't just hop to a new game that had shittier players when you weren't the big fish.  You had to keep trying to win that one glorious round where you managed to establish and control the top weapon and armor.

Thus, we must encourage players to form groups.  Small groups, up to five, that play together in DM and against each other in teamplay scenarios, on a regular basis.   We need a few dozen mini-clans that can insta-seed servers.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »

OWS is getting stronger, thank the lard.

EDIT: Yay, 100th post.
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:08:14 pm »

Indeed it is.

Agreed with the point on groups of players. It's a big part of what GE007 was/is, and creates a more solid connection to the game than always just running from place to place on your own.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:35:30 pm »

I know I'm always looking to get more people. In fact, just yesterday I had someone asking me about GE:S. The internet is vast an infinite, and we can potentially get people in on GE:S in every nnok and cranny. All you really have to do is just tell all your friends and try to get them playing. GE:S is still in earlier stages, and that lets us have more time of how to get the word out about the game and build a bigger fanbase.

One of the main things that can kinda renew interest is if there are things like events. Maybe a tournament on this forum instead of having them on clan forums (if they have them). If you have staff interacting with members, and boost overall activity then people might stick around for the next event. Have SteamGroup chats so people can ask questions and get immediate answers and just overall have fun with the other members of the community.

One last idea would be a Team Dev vs. Team Comm(unity) night. This would allow the community to size up against the developers and see just who comes out on top.

I can't think of any other ideas at the moment, but once I do, I'll let you all know.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:41:46 pm by Ruone Delacroix »
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:29 pm »

There have been over 19,500 people on the wnx servers. ge:s in highly ranked on moddb...

If the game is super awesome in the end then you will automagically see more and more people coming to play it with thier friends.

No need for marketing lol

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:33:22 am »

Yeah, but I think if the devs are mor involved with the community (I know you're all busy and stuff), then we can retain more members.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!
Pages: [1]   Go Up